Is there a general or /area chat?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fluttersnipe, Aug 7, 2013.

1. fluttersnipe

fluttersnipe Crystal Brave

Maybe I was playing the last beta wrong, but the game was ridiculously quiet. Id seen maybe 2 or 3 /shouts or /says while playing over the course of a few days, but no general/trade or any kind of /area chat.

Is it something that will come later? Or does the game not have it?

2. maximkat

maximkat Adventurer

I thought it was about average when I was playing, maybe you were on a quiet server at a quiet time? I certainly saw a lot more than that. Plus there is the /yell feature now which is a wider area from /say but a smaller area from /shout.

3. Luko

Luko Scion

/shout is actually the general chat. Everyone in the current map can see it.

Lessa and fluttersnipe like this.
  4. Kolossus

Kolossus Vice Admin

Server:
    Diabolos
    There is no dedicated Trade "channel". You /say so people close by can hear you, /yell gives you a bigger radius, so an entire camp can hear you. /shout lets you talk to the entire zone, and /tell is the equivalent of sending someone a text message.

In XI, people would sometimes shout/yell(when it was implemented, though differently than XIV) in Jeuno if they were looking to buy or sell things, but for the most part it was used when looking for a group or when people were talking with a big group of non-LS people. The conversations ranged from updates to flaming people. Selling things were usually left to the auction house, putting things in your bazaar with a search comment(that people could filter by the words in it), or using sites like FFXIAH.com or plugins like Guildwork to sell their bazaared goods.

fluttersnipe likes this.
  5. fluttersnipe

Thanks guys! Didnt know /shout was area wide :).

Its just weird not seeing /1 or /2 channels while playing an mmo lol.

Luko likes this.
  6. Luko

Luko Scion

Yeah it took a bit of adjusting for me too, lol.

7. Kolossus

Kolossus Vice Admin

Server:
    Diabolos
    I'm thankful they stuck with the chat system from XI. I personally like local communication limited per zone, and having global communication via a LS/FC.

fluttersnipe likes this.
  8. fluttersnipe

I dont mind the choice they made, but it would be nice if it was clearly labelled that /shout reaches an entire area :p.

9. Kolossus

Kolossus Vice Admin

Server:
    Diabolos
    I agree, it's something that they should add one of their pop-up tutorial help boxes for, to explain what each chat command does for people who aren't familiar with how XI's chat system worked. Something for you to suggest on the Beta forums, maybe? ^^