Warrior Looking for Tanking 101 guide/tips

Discussion in 'Disciples of War' started by nobopyon, Oct 28, 2013.

1. nobopyon

nobopyon Crystal Brave

I recently joined MRD guild to hope to become a Warrior.

I can find many Warrior guide here and there online, however, most of them skip the basic part of tanking that I'd like to know and start with rotation, and global cool down stuff.. that's way advance for me, because, I'm totally new to tanking, as well as, new to MMO game.

I became BARD and now it's L41, so I think I grasp some part of this game's basic (i hope) game play, and how to play dungeon as a team, etc.

Anyhow, I'm looking for any basic guide/tips to start with.

As far as I understand what I should be doing as tank.

1. mark the enemies
    2. hold the aggro
    3. make sure enemy don't face to healer

now, questions

1. mark the enemies.
    - what order should I mark? I mean which one get mark 1, and mark 2?

- should I switch marking 1 to the enemy when I lost aggro and he is attacking healer and I chase him to get aggro back?

- I use macro to mark the enemy (yes, i read alot to learn this xD), but still takes me a bit of time to mark, since i'm on ps3...? if your Duty Finder party don't give you time to mark, I should at least mark 1, and hope they will attack him?

2. hold the aggro
    - I understand this isn't simple to keep holding all the aggro, and I can find many guide/rotation online how to keep the aggro... as playing MRD now, I went ahead and got cross skill "flash" from GLD, so I can rotate between Over Power to hold the aggro. But I still get 1 or 2 slip... :(

- Do I bother try to get aggro back tank carbuncle?

- I learned to threw Tomahawk and run through the enemy so that they will always face their back to my party members to avoid frontal AOE cone attack to healer. Should I drag them far away from party to start the fight? (i saw several tanks do that, and it seems helpful...?

Any tips and guide, or if you know a good link to the guide, I'd much appreciate it!

2. Nichigo

Nichigo Content Moderator

Answers above in red.

nobopyon likes this.
  3. nobopyon

nobopyon Crystal Brave

Thank you @Nichigo for the detailed answer! it cleared up some of my questions!

On this answer
    "1) Make sure your attack up abilities are up before you use Overpower. Enmity multipliers use your damage as its base, so you want to make sure you're putting out as much damage as you can...especially at the beginning of the fight."

Do you mean, I make sure to give some good heavy swing on the enemy before I use Over Power?
    This leads me to next questio...

If you got hold of 3 enemies' aggro (mk1, mk2, mk3).
    I have been doing is keep attacking (Heavy Swing + Skull Thunder) mk1, and use Over Power/flash to hold mk2, and mk3 aggro. Is it right? or should I rotate attack (Heavy Swing + Skull Thunder) on mk1, mk2, mk3, then OP/flash to hold the aggro?

4. Nichigo

Nichigo Content Moderator

What I mean is, the more damage you do with your current attack, the more enmity you generate. So at the beginning of a fight, you would want to use a cool down like Berserk to ensure that you're putting out as much damage (enmity) up front as possible to give you a head start.

The advantage to playing MRD over GLA is that it's easier to hold group aggro. You should be able to just thread Overpower/Flash between your enmity skills against your main target. It sounds like you're doing things right already. I would have to play MRD to really understand what you could be doing better in this area though.

GeekMatt and nobopyon like this.
  5. nobopyon

nobopyon Crystal Brave

Thanks again! @Nichigo

So i should start with Tomahawk (similar to shield lob on GLD i believe), then berserk, then Over Power to start the fight.

6. caucel

caucel Crystal Brave

I ask the questions too, while it is my job in the game.

1. mark the enemies.
    Always kill first the mob with aoe abilities, it do your life more easy.

- should I switch marking 1 to the enemy when I lost aggro and he is attacking healer and I chase him to get aggro back?
    No. You need move and do your rotation (or provoke and shield lob) in the mob that attacj the healer. Meanwhile the dps follow the mark mobs.

- I use macro to mark the enemy (yes, i read alot to learn this xD), but still takes me a bit of time to mark, since i'm on ps3...? if your Duty Finder party don't give you time to mark, I should at least mark 1, and hope they will attack him?

You can just marking one or two mobs. Always mark at least the mob that you wanna dos attack first.

2. hold the aggro
    - I understand this isn't simple to keep holding all the aggro, and I can find many guide/rotation online how to keep the aggro... as playing MRD now, I went ahead and got cross skill "flash" from GLD, so I can rotate between Over Power to hold the aggro. But I still get 1 or 2 slip... :(

1 flash, 3 overpower, rotations combo. (The rotation can being in different mobs).Flash in middle of each end combo.
    You need pass across targets and understand the enmity bar and enmity simbols.

No. If the party die for a bad use of carbuncle, isn't your fault.

Mobs don't need face healer or party in general. DPS melee do most dmg in the back or side of mobs, so always turn the mobs.

---------------------------------------------

Tank links:

Enmity table:

http://valk.dancing-mad.com/?page_id=231

Tank 101.

http://www.daevaofwar.net/index.php?/topic/353-in-depth-tanking-classjob-analysis/

nobopyon likes this.
  7. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    1. mark the enemies.
    In the early dungeons, people are new, so I mark the nearest as 1 because it's the one they're most likely to attack anyways. Later I go for bombs/other severe AoEs users and anything that might paralyze or otherwise hinder you.

No. You want your DPS to completely kill an enemy before they switch targets. If a mob goes after someone, it's your job to build enmity/aggro on it.

Time for your first macro, this one really helped me mark 1 at a time when I started.

/mk attack1 <t>
    /ac "tomahawk" <t>
    If you make this macro it will throw your tomahawk at an enemy and mark it as "1" for your party to target, I do this with shield lob. In the message I sent you earlier about marking targets you can use this macro to replace the "1" sign in your hotbar, but keep tomahawk in your hotbar separately aswell in case you need to use it and not mark (on mobs that get away for example). I can help you with making the macro if you're unsure.

2. hold the aggro
    On occasion a mob will get past you, you need to learn how to use your skills to catch that mob while holding the other mobs. If your party is following your marks, it may be as easy as doing a heavy swing and skull sunder on your mark 1 target, then throw 2 tomahawks at the runaway mob, then flash the whole group. (Something like this, you dont want to run around too much.) personally I use Provoke which makes me the enmity leader on that mob and then shield lob and the mob comes running. Finding what works best takes practice.

Carbuncles can be annoying to tanks. Don't bother fighting for enmity with a carbuncle, if the carbuncle is bothering you then ask the party not to use it to tank, if the carbuncle dies, it's no big deal and not your concern.

- I learned to threw Tomahawk and run through the enemy so that they will always face their back to my party members to avoid frontal AOE cone attack to healer. Should I drag them far away from party to start the fight? (i saw several tanks do that, and it seems helpful...?
    how far you need to move the enemy depends on where you are. I do this so that when we fight the enemy we're not near other mobs. It's better to fight as few mobs as possible, if you can pull one away from a group without getting the rest, then do that and move further away from the enemies.

Any tips and guide, or if you know a good link to the guide, I'd much appreciate it!
    This is the guide I first used, and I found it very informative.

Http://eorzeareborn.com/tanking-basics-communicatio/

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    nobopyon likes this.
  8. nobopyon

nobopyon Crystal Brave

Thank you, @caucel for the link, it'd be good read for me to understand about tanking better, and thank you @GeekMatt as always for the great advice!