Astrologian AST Stats Allocation

Discussion in 'Disciples of Magic' started by Fybrile, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Cactaur
    Alright, I did my due diligence. Ran a search, checked the Guides, read the threads on the first three pages, so please forgive me if this is covered elsewhere. But, what's the optimal setup for Mind/Piety for an Astrologian? Currently, I'm running 2/1 respectively, but to be honest, I'm not finding much need currently for so much mind, and given my play style, more MP would be awesome!

2. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I went full MND and would recommend it. I don't have the exact numbers for you, unfortunately, but I'm fairly certain that across all healers the value of MND just straight-up more than makes up for the value of PIE. Maybe @MiKairi can give you something more substantial.

However, something to look at is that even though I personally love Nocturnal, Diurnal is the way to go in most content. Fights like AS1 and large trash pulls make great use of more potent regen ticks. Regen ticks are free heals after the fact, so the difference in HoT potency will inevitably outweigh having a bit more MP. Additionally you have the AST bubble, Collective Unconcious (which is AMAZING) and Essential Dignity which are abilities that see fairly frequent use and are completely free.

As a matter of fact, I often use these two and regen to help maintain my MP, so their potency is a direct influence to how much MP I have to utilize.

Lastly, while AST does suffer similar MP issues to whm, if you're creative we actually have quite a number of options for maintaining our mp. So when taking player ability into account I'd again recommend MND to a skilled player(/player intending to master their role)

Jinzuku and Fybrile like this.
  3. Crimson Requiem

Crimson Requiem Scion

You also have Ewer card to replenish MP if you really need it. HoTs are always going to be your best bet especially when you have abilities that can lengthen their duration making them even more MP efficient.

Primary role as AST is obviously healing. Therefore MND should be their primary stat. Since the buffs are totally RNG based and your stat's don't directly affect the buff potency of the cards it makes sense to go MND as primary stat. I haven't run into any issues with MP management personally as an AST. Then again I haven't done any raid type healing on AST.

My WHM is not high enough to raid with either so I can't comment on if they still have MP problems. I'll get back to you on that. XD WHM has two ways to get MP back now don't they?

AST is an interesting job and you can gear it pretty much any way you want. XD Unlike SCH who pretty much only has one build.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    Jinzuku and Fybrile like this.
  4. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    There is a lot, I've had to use Ewer on my self in AS1, but I rarely use cards on myself. The Spear is another you can use on yourself for more management by using it right before mp managing abilities like LightSpeed, Essential Dignity, Synestry, Collective Unconsious, Celestial Opposition, Disable, and most of all, Luminiferous Aether. Of course some of those have minimal impact if any, but solo healing Faust to 5 stacks taught me to use everything and time it to use again when applicable.

Ass Size gives you a bit of mp.

As for stats, I've chosen MND > Crit > PIE. This is with minimal research and just determining that on the hardcore content I'm more eager to pump it out harder and depend on my own ability to manage mp, rather than allocate my stats to those minimal boosts to my mp pool. However I have recognized the benefits of more MP which is something I've always rallied against on whm, feeling that I could always make do.

Also when mentioning "MP issues" I'm just referring to the fact that there's a requirement to manage it that is significant enough that I'd consider it one of the main focuses of playing the class. Unlike SCH who can usually forget about MP without it rendering them helpless.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    Fybrile and joshua david like this.
  5. Ivy

Ivy Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    Always go with MND if you mean the +35 stats you get.
    Aside from that, more piety = easier progression. If you're not progressing into serious savage content, it depends on your stance.
    Determination was nerfed in 3.0. MND = PIE > CRIT if you run Nocturnal.
    MND = PIE > SS if you run Diurnal for regen ticks (spell speed affecting regen). A good amount of MP pool to have is roughly 13,000+ (at 60 and nicely geared, of course).

Fybrile and GeekMatt like this.
  6. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I forgot SpellSpeed isn't just SpellSpeed anymore, it's DoT/HoT potency.

Still prefer Crit though since I need to utilize both stances.

Fybrile and joshua david like this.
  7. Ivy

Ivy Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    If I'm not raiding, I'd definitely take crit over SS. I include that since if your partner is a SCH, it's unlikely you'll run Nocturnal in raiding content (though I've tried it, and it's fun, HoTs are too important in A3S).

Fybrile likes this.
  8. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I'm on AS1 with a whm, and am the primary healer while they DPS. I thought Diurnal would be best on Faust for the regen and increased attack speed, but Nocturnal just worked much better for keeping Maajas WAR alive. On Oppressor it was recommended that I use Diurnal and I've been trying to do that but I'm really missing Nocturnal. The few times I accidentally left it on (I shield everyone before pull) the fight up to the jump was much more comfortable. I suspect though that that's because I'm able to adapt better to s**t hitting the fan with Noct. I suspect when we stop standing in things and start recognizing mechanics, diurnal will be ideal.

9. Crimson Requiem

Crimson Requiem Scion

I like SCH + WHM or AST in Diurnal for AS1 personally. We pretty much have it down to a science and no one is standing in stuff. XD

GeekMatt likes this.
  10. Ivy

Ivy Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    I think you should play what you're comfortable in, TBH.
    My first A1S clear was on WHM with an AST in Nocturnal - I was solo healing P1, though. I can't say how P1 Nocturnal would go as I've only done Diurnal on my own AST, however the instant shields before each tank buster were a lovely bonus. If you can heal the first phase in Noct, I'd encourage you to just use it. It'll be necessary later on anyways (shuddering at A3S with no shields inserted here).

GeekMatt likes this.
  11. Caimie Tsukino

Caimie Tsukino Realm Scribe

Server:
    Zalera
    Question, does Crit provides better shield now for AST in Noc Sect like Adloquium?

12. Ivy

Ivy Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    It does not double like Adlo. I don't think they'll ever make it double - or I hope not, at least. That's one of SCH's main appeals.

Crimson Requiem and GeekMatt like this.
  13. Crimson Requiem

Crimson Requiem Scion

I don't think SCHs would like that if they did. That's kind of the bread and butter of SCH.

: Astrologian, AST