Housing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mithoes, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Mithoes

Mithoes Adventurer

This is something I posted to the suggestion boards on the ffxiv forums. Keep in mind, it's just my opinion, and I could very well not have all the facts. :I

The housing system sounds like it's going to be a really good thing, but in my opinion the money sink will leave the economy in a worse off state than it already is. If there was a way to give players the ability to level certain crafting classes up and then build houses, and sell them, that would be a good way to keep the money circulating.

The reason I say build the houses ourselves is because as it stands, large chunks of money will be being spent on the houses, especially the larger ones, and then it will just be gone. The NPC's don't have anything to buy. Whereas if, for example, it required someone to have multiple crafting classes at fifty to build a house, they could then provide another incentive to level crafting, other than the occasional materia meld and the hq gear (that some people ignore completely and just farm for their own gear,) and the materials required to build the house would provide another incentive to level the gathering class. It would also be a way for people to save a LOT of money by building their own house if they manage to level all the proper DoH and DoL classes.

What I had in mind was instead of them having instances full of houses, having instances full of plots of land that free companies/crafters can purchase, and then to build the house there would be several nodes around the property, like in gathering, and to build the house, someone in the FC/Seller would have to go to these nodes, and build certain parts using whichever crafting skill that node required, until the entire house was built. Now that I'm done, feel free to lay into me about how this wouldn't work.

Edit: If the housing was done this way, it would also be the easiest way to base the pricing on the economy of each server, since the houses would be being built/sold using materials that were acquired on these servers, and therefore the people who built the houses would be the most knowledgeable when it comes to how much the house is worth when it comes to including all of the costs for supplies/time.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
    Adonsa likes this.
  2. Choe

Choe Adventurer

My eyes hurt :(

3. Mithoes

Mithoes Adventurer

I'm... sorry? <_>

4. The47thSen

The47thSen Scion

5. Mithoes

Mithoes Adventurer

Yeah, I should have fixed that after the copy pasta. my bad

6. TheLordMayor

TheLordMayor Adventurer

The info I've seen for housing is pretty minimal and it's very possible some of your ideas, especially as far as money circulation will happen.

On another note, I really don't believe individual player housing will ever happen. It makes sense for a free company to have housing but how would we have hundreds of thousands of homes later on down the road for each player? I know there will be new areas specifically for housing with unlimited space. But it still seems unrealistic, idk. It just feels like an idea of a promise that will never come to be.

Mithoes likes this.
  7. ilmaestro

ilmaestro Crystal Brave

Didn't it come by default in FFXI? I guess it depends on what scale people are expecting it to be.

8. Jedrek

Jedrek Crystal Brave

http://www.ffxivinfo.com/content/player-housing.php

In this article (Now maybe I misread it) it speaks of how it would be player driven and that a carpenter could craft items for houses. Would this not in a way encourage more people to take on this DoH and thus expand on the market? Screw fleece.

I want some cabinets :3 lulz..

Mithoes likes this.
  9. Choe

Choe Adventurer

Thanks for fixing the paragraphs :D

That said, I think I need to see the current system they have in mind in action before commenting on possible improvements already.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 19, 2013, Original Post Date: Oct 19, 2013 ---
    There are other mmorpg's who have proven individual housing is popular and works well. Asheron's Call and Dark Age of Camelot come to mind.

Mithoes likes this.
  10. TheLordMayor

TheLordMayor Adventurer

Ahhh you're right then. I haven't played either of those. I think at this stage in gaming I tend to expect let downs. My apologies for being a negative nancy lol

11. Mithoes

Mithoes Adventurer

I know they will be doing this, the only thing that really worries me is that I feel a large amount of the money circulating right now is just going to disappear into the npc's pockets when it comes to actually purchasing the house. But as I said, I really don't have as much info on their system for housing as I'd like, and this suggestion is purely my ideal housing system. I'm hoping and praying whatever they end up doing wow's me.

Jedrek likes this.
  12. The47thSen

The47thSen Scion

The money has to disappear, if it just circulates among the players then eventually there's going to be crazy inflation. Do not forget that there is still gil generation from leves, hunts and quests. It's like how in Diablo3 you'll need millions of gold just to even buy a lower tier weapon, and it's mostly impossible to earn those millions just by playing the game.

Mithoes likes this.
  13. Slipikin

Slipikin Adventurer

I'm going to need a roommate just to afford the house and land. We'll most likely be using milk crates as chairs and digging through your guys curb side trash for decorations. :D

Mithoes likes this.
  14. Mithoes

Mithoes Adventurer

I definitely know the moneys gonna need to go away, I just wasn't sure if it was coming to be that time yet. As of right now, Lamia's economy is pretty f**kin bad with all the undercutting that's inevitable with mmo's, and it's almost pointless to level gathering classes now. Just trying to think of different ways to bring gathering back to a state of viability. Of course, my view on everything that's happening with the economy is in a state of tunnel vision, so I'm sure there's a lot of stuff going on that I don't know about.

15. TheLordMayor

TheLordMayor Adventurer

The undercutting is already happening. Though I feel it's because of players becoming more educated on how to make Gil. The fastest way to offload your goods is to undercut people's prices by a Gil or two. Everyone keeps undercutting and all the prices drop. Yoshi says they have plans to keep the Gil circulating and we'll just have to trust that it will.

16. Mithoes

Mithoes Adventurer

When I said inevitable, I didn't mean that it's "Going to happen", I meant that "It's to be expected of MMO's". And I haven't heard anything about the gill circulating stuff, I think I'll go look for info now.

17. LAViking

LAViking New Member

My suggestion is to allow the DEED OF THE LAND to be acquired using FC Credits. That is the only way to share contribution fairly among all FC members. It's not perfect, but better than a few footing all the Gil while all the members benefit.

18. Adonsa

Adonsa Crystal Brave

HI Mithoes,
    Ummmm. Will Square Enix provide a "homeless shelter":eek: for weak or "non-productive" free companies?
    Or do their characters just keep on staying in the Gridiana/Uldah/LL inns (no bathrooms)?
    Whew! Sheesh! Maybe I shouldn't have posted this. :nailbiting:

GeekMatt likes this.