Black Mage Black Mage DPS Rotation Guide/Discussion

Discussion in 'Disciples of Magic' started by Gigarit, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Gigarit

Gigarit Crystal Brave

Man it has been a good while since I've been here! How is the life of BLMs everywhere? Lol

2. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Rekindling my BLM to better suit my static in T5. Made some progress having it in party :)

3. Gigarit

Gigarit Crystal Brave

I'm hardcore debating of resubbing to the game after summer with the new patch. Only thing that I am lacking is time since I am very busy with college and life in general ><

4. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Downed T5 with the BLM. Still debating the best way for me to handle DreadKnights as BLM though.

And yeah, time is always an issue

5. Hermes

Hermes Scion

I've recently gone back to Blm after a long run healing... Feeling very rusty at times with my rotations, and still largely not using my buffs/debuffs as effectively as id like.

With the long casting times, and short durations of manaward/shield, or even surecast ...are there specific times/fights you plan to use these prior to getting into a fire spam? I feel like half the time
    I could use this... Well, I'm mid cast!

I could only really plan for these with large raid wide primal or boss attacks when they are well telegraphed...

Thnx in advance!

6. Gigarit

Gigarit Crystal Brave

Happy to say that as of today I have officially resubbed to FFXIV! Has been a good year and man o man have i missed alot of content. In due time I will try to keep this updated as i get back into the flow of the game.

Hermes likes this.
  7. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    Nuke them ;)
    But i usually cast lethargy on them to slow them down a bit.
    The key to blm dps is minimizing amount of movement, but twister phase yeah.. just use scathe or don't cast. Better to be alive then dead, lol.
    T5 is a very good fight to go as blm, i think it has so far been the turn i have had the most dps.
    T6 and 7 i go as Nin.

8. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Old message o_O I've now cleared as BLM, WHM, and BRD (I don't even know how to BRD). Oddly enough I don't think I've quite cleared it on my main (PLD), but I can't remember. I'd be comfortable in that fight on any class other than WAR.

9. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    PLD it up then Matt, haha
    We have enough Bards in our FC and needed the dmg blm brings so all turns up to T5 i have done as blm
    I think i will need to do T7 as Bard if i want the gloves.... i just don't want to kite

10. Lanfear_13

Lanfear_13 Adventurer

Server:
    Sagatanas
    I got FFXIV for my birthday about 2 months ago and created my character as a THM/BLM. And in all honesty I probably should have done my research like 2 months ago. I'm not bad, but this guide has opened my eyes a bit and I am definitely going to be using it is my bible going forward!

So uhm thanks...just...thanks :D

Hermes, Jinzuku and GeekMatt like this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Scion

Right on! Just to settle any concerns, Thm/blm doesn't become the super nuke you'd like it to be until you've unlocked the higher skills. Much of your DPS will come from burst damage using well-timed proc'd skills, and then flare.

I don't know how far you've leveled up, but maybe one of the best things to take from this discussion is how to calculate and adjust for your rotation so you minimize the downtime where you aren't casting. Meaning, when you transpose, casting thunder 1 or 2 so that you can get back into an astral fire buff asap, and knowing when and how to move so you are getting the most out of your rotations without losing out on DPS!

Good luck!!!

Lanfear_13, Ish and kotorinbo like this.
  12. Lanfear_13

Lanfear_13 Adventurer

Server:
    Sagatanas
    I tend to steer towards the mage/warlock class in most games I play. I'm much better as a DPS than a Tank...you learn these things the hard way :meh:.

Current level is 44, and yes I get where you are coming from. After going through this guide/thread I can definitely see where I need to make tweaks. I'm currently stuck at work though and mostly play over the weekend. So can't wait for Friday so I can go have a play!

Thanks for the advice :)

Hermes and Jinzuku like this.
  13. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    Make sure to level up Archer if you have not yet for Raging Strikes but more importantly Quelling Strikes.
    I still rip agro from tanks geared higher then me :>
    Flare once you get it boosts your dps but alas rotations will be changing in a week or so when we get Blizz, Fire 4 and Enochian, etc..
    Depending on fight i actually like to start with T3>Fire3>Fire Spam> Flare>Transpose> Fire> etc. or after first flare.. Flare>Transpose>Flare> Convert>Swiftcast Flare> Mega ether> Flare
    Aoe rotation would be different in that after first F3 it would be fire 2's, but i always change rotation based on mechanics like lots of movement (like coil) etc..
    Also i tend to use thunder 2's (T3 is just my initial spell)
    Good luck and have fun

Hermes likes this.
  14. Hermes

Hermes Scion

For sh1ts and giggles, I recently restarted a new toon to relvl... (Waiting for ecpac...)... She is only lvl 27 atm, but I've started to play with transposr earlier:

Ice> thunder2> transpose> Fire (spam)> transpose> (fin or thunder1 repeat). Sadly, I can't transpose back into another astral so quick, but it's picked up my LoLDPS quite a bit!

