Podcast Smn or Blm for end game

Discussion in 'Disciples of Magic' started by Laventious, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Laventious

Laventious Crystal Brave

Which one is prefered? I have my smn at ilvl80 but I like blm more :p

2. Crimson Requiem

Crimson Requiem Scion

You already answered your own question.

I like SMN because I like to watch things die slowly to poisons and with a pet. If you are into the explosions more power to ya.

GeekMatt and Hermes like this.
  3. Ivy

Ivy Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    Both are equally as wanted - neither is preferred, unless you really think you're going to need the swiftcast raises from a SMN at any point in time. I myself swapped from SMN to NIN and our static does just fine with BLM/NIN/DRG/BRD (currently on T10 progression). Play whichever you like more, really - it's personal preference at this point in time. I will say though, SMN got boned in Final Coil, and BLM is catered to this patch.

4. Laventious

Laventious Crystal Brave

Lmao well blm it is for now until I get bored and role DRG or vice versa -_-

5. Skylock

Skylock Crystal Brave

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    I started out as SMN, but I haven't played the class in about 7 or 8 months because I went to BLM afterwards, and I prefer nuking over DoT damage. That being said, I still really enjoyed SMN, I just prefer BLM. I would like to see more Egis for SMN.

6. AgelessDaisy

AgelessDaisy Scion

Server:
    Jenova
    You'll want to pick a main job and gear it. We're approaching that mark where min-maxing is going to matter, since content is getting harder and you will need to make sure you are properly geared for what content you plan on doing. If you plan on being a casual, then meh. But if you're raiding, I suggest you try out Summoner. It's harder to play than a Black Mage due to pet management, but their overall DPS is nice and the DoT's they have can save your party a lot of hassle for DPS like during Blighted Boquet during T6. Everyone will have to stop, but since you have DoTs up, you'll constantly be doing damage.

Black Mage is high burst, but their biggest issue in Coil is movement and Line of Sight. A lot of mechanics require people to move around a hell of a lot, and this is Black Mages biggest weakness, if they can't see their target directly, they cannot hit it.

Metroid Uzumaki and Hermes like this.
  7. The47thSen

The47thSen Scion

Would be true for melees since they can't share gear, but casters, healers and tanks share gear so it doesn't really matter. If you have the best weapon for both black mage or summoner then you can just switch rather easily.

GeekMatt likes this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Scion

I agree. While a lot of gear is shared, I think specializing in a role is pretty important and min-maxing when possible, depending entirely on what content someone wants to cover.

9. Ivy

Ivy Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    Problem being that all of these run on entirely different stats for BiS.
    PLD = Det and Parry. Accuracy is almost more important than Parry, in a way. WAR = Crit and Parry.
    SCH = Crit and Piety (I say piety over Det because of Adlo and Aetherflow; Det is also important, of course). WHM = Det and Spell Speed.
    SMN = Crit and Det. BLM = Spell Speed and Crit or Det; take your pick. Some BLMs like big crits and things to go boom, others like big hits in general.
    To min max properly, it would be bad to share gear through all of your classes. Which of course, means more poetics to spend. If you're a player who doesn't really care about stats, more power to you, though. It's not as if SE designed FF so that you need these certain stats in order to succeed in endgame content.

10. The47thSen

The47thSen Scion

That's only important if you're going for BiS, which is rarely that important unless you're gunning for world first and every single DPS helps.

Considering that Laventious is only i80, it doesn't really matter. He can be in full SOL gear and still swap between both classes, and his only worry will be the accuracy requirements.

praysolace likes this.
  11. Ivy

Ivy Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    Some people like being BiS for their classes. It can be a preference, regardless of if it's important or not. I personally don't like playing a class unless it's min maxed properly, and I know plenty of people like that.

12. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    Both classes are very potent. For coil i much prefer to go as blm but other instances like ST or some EX Primals ( not GEX as Garuda always attacks spiny, lol). Also i have not played frontlines in like forever but once it was first introduced i recall summoners tearing people apart, my Bard died like a fly. In all go with what you enjoy to play as and don't let end game dictate it. All classes are of use really

13. AgelessDaisy

AgelessDaisy Scion

Server:
    Jenova
    Yeah I think I am putting Scholar down finally in favor of Summoner.

Crimson Requiem likes this.
  14. Caimie Tsukino

Caimie Tsukino Realm Scribe

Server:
    Zalera
    I'm with 47thSen on this one. It really depends on what content Laventious is doing... If he's not doing Second Coil any time soon, then it really doesn't matter BiS or not. He can even split his weekly poetic tomes, and have fun with both classes. i100/i110 from Syrcus Tower drops and soldiery gear are going to be sufficient for a lot of end game content including all the existing extreme primals.

I'd think it's more important to be able to play and enjoy both classes. If I were in his position, I'd gear up both classes to around i100 and have fun swapping between them.

But Laventious, really, just PICK WITH YOUR HEART!!! There's no right or wrong choices here, and you can always go back to the other class!

15. Crimson Requiem

Crimson Requiem Scion

Well seeing as BLM and SMN share pretty much the same gear minus weapons...I don't see why not play both. I know I do but I enjoy SMN a lot more for raids and endgame content. BLM has it's own merits and excel in certain fights more so than SMN.

It's nice to have both though honesty. Nothing more satisfying than seeing 3k Flares hit 5+ targets. XD

16. Laventious

Laventious Crystal Brave

Yeah true lol I'll main as a smn and when I get poetic gear I'll switch to blm and see which one I'll like better

17. Aspect of winter

Aspect of winter Crystal Brave

BLM
    Pros

-Stronger burst
    -Can technically never run out of MP (Astral/Umbral switching is a really nice feature)
    -Has the edge in single-target DPS AFAIK

Cons
    -Boring DPS rotation
    -Low mobile DPS (and this game is really designed to capitalize on lack of mobile DPS as a weakness due to a lot of bosses having AoEs that need to be moved out of quickly)
    -Instant cast procs are random - Murphy's Law says you'll NEVER get that Thundercloud proc when you need it most

SMN
    Pros

-DPS is not hurt much by movement
    -Great AoE DoT damage
    -Wide range of abilities and cooldowns

Cons
    -Dependent on pet for DPS (and yes, your pet does seem to die surprisingly easily)
    -Damage takes time to ramp up
    -Difficult class quests

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  18. Crimson Requiem

Crimson Requiem Scion

Well SMN technically doesn't run out of MP either. If you manage your DoTs and Atherflow correctly. BLM does have unlimited MP pool but you can mess up a rotation and be waiting for your MP to tick back. It takes practice like any job/class you play as. Just because BLM doesn't have a set rotation doesn't mean that it's an easy job to play.

I don't agree with BLM being highest single target dps. BLM excels when it comes to multi targeted dps that's for sure. They have high burst damage 2.5-4k Flares on multiple target is kind of hard to beat and doing that 3 times back to back in a few seconds is fun. They did up the base damage on BLM skills because their single target dps wasn't so hot. Now it's a lot more comparable to other dps on single target.

I don't consider relying on Pet for DPS as a con and Pets dying easily isn't true. You need to manage and place your pet accordingly. That's kind of the whole point and main feature of a Pet job.

19. Aspect of winter

Aspect of winter Crystal Brave

YMMV

Some people just don't like pet management.

20. Crimson Requiem

Crimson Requiem Scion

Well then SMN is definitely not for those people then. :glee: