Black Mage Black Mage DPS Rotation Guide/Discussion

Discussion in 'Disciples of Magic' started by Gigarit, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Kredo

Kredo Crystal Brave

Yes it is up to before the 2.1 update. All your basic stuff are there for rotations and how to fight. You can't really find a better guide anywhere.

Nevan likes this.
  2. Nevan

Nevan New Member

Aye, I'm reading the guide and it's really, but really well detailed. How to manage your resources, rotation + priorities, great stuff here!

Thanks for the reply man =)

3. Gigarit

Gigarit Crystal Brave

As much as it should be yes, I do need to go through and alter around and tweek some stuff with the minor changes made to BLM. Also will be updating the BiS list once xivdb gets updated.

4. Gigarit

Gigarit Crystal Brave

Updated the front page single target for 2.1 and BiS gear list as well.

5. Viktor Cross

Viktor Cross New Member

Hey Viktor Cross here from Hyperion. A few touch up advices for rotation. There are two rotations floating around right now to get full mana back in rotations. First one is Blizzard III > Scathe > Thunder II > Fire III. The other is Blizzard III > Thunder III > Fire III...either or see to be working. Still testing on which gives the better dps output. I am pretty sure that the Thunder III tick is probably more damage if the 20 percent does not proc from Scathe, but if Scathe procs then it should theoretically out dps the Thunder III cast. Good luck and happy killing!
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 23, 2013 ---
    In regards to best in slot gear. Some extremely high potent tests were done with the differences between spell speed and crit. Where as I still focus mainly on crit in my build. Spell speed pulls out top dps in the end. The DPS difference is extremely minute but very noticeable in longer fights such as twintania or any of the extreme primal fights which tend to be on the 8-13 min mark. My personal preference is still crit as most fights do not last long enough for spell speed to be noticeably different. Anyways I figured I would share this information with you all in regards to gear preferences. As long as your not stacking Determination your good the stat does virtually nothing to your spells unless stacked in extreme high quantities, even food will not display change. Happy hunting!

6. Gigarit

Gigarit Crystal Brave

The only thing with thunder 3 in between is 80% of the time you dont have mana for it but you do have mana for thunder 2.

Spell speed is amazing on paper but no in reality. The 2-3 extra spells you would get from just standing still 100% of the time will never happen since most fights are all movement.

7. Zheri

Zheri Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    This is a misconception.

Basically, every spell you cast, there is a window where you complete the cast with a higher SS and move on to your next while you would still be casting the last one with a lower SS. If you are forced to move inside of that window, stacking SS has gained you an entire cast without needing to stand still for the full 1:25 or so. On average, you will hit that window once in the time it takes to gain a full GCD while freecasting. The problem with Spell Speed is that you're entirely at the mercy of RNG fight mechanics, and it's an all-or-nothing deal. If you don't get the right timing, it's worth nothing.m It's inconsistent, but in the end it all averages out.

8. Kredo

Kredo Crystal Brave

I ahve noticed the difference in spell speed though. Where I can start casting my next spell faster. Most times my GCD isn't even finished and I already started my next cast basically as soon as i cast my first spell there is no delay to cast the next.

9. Jdawgmai

Jdawgmai Adventurer

What's your guys's input with replacing Blizz II with Freeze after the 2.1 potency changes to our skills?

Freeze has a higher potency then Blizz II, and the tradeoff of .5 seconds isn't that bad for the extra potency. Or am I wrong? :p

Been using this rotation: Fire III > Fire II until low mana > Bliz III > Freeze > Fire III > Fire II, and it works fairly well for sustained aoe. Kinda frustrated with the buggy Astral F/Umbral I though; can't really depend on bursting with flare. I'd often cast transpose just after Flare just to have Transpose put me into UI before Flare gets the chance to put me into AF, resulting in me being stuck in AF

Also, another question. Do you guys use Mega Int potions at all in your rotation, along with Raging Strikes? seen some rotations that have that, and was wondering if it's necessary for me to stock up on some. :)

10. Gigarit

Gigarit Crystal Brave

Eh I never used blizzard 2 anyways, with the changes to UI i probably should use something else but right now I just put thunder 2 on a target in between stances. I personally don't use int potions because I am cheap, but they aren't a bad thing. It will definitely increase your dps but it isn't 100% necessary.

11. Gigarit

Gigarit Crystal Brave

12. Choe

Choe Adventurer

Shameless self bumping, Gigarit? :p

jk :D

HNY :)

13. Gigarit

Gigarit Crystal Brave

Well i figured there werent any recent posts :p

14. Nichigo

Nichigo Content Moderator

@Gigarit : What tips do you have for BLM's when they're DPS'ing conflags? We have 2 BLM in our group (i'm SCH :( ) and, even though they're over geared for T5, they are having trouble getting optimum burst DPS on the fast conflags. What rotation do you suggest for this?

15. Wykedtron

Wykedtron Adventurer

I raging strikes the first and INT potion the second.

Nichigo likes this.
  16. Choe

Choe Adventurer

Make sure they time it right as well, be in astral fire III with plenty of mana left for 2-3 casts, possibly a swift cast flare if you have convert up. That's how our blm does it anyway. Saving procs around the same time helps too, both thundercloud and whateveritscalledinstaFireIII buff, so try to remember the rotation so you know when a fast one is coming up in +- 10 seconds, save any procs.

Nichigo likes this.
  17. Gigarit

Gigarit Crystal Brave

I always pre mana regen for conflags then try to save any firestarters/thunderclouds for the conflags. The first conflag that is fast i pop Raging strikes then the next i use swift cast flare which almost always gets the job done.

18. Artorias

Artorias Crystal Brave

Not sure how long it's been like this, but all Thunder spells proc Thundercloud and the Thundercloud dmg is now based off of the Thunder spell you use. I.e. if you use Thunder I in your general rotation and Thundercloud procs, you'll do the same TC dmg with T3 as if you had used T3 to begin with in the initial DoT setup.

So, in light of that. Wouldn't it make more sense to use T1 instead of T3, and only use T3 whenever TC procs? I mean sure, you could argue that T2 might be the happier medium between the two but the difference in cast time between T1 and T2 is a whole half second. You might not think that's a whole lot, but over the course of a longer fight, it can mean everything.

From reading the tooltip on the Thunderspells. The only "real" difference is of course a.) The cast time b.) the initial damage from when it strikes. and c.) The length of the DoT in general. Because the overall DoT potency is the same; 35 Correct me if Im wrong but to me, it just seems more logical to use T1 to set up the general DoT then T3 whenever TC procs.

19. Nichigo

Nichigo Content Moderator

This has been like this from the beginning...hence why you should always use T3 for the proc.

There are varying philosophies on what to use for the hard cast of Thunder, but here's how I do it:

-I use T3 at the very beginning of the fight....or during phase transitions. Basically any time where I have time to precast the longer cast time of T3. The longer duration helps alot.

-I use T1 for my regular rotation. The faster cast time is perfect for the Umbral Ice MP refresh...and the Thunder duration is usually fading right as my rotation ends...that means I won't be "wasting" any tics by refreshing it before it's done (which happens with T2).

I originally was using T2, but started using T1 when i found that sometimes i wouldn't have enough MP for T2 after my rotation ended depending on what I was casting. I'd spend 1-2 seconds just mashing T2 waiting for Umbral to get me enough mana. T1 is cheaper to cast, so you have a little more flexibility in what you cast as your mana runs low.

20. Artorias

Artorias Crystal Brave

So my general logic was spot on then having not read the rest of the thread but only just the part on Thunder it seems :)

Nichigo likes this.