What you most excited for in Stormblood?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Billy Batsonn, May 7, 2017.

1. Caimie Tsukino

Caimie Tsukino Realm Scribe

Server:
    Zalera
    Out of all 3 healers, I main WHM. I played only a tad bit of SCH back at the end of ARR, and then another tad bit of SCH lately in HW. Still, even I feel the nerf on lustrate was too much. It used to be a reliable instant heal that can give a substantial chunk of HP to a WAR. Now it is just a bit too weak.

Comparing to AST's Essential Dignity, Lustrate is weaker (600 potency), because ED can go up to 1000 potency if the target is really low on HP, so ED is a better go-to spell in a dire situation. Comparing to WHM's Tetragammatron (700 potency), Lustrate is also weaker (600 potency). Also, Lustrate COSTS an aetherflow stack, while Tetra does not cost anything. You may argue by saying you can do 2 or even 3 Lustrate one after another, but in HW aetherflow stacks have more uses and we usually need it for other things too... This actually brings in another issue, which is, I think in HW, they should have made the max aetherflow stack to be 4 instead of 3. This feel of mine is even stronger after playing level 60 SMN too. 3 aetherflow is not enough anymore! To burn off 2 aetherflow stacks at once for 2 Lustrates is a pretty big deal!

For instance:

For a WHM, you can throw down an Asylum (100 potency heal, 24 sec), use Medica II (25 yalm AoE heal, 200 potency + regen)... In a dire situation, drop an Assize (Instant AoE heal, 300 potency + MP recovery) and still use Tetragammatron on somebody (and there's still Benediction unused!)

For a SCH, you can throw down Sacred Soil (10% damage reduction, 30 sec, cost 1 aetherflow), use a Succor (15 yalm AoE heal, 150 potency + barrier)... In a dire situation, drop an Indomitability (Instant AoE heal, 400 potency, cost 1 aetherflow) and use Lustrate (Cost 1 aetherflow)... and that's already 3 stacks of aetherflow used up... with no extra aetherflow for more Lustrate.

2. Crimson Requiem

Crimson Requiem Scion

I also don't think it's fair that we only get three stacks for healing and DPS. Your hypothetical situation is sound but SCH also have other buffs and resources for healing like EOS' abilities and rouse if the party needs extra healing power. If s**t really hits the fan there is Dissipation which grants three stacks of Aetherflow instantly at the cost of sacrificing Eos/Selene. It's super annoying though because you need to time it right as it forces you to either hardcast summon or use swiftcast which both can be bad because no healing is going out. Secondly swiftcast may be needed for a raise.

I think they need to revisit that ability and just make it so that the pet is inactive for the duration of dissipation and gets automatically resummoned. SCH is already clunky enough as it is. XD

Are all the jobs getting this UI upgrade? I mean almost every job has something they need to manage. Not just DRG. XD ::CoughSMN,BLMCough::

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  3. Billy Batsonn

Billy Batsonn Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    That was the only example they gave but doubt goon would be the only one if they got a whole Live Letter for it XD

4. Zheri

Zheri Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    While T5 did have a lot of mechanics, that's all it really was. None of them had any kind of interesting interaction with each other and the fight ended up being a lot easier to deal with in practice than it looked on paper because you could deal with every mechanic one at a time. I can't say anything about T7 or 9 though. I lost interest and quit after being disappointed in T1-5 and my raid group disintegrating in the time between our Twintania kill and the release of 2nd Coil. Alex 1-4, like T5, had pretty much no interplay in its mechanics, and worse, was tuned so tightly that you needed specific tank and healer comps in order to put out the damage required to pass the checks. Bismark and Ravana were also among my least favorite Primal fights, and again, I didn't stick with the game long enough to see the 2nd raid tier.

5. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Not sure what you mean, Twintania is still my favourite trial in the game (though A8 is a contender). There was lots of mechanics which overlapped and interacted, as well as tank positioning and difficult healing points. Also because anyone could wipe the party, making everyone accountable

The amount of people hit by the Fireball determined the strength of the conflag. Most of the fight is positioning in order to affectively place neurolinks to survive Twin's Ultimate while still being able to perform other mechanics. The Vuln-down from the snake adds needed to be used to kill the biggest add, and needed to be off all the players before Twin's ultimate. The neurolinks again were used to survive the orbs thing, and the fire puddles needed to be placed so that the neurolinks were still usable.

racooperii likes this.
  6. Zheri

Zheri Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Phase 1: Stay spread out and drop poop at the edge of the room, may also have to sit on your thumb for a bit to build the LB bar depending on the strength of your DPS.
    Phase 2: Stand still in a group to counter Fireballs, move under her butt if you got Conflagged, then back to standing in the group.
    Phase 3: Stand in the hidey-hole, move out when you see green, repeat 6x. Caster LB3 the snakes then hit the big one very hard.
    Phase 4: Move for Twisters and hit/heal things.
    Phase 5: More poop, stand still so the OT can also stand still and eat balls.