Looking forward to seeing how the new Blm rotations play out... The fire4/ice4 combo looks super pretty.

15. kotorinbo

kotorinbo Crystal Brave

Not to nitpick, but this opener listed in this guide is strictly superior to one that spams slowcasted Flare.

T2/3 > F3 > Raging Strikes > Fire > X-Potion of Intelligence > Fire spam > Swiftcast > Flare > Convert > Fire > B3

T2 is required for races with lower base piety. Having a SCH in the party is what opens the door for T3 usage. X-Potion of Intelligence is obviously not required, but it is better than a Mega-Ether if we are strictly talking most effective consumables.

Another viable opener would be the following one, but it should really only be used if you have a SCH in the party, you are maxed out on spell speed, Fey Glow is going to be up, and you happen to be a race with high base piety.

B3 > T1 > F3 > Raging Strikes > Fire > X-Potion of Intelligence > Fire spam > Swiftcast > Flare > Convert > Fire > B3

The most important thing is to get Flare cast while under your damage buffs, so skipping a Thundercloud or Firestarter proc is occasionally worth it just for ensuring this.

Aside from that, T1 is strictly superior to T2 for Umbral Ice phase transitions, except if you are maxed on spell speed and Fey Glow is up. For example, my BLM (691 spell speed without Fey Glow) occasionally does not get full MP back even with a B3 > T1 > B1 > F3 transition, but that is a pretty extreme case for current gear levels.

Hermes likes this.
  16. Hermes

Hermes Scion

Can you tell me if you ever hard-cast a double flare after the convert then transpose to thunder1? I always thought that gave me better DPS in large pulls than the time it takes to get a fire off before swapping over to b3 for the umbrals?! Thanks!!

GeekMatt likes this.
  17. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    Again i said it is situational and i always change my rotation based on mechanics.
    Even with a scholar in the group i disagree with the opener starting with B3, that is just my opinion.
    Purostrider along as others have doen many testing of rotations and such

18. kotorinbo

kotorinbo Crystal Brave

That rotation was for 1-2 targets only. Large pulls are a different beast.

F3 > Fire 2 > Fire 2 > Fire 2 > Flare > Convert > Flare > Mega-Ether > Flare > Transpose > Fire 3 > 1x Fire if 1000 MP or 2x Fire II if 2000 MP > Flare > Transpose

Swiftcast should be saved for what you feel will be your last Flare to avoid it being interrupted by the enemy you are targeting dying. This sort of AOE rotation is superior when there are 3+ mobs.

The problem with BLM is their BIS for large pulls in dungeons is actually quite different. BLM really like spell speed for single target, but you can not really afford to stack too much of it for dungeons because you want your cast to take long enough that you get 2000 MP after Transpose to ensure 2x Fire 2 instead of 1x Fire before Flare.

There is no reason to use any thunder or ice spell for large pulls.

The rotation Puro would recommend is the first one I listed. B3 opener has so many conditions required for it to be optimal that it is generally not bothered with, but that does not mean it should not be mentioned. Also, you specifically mentioned using those skills to start off a fight, and there are no fights where you must change your opener in order to adjust for a mechanic. It is just a matter of whether you need an AOE or single target opener. The one thing I can say for sure is there is never a time when a BLM would use the opener you listed. I do not mean to be offensive, but that is simply how it is.

GeekMatt likes this.
  19. Hermes

Hermes Scion

This is why I whm... ppl dying is a pretty hard endpoint.

Also, why hard-cast flare if only 1-2 targets? It would seem to be better to swift flare transpose or convert bliz3 to get back into fire spamming single targets? Unless I misunderstood.

I like your larger pull ritation!! I will practice that one now. BLM is so foreign to me now.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    kotorinbo likes this.
  20. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    Well starting fights with T3 is 2 fold, it gives tanks a chance to build up agro because let's face it most tanks do not know how to handle black mages ;)
    And also thundercloud procs which maybe i am just lucky but happen to have them occur fairly frequently. And i have seen countless black mages use the exact rotation, just because one uses a certain rotation does not make it wrong, no black mage is a god, lol and gear plus race stats does affect things as well. I have had people parse me and my numbers more then show i am up top (not 1st place mind you, damn Ninja in our group) in most situations.
    I know you were not trying to be offensive but unless you have done many tests like i and others have my rotation still stands.
    And actually looking at what i listed i meant Fire 3 not Fire 1 after transpose which btw not sure why we are arguing as i may not have listed in full but what you listed just above is exactly the same rotation as mine minus the thunder. To end it what you listed works for you, mine works for me, in a week or so rotations for everyone changes with the added spells.

Also ps.. enough with the quotes, let's not become like the toxic society like the official SE forums, haha

kotorinbo likes this.