Astrologian AST 3.4

Discussion in 'Disciples of Magic' started by GeekMatt, Sep 23, 2016.

1. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    So AST got a sizeable buff in this patch. Before AST was comparable to WHM, but it's benefits were less dependable which left WHM as the 'ole reliable. Diurnal stance also considerably outshines Nocturnal stance because it was better MP and better DPS while also more comfortable to use in messy situations (once a shield's broken it needs to be replaced, but regens keep ticking for a predetermined duration). Meanwhile SCH went unopposed as King healer.

This is awesome, and makes Nocturnal stance likely competitive with Dirunal (testing required). However, it doesn't make AST a good substitute for SCH, people often think of Noct and SCH as competitors but shielding is only a small part of what SCH brings to the table as it dishes out top DPS while it's fairy manages a considerable portion of the healing separately.

I love this SOOO much! Why? Because previously the effect made Bene II an instant cast, and when raiding more hardcore content it's important to time your heals perfectly. This means PRECASTING a heal, so imagine precasting Bene II to a huge tank buster—only when you hit Bene II it casts instantly because you didn't notice it proc'd and now you're losing a full GCD while the tanks remaining HP gets beat on. I hated this trait.

...I don't PVP

Redraw's buff is awesome, it makes our cards more dependable and so we're slightly less RNG while we pump out more The Balance. The change to Draw requires some testing

So RR change is nice because BLMs are jerks who stand at max range making you choose between buffing the melee or the ranged. The Balance is AMAZING, I can't believe they buffed our best buff, but on that note, our near useless buff (arrow) is still crap. The change to Bole is also great. People complain that an RNG defencive buff has no value, but that's only true if your party is planning out every buff/debuff they use and things go smoothly.

^This one's great too, adding value to our cards all around. I believe the word "by" is a translation mishap, the original effect is "effects cast ON self and party" and I'd be surprised if they made CO extend other party members buffs. That would be pretty OP.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  2. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    A little feedback on my experience with this;

Once the patch went live I dove into Alexander first where I did the first 2 parts in Diurnal with a SCH. The next 2 I did in Noct with a WHM (and briefly had an AST), and I can't even remember what I did for Sophia after that, that fight felt kind of boring and I immediately crashed after it (and briefly during) after being up all night.

First off Noct didn't feel overwhelmingly powerful as many suggested it might be. I can't really give it a "before and after" rating since it's new content + Noct was rarely used pre 3.4, but I can compare it to Diurnal, and I have to say I felt that Noct definitely measured up. Overall I'll say Noct feels like a more powerful healer (and strictly speaking it is), but regen is just a more practical healing tool, IMO + Diurnal offers increased DPS which is important, though I'm not noticing a big gap in mp efficiency anymore. Now in 8-man content I feel both are equally viable/useful, whereas previously I felt that Diurnal was usually the ideal stance even with a WHM in most content, I now really appreciate the usefulness of Noct and would encourage it alongside WHM.

As far as the meta, I enjoyed healing with either SCH or WHM, but my AST+AST run was the only bad one I had (still not terrible and I had fun). I REALLY liked healing AST + WHM more than anything else surprisingly, although it irks me when I recognize regens aren't ticking when they really should be and I'm throwing out an extra heal here and there to compensate. Still, in a raid scenario with a competent WHM I would love to Noct AST, I'd just be concerned about the DPS because the changes to draw and redraw, while nice, don't seem to impact my odds much of getting The Balance. Secret Algorythm nerf mebbe?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    nobopyon likes this.
  3. nobopyon

nobopyon Crystal Brave

I am main SCH, and sub WHM/AST until now, but now with buff of AST noct, I'm considering going main SCH/AST noct, and sub WHM, because my healer gears is always cater to my sch, and now with AST noct buff, my SCH catered gear should work very well with AST noct. (I used to only play AST Dirunal).

And I will have to be honest, my AST play is still rusty, especially card management...I used to try to make as spread out card as possible, but slowly starting to even use Bole on tank and extend so i can stay on dps bit longer.

Do you have any pro tip playing as AST noct stance? i have been liking to start off synastery > bene1> collective U > time dilation > dps till tank is low enough for me to ED type

Also, I'm working on i250 craft gears, and i know i will meld as much crit I can, but i'm debating to what else to meld between accuracy or spell speed. I have been considering going with spell speed, since I heard 3.4 raid don't have much of dps check, what your thought on that too?

4. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I'm following a Crit/PIE setup as I have been for a while. Actually, instead of explaining my thinking again, I'll just quote myself from somewhere else where someone explained why they like DET and hate PIE. Here's my response;

Since you were a SCH main you probably have a better handle on shields than I do, and outside of that it's no different that Diurnal.

I guess one thing I'll say is that during those hectic AoE moments, use Aspected Helios first, then Helios to fill HP bars while the shields are up. Your first heal in these moments is crucial and even though Helios will restore more HP, the Aspected shields + heal will do more to keep people alive while you top them off.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 30, 2016 ---
    Oh and as for accuracy—DPS isn't just for DPS checks, the faster you go, the smoother and easier the run is. Pre 3.4 I DPSed so rarely that I couldn't justify taking it over Crit melds. However in 3.4 I'm finding so many DPS opportunities that I intend to meld Accuracy.

nobopyon likes this.