There's a lot of mechanics, yet none of them are complex on their own or interact with each other in a way that makes them interesting. Neurolink positioning was simply tanking her in one spot for the entire phase and moving the the next during transitions. Speaking as someone who was coming from Heroic (now called Mythic) raiding in WoW, Twintania was pretty disappointing for an end boss.

7. Billy Batsonn

Billy Batsonn Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    bard4.gif
    bard5.gif

So Hyped So Hyped So Hyped!
    I'm one of the few that actually liked cast times with bard but this looks fun and more bard then archer with harp

Caimie Tsukino and GeekMatt like this.
  8. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Crystal Brave

I'll admit I hated bard cast timers at first, and I feel like I still disagree with them on a base level, but I have come to realize it makes things easier for me playing on a controller. Less frantically pressing all the buttons all the time. Now that we're going back I'm a little hesitant.

Crimson Requiem likes this.
  9. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    As a non-BRD who's opinion counts for nothing; I'm glad they lost their cast times and I think it's dumb that they removed the run'n'gun playstyle from the game for 2 more casters in 3.0

10. Crimson Requiem

Crimson Requiem Scion

Well from what I remember there was a heated debate about Bowmage and how it ruined the job. XD Now that it's not bowmage anymore and people have been so accustomed to it...there seems to be a lot of mixed feelings.

I for one will embrace whatever they do with the jobs. We don't really have any choice in the matter. Only choice you really have is if you enjoy the changes or not.

I think it's a good change. After all it will close the gap between Core and Casual DPS.

I think my favorite thing is the changes to healer and how they DPS.

No more stance dancing and accidentally killing the tank/party by double clicking cleric and having nerfed heals going out. I guess I can't use that as an excuse anymore. XD Well I've only done it twice over the two years that I've been playing FFXIV.

So Cleric runs off MND now and it boost DPS for a set duration of 15 seconds I believe and it doesn't interfere with healing like gimping it.

So happy that BLM has AoE DoT. I really hated having to manually target each mob to thunder 1 in hops of getting thunderstorm proc. XD Now we have AoE Thunder II and Thunder IV. No more raging strikes though. T_T

11. Caimie Tsukino

Server:
    Zalera
    I wanna see Fybrile coming back picking up his bow again! :)

Crimson Requiem likes this.
  12. Jinzuku

Jinzuku Vice Administrator

Server:
    Phoenix
    We all do

I think a lot of gamers forget that you are playing the Developer's game, they are not adding to your game. You wouldn't go complaining to an author because you didn't agree to their book's sequel.

13. Caimie Tsukino

Server:
    Zalera
    Someone might do that! You never know! Hahaha! :laugh:
    Some past TV series and movies did have their endings modified due to pressure from the audience!

14. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    What a world we live in. Sometimes I wonder if consumers have too much influence.

15. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Crystal Brave

Well who else would you voice your criticisms to other than the author?

GeekMatt likes this.
  16. Zheri

Zheri Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Mass Effect 3 springs immediately to mind.

Caimie Tsukino likes this.
  17. Crimson Requiem

Crimson Requiem Scion

They kind of don't really have a choice. They have to listen somewhat. Otherwise they gonna be bankrupt real fast. XD

18. Caimie Tsukino

Server:
    Zalera
    I think there is no absolute right or wrong answer to this. When money is tight, sometimes things just have to go the customers' way. But sometimes, game designers/artists/writers/movie directors also gotta follow through with unpopular choices or unsupported decisions.

I work in an institution. There is always a need to cater what the students want. But if EVERYTHING is done just to cater students' desires, then the university will lose its direction. There is a duty that an institution or a school has to fulfil... a responsibility towards the society, and that is to properly train students in professional standards. Students may not know or appreciate these standards, so if you let students decide everything that is given to them, the institution will become shxx, and produces doctors who are incompetent, scientists who are careless, writers who have very limited vocabulary etc.

Similarly, sometimes game designers may have to opt in for certain things even though they can foresee some customers' criticisms. Artists may create drawings that are not appreciated by people of their times. Musicians may compose music that the general public may not yet appreciate... But if these people truly know what they are doing, they may eventually become pioneers of a new era.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  19. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    Don't get me wrong I think it's a good idea for consumers to have a voice, my point was I think some consumers think that they "deserve" a bit too much.

Caimie Tsukino likes this.
  20. Caimie Tsukino

Server:
    Zalera
    Pretty clothes!!!!! Need more pretty clothes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

: stormblood