Scholar Scholar lore cLash?

Discussion in 'Disciples of Magic' started by Aspect of winter, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Aspect of winter

Aspect of winter Crystal Brave

Has anyone else felt it was kind of odd to associate Scholar with fairy pets, given that fairies tend to be shy and peace loving in most forms of fiction whereas the Scholar class is described as being a military strategist?

Of course, It's not very clear in the storyline whether the ancient Scholars were fanatical warmongers or were peacemakers simply trying to protect Nym and its people during the magical wars of that time. I also found out that Harley from FF4 was a Scholar and she is described on the wiki as hating conflict and violence...

Thoughts?

Ormond likes this.
  2. Kredo

Kredo Crystal Brave

How I see it is that you work for the Marauder guild as just a scholar and happened to be the only ones whould have read the stones to get you the faeries. I guess since you release them they follow you and help you support the people in the front lines. If you think of a tactian they just create the battle plan and that can be as violent or non violent as they want it. When I think of scholar I just think of someone who studies and shares wisdom and helps those around them. A scholar doesn't have to be someone who hates violence also, I think that was just a decision Harley chose which is personal and not a commitment of the scholar job. I think with any job just like it is with most in this game there is usually a good and dark side.

3. Aspect of winter

I guess what I'm saying is, to me fairies just don't seem like the kind of minion such a class would "develop a bond with". From what I could see, someone on the design team really liked the Scholar from XI and wanted to include it in ARR. To fit it in with this games armory system they had to expand out from Arcanist, which is the most similar sub class technically. But since Arcanist is already a pet class, they put in healing fairies as the replacement pets to make SCH a healing class, but I didn't feel this effect worked too well lore wise.

Having said that, it is probably the best SE could have done without creating an entirely new Job based around fairies.

4. Ormond

Ormond Adventurer

Have you heard about the Fairies in Torchwood (the Doctor Who spin off)? They invade your body (usually a bad person like a pedophile but they don't have much discrimination) and basically destroy it from the inside. Not all fairies are peaceful and loving but in a lot of lore they are, but they have different aspects cross spectrum. Maybe SE had a specific type of fairy in mind that would explain for this, it just hasn't been revealed or we haven't found it yet.

ave

5. Aspect of winter

Actually, what I meant was I thought Harley was an exception, and that most Scholars LIKED violence, hence why they chose to study it. It's confirmed by the Lalafel Marauder in the questline that the ancient Scholars were pretty much the "Generals" of Nym - that is, they not only provided healing and support, most of them had the job of giving the battle orders to the Marauders. The word "Adloquium" is actually Latin for encouragement - I looked it up.

That said, until we learn more about Nym we simply won't know how militant they really were. I remember one quest goes into detail about how they took on the role of doctors during times of peace. It's certainly conceivable that many of them actually had a lot in common with Jedi Consular from SWTOR.

Of course, in modern day Limsa Lominsa, the Arcanists have similar duties of coming up with strategies (the second half of the quest series points to this), but the bulk of the military power in the Maelstrom seems to be in the hands of the Marauders.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    ilmaestro likes this.
  6. Ormond

Ormond Adventurer

One major reason I love the story and world of this game is that they actually use words that require a little finesse and know-how in the verbal world... it encourages us to learn new (old-ish) words.. I have read a lot of books from the 18th century and it's a real pleasure to see a lot of expressions and words used frequently in the books of Radcliffe, Austen, and Brown being used in this game... so refreshing after playing WoW for a year and a half....

Aspect of winter likes this.
  7. Aspect of winter

Interesting you brought up WoW, because its a major reason why I have these issues with military themes in MMOs. I'm hard-wired to look for it, having been programmed by all the Alliance and Horde quests in WoW which involve you taking on the role of a rabid patriot in the name of your faction. I liked a lot of things about WoW don't get me wrong, but the drawback is that I see how blinded and borderline villainous many major protagonists in MMOs are. I just wish there was an "un-program" button sometimes! =)

Ormond likes this.
  8. Ormond

Ormond Adventurer

I hope that the differences between WoW and ARR become even further apart as more content is released, I hope that they did it this way at first to make transitioning easier before branching off, but I know relatively nothing about their plans for the future of this game. I like WoW too, but I like a lot of aspects of ARR more than the system in W0W (such as the teleport option, being able to repair your own gear, sprint), I haven't spent much time in dungeons yet so I can't compare the two yet. I think I like RPing in this game better though.

Aspect of winter likes this.
  9. Aspect of winter

LOL I think that's the thing I fear too.

I've always felt that the military theme is the reason why the Alliance and Horde have become so chauvanistic. In the original "Vanilla" levels 1-60 you were an independent adventurer just like your character in ARR, but with each expansion the theme started to shift more and more towards being a soldier of your faction and going to war, and you often end up doing things in quests which clearly go into territory usually reserved for villains. (The so-called "neutral factions" tend to avoid these tropes, by contrast)

And since we already have the Grand Companies, it's possible that the adventuring Final Fantasy hero storyline we have now could turn into a story based around honor, military duty, and "Shut up and follow orders!" (like Wrath of the Lich King or Mists of Pandaria)

Although like I've been saying about the Scholar's murky lore, there is quite the difference between the Grand Companies right now, even with them all being formal militaries. For instance, Uldah's elitism and chauvinism is part of the the reason why I didn't pick Immortal Flames other than the fact that I felt obligated to stick with my starting city (Gridania).

10. Gara Bloodreaver

Gara Bloodreaver Scion

I have no idea about the scholar lore. I do know military though. Not all military groups are warmongers, alot of them just serve as a self defense force in which case I could see a faerie teaming with a scholar as peace doesn't just happen, it has to be maintained.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    Ormond likes this.