White Mage Dps?

Discussion in 'Disciples of Magic' started by Rourik Ehrin, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Rourik Ehrin

Rourik Ehrin Adventurer

I tried to see if this was asked before and I couldn't find anything but my question is. At EX primals and things beyond that level me being a WHM should I be DPSing as often as I can or should I focus on healing? I can understand if I clearly have health levels under control I can help DPS but in EX I assume people are gonna be getting hurt and a "friend" called me a bad healer because I said I don't DPS All the time. Any oppinions? What would you prefer you WHM do?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  2. xshevix

xshevix Crystal Brave

IMO healing is your priority and i personally would only dps when i know the fights thru each mechanic so you know if a ton of damage is coming up, but its completely upto you and what youre comfortable with :)

GeekMatt and racooperii like this.
  3. Rourik Ehrin

Rourik Ehrin Adventurer

That's how I handled everything up to this point and I haven't had any complaints so far lol thanks for the oppinion. I started a shout wide conversation on this one hahaha

Crimson Requiem likes this.
  4. xshevix

xshevix Crystal Brave

XD youre always gunna have people saying you should dps more, but then theyll complain if they die due to you dpsing so just what ever your comfortable with xD

5. racooperii

racooperii Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I'm with @xshevix on this one. It's nice to have the extra DPS in a fight, but dead players provide 0 DPS.

Just do what you're comfortable with, it sounds like you're a Good Healer since you prioritize Healing as you should.

6. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Definitely healing is your first priority, DPS when you know it's safe. In Thordan's EX it didn't take long before I realized I had time to get up all my DoTs in the first few seconds of the fight because there's a lull in damage, but generally I don't start DPSing until I have a solid grasp of a fight.

DPSing before you know a trial or raid could backfire even if you're able to keep everyone alive at the same time, because a big part of learning a fight (at least on AST/WHM) is efficient spending of MP and it's not unusual to over-spend on healing during the learning process, before even calculating in the cost of your DPS.

7. Selene Silverstorm

Selene Silverstorm New Member

Server:
    Ragnarok
    Old thread.. but this is how I handle DPSing on whm. Note: I don't do trials on healer.

Divine Seal > Regen > Tank > Virus > Tank's main target:

At this point I am standing there observing the rate of incoming damage the tank is taking vs rate of incoming healing from Regen, usually I wait for about 2 ticks. If its good I can proceed with this: > Cleric Stance > Stone III til Regen wears off. If at any point during this observation that the damage is too great for a DS+Regen to handle, I'm probably going to be full time healing this tank for the duration of that encounter. Every encounter has different rates of incoming damage. Knowing the rate is key to DPSing for me.

Boss fights - I'll admit, I take no risks here. I'm likely full time healing. If anyone dies, it wont be because I was in cleric stance.

Tanks don't like lazy healers that never DPS, but they don't expect you to full time DPS. Healing is always number 1 priority.