Warrior Which PT member do you fear the most?

Discussion in 'Disciples of War' started by The47thSen, Feb 6, 2014.

1. The47thSen

The47thSen Scion

For me, it was mostly bards and monks/dragoons. Until last weekend when I got Haukke roulette with a summoner. I had never been busier in my whole (albeit short) tanking career.

I often alternate between enemies with our standard 3 hit combo to evenly spread the hate and make sure they'll not run off suddenly. I may use overpower once in a while but it's rarely necessary other than as the initial hit.
    T1 - heavy swing
    T2 - skull thunder
    T1/T3 - i don't remember what it's called.

But this summoner, I honestly don't know how he was doing it. He was no.2 enmity on every single mob, and very often just a pixel away from peeling it away from me. Sometimes I had to stop mid combo and just spam overpower to stop them running off. A couple mobs would actually run off then turn around again meaning for a moment in time, he did manage to steal hate from me.

TL;DR - godly summoner is godly.

Now I know why the bestest tank I know says a truely good summoner is fearsome.

2. Crimson Requiem

Crimson Requiem Scion

Dots and Bane which spreads the dots to nearby enemies.

Basically I do Tomahawk, Overpower, and then do regular combos. Switch to the next mob and repeat. You don't have to be hitting the same mob the whole time. I just let the DD deal with them. I just make sure I have Max aggro on all mobs.

I fear none of them because I've played all the DD jobs so I know how they work.

3. Gara Bloodreaver

Gara Bloodreaver Scion

Summoners are indeed scary. I daresay my ilvl 70 summoner is almost on par (not there yet) with my ilvl 90 MNK in terms of damage. It surprised the hell outta me and if wasn't for my masochistic nature of being in the fray I would start to main as smn.

4. Nichigo

Nichigo Content Moderator

More overpower and flash. The biggest thing I learned when raising my tank is that you can almost never over use AOE hate generation.

I agree on summoners though. I think they're scary because they're so subtle. They don't make alot of "noise" so you never really expect them to do so much damage and pull so much hate.

racooperii and garion like this.
  5. Bizant

Bizant Scion

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Man I feel like a loser. I thought SMN was the one class that DRGs could safely out-DPS, but apparently that was a bad assumption! Are Dragoons just totally bottom of the pile? I still have hopes that our single-target DPS beats Bards'... tell me that's the case.

6. Nichigo

DRG and MNK are the highest DPS'ers period. The problem is that most people don't actually play them at their full potential due to their learning curve/need to dodge.

Summoner is a great balance and tends to be the highest DPS (in the hands of a skilled player) over a longer fight due to it's mobility and consistent application of DoT's.

DRG is on top of the pile. But when their ideal "rotation" is a 27-skill non repeating pattern...

7. Gara Bloodreaver

Gara Bloodreaver Scion

On the plus side dragoons are the least squishiest dps able to use medium armor.

Seriously though except for the occasional fester, which can crit for 1200 damage at ilvl 70-ish, summoners dont get much for burst damage. But the speed the multiple dots ticking bring down health is horrifying, to the target that is. Ive noticed in AK just with one application of dots plus shadow flare then bane to spread them to surrounding targets will take down almost 1/4 of the health of most of the mobs. Thats just one full application of dots, not counting any burst damage spells. Meanwhile im sipping iced tea watching everything die before my eyes. Its a great feeling...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  8. Bizant

Bizant Scion

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Oh, that's awesome! I've got the massive pattern down pretty well now so I guess my DPS is just fine. I don't have one of those parsing (correct term?) programs, so I never know how I'm stacking up against the other DPS guys. My day is made.

Yeah I do enjoy the lack of squish. It's totally possible to be a temporary tank if the MT dies and needs a raise.

9. Nichigo

Threat is directly related to your DPS...so you can use that as a rough gauge of how you're doing against other party members (tank and healer excluded).

10. Zheri

Zheri Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    This is just not true when dealing with a good SMN, BLM, or Holy-spamming WHM. The best way I've found to deal with these classes that generate a huge amount of AoE threat is to Infuriate and Berserk before the pull, Steel Cyclone and Flash while getting everything into position, then Overpower before starting to tab around the Butcher's Block combo. Also, Steel Cyclone on 5 Wrath stacks if you do not need the mitigation/healing of Inner Beast, otherwise, weave an Overpower between every 2 combos. My rotation usually looks like this

Infuriate > Berserk > Pull w/ Steel Cyclone > Flash/Vengeance > Overpower > Heavy Swing > Maim > Storm's Path (hardest hitting mob) > Heavy Swing > Skull Sunder > Butcher's Block > Steel Cyclone > Overpower > Heavy Swing > Maim > etc.

Try that next time and I guarantee you will not have threat issues no matter who is in your group.

Metroid Uzumaki and Artorias like this.
  11. Artorias

Artorias Crystal Brave

^Even when a good warrior uses their best rotation, I still find myself having to use Quelling Strikes ever so often when doing single target DPS. (Goes without saying that I pretty much keep QS on constant cooldown when AoE DPS'ing) Even on bosses I sometimes have to burn it. Not very often though.

12. Skylock

Skylock Crystal Brave

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    DoTs + Bane are a monsterous combination, and can make it a pain for tanks. In lower dungeons, I tend not to use it until I know the tank has a firm grip on everything we're fighting.

For some reason, whever I run Toto-Rak with a Bard, they always seem to take it from the tank. Its funny though, because that's the only dungeon that I notice it happening. :p

13. Versiroth

Versiroth New Member

With my Warrior, I normally infuriate/Steel Cyclone to start, Overpower twice, and then go into my Enmity combo (tabbing around). After each combo, I'll Overpower again. I also try to have enough wrath so I can Steel Cyclone the next set of adds and then repeat.

Overpower is awesome. If there are multiple adds, there's no reason you shouldn't do it at least twice before going into your combos.

14. Gara Bloodreaver

Gara Bloodreaver Scion

OPx2-flashx2-steel cyclone. Group hate is yours. Just cycle BB combo throughout the group of mobs and throw out steel cyclone when its available.