Warrior 8-man party tanking

Discussion in 'Disciples of War' started by praysolace, Jun 18, 2014.

1. praysolace

praysolace Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    So I'm close to hitting level 50 and going to Castrum Meridianum for the first time! And here's where the panic attacks kick in. I think I've got the hang of the regular light party tanking I've been doing so far, but I have no clue how full party tanking works other than "there's a 'main tank' and an 'off-tank', and seven other people to judge your poor performance." I don't know what's good etiquette in a full party; I don't know who's supposed to lead; I don't know what I am expected to do as a Warrior specifically; and I don't know what to expect from the party dynamic or the trash mobs or the bosses or pulling things or anything really.

Looking online for tanking guides specifically geared for 8-man dungeons has netted me 0 relevant results, and every guide I've found for Castrum Meridianum (as the first 8-man dungeon in the game) seems to assume you know what you're doing and probably want to speedrun. So I would be super grateful if somebody could give me, essentially, "The Nervous First-Time Full Party Warrior's Guide to Tanking in 8-Man Content."

2. CJ_pt

CJ_pt Crystal Brave

Luckily, when I entered and tanked CM for the first time, the other tank was experienced and told me what to do.
    Even if you're not that lucky to have an experienced tank, I'm sure someone will tell you how to proceed, since it's a dungeon people have done quite a few times and not that complicated.

The main difference between a speed run and a normal run is that in a speed run you grab all mobs in the surroundings and the party blasts them with aoes. The important thing is trying to keep aggro on you, either by Flash/Overpower, provoke, tomahawk, rotations, etc. it may be tricky because you'll have players with very high ilvl and generating lots of aggro towards them. Don't panic, mobs usually die quite quickly anyway.

There was this topic some time ago, with opinions on MT vs OT http://ffxivrealm.com/threads/mt-v-s-ot.9968/ but most of the time the decision is based on who's experienced or who feels like doing what... Don't fret about it :)

It's a good think if you state at the beginning it's your first time there, even if people leave or complain, they'll know what to expect and will probably give you some tips on where to tank, where to take adds, etc

What helped me keeping my cool when I tanked new dungeons was going with a friend ;) it's comforting to know there is someone there to help and not judge you... I would gladly go there with you, but server constraints don't make it possible :p

Best of luck!

praysolace likes this.
  3. praysolace

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Thanks. I'm going to be running with my brother who recently hit 50 (so it's his first time too), and another friend we often run with, but that leaves five people (including the other tank) up to chance so I'm still a little nervous about it. I guess we'll just have to ask our FCs and cross our fingers for a good group.

Darn server constraints! XP

4. Ivy

Ivy Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    If the other tank wants to speed run (or anyone else and you all agree to), ask the other tank to pull would also be my recommendation. You have to be extremely quick during certain pulls in order to not die. Probably best to make sure they do it so there's no issues when it comes to progressing.
    Of course, if you're not okay with speedrunning, it'd be best to state it so that you don't end up behind and die.

5. Skylock

Skylock Crystal Brave

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    I play XIV with my wife and two RL friends. The first time I ran CM, I managed to book my FC leader in advance, who is an experienced Warrior. With him leading the show and the four of us following, we only had 3 other randoms who were along for the ride.

Our FC leader took off-tanking duties, but guided my wife through where to go/what to do on each fight, and it was pretty smooth. I think the worst thing you can do with this game is psych yourself out for potential challenges and fear of upsetting others, because in most cases, people are pretty good and patient.

6. Comrade Questions

Comrade Questions Adventurer

There aren't really many 8-man dungeons, so I'd say don't worry about it too much. Most 8-mans just have a MT who runs and does everything, the other just does DPS, the second tank is mostly superfluous and many pre-made parties just do solo-tanking for a lot of 8-man content.

However, the important place to learn during those dungeons is the boss fights, as those replicate how most 8-mans will be done in the future (since most 8-mans are primals or raids). Basically the MT grabs the biggest dude and tanks him, while the OT rounds up any adds that pop up. That's really it. Seriously, tanking is easier the higher level you go in this game, its weird but true. I have an easier time tanking the new coil than I do on 4-man dungeons.

Basically I'd just state up-front, "never done this before, do you wanna MT and I'll follow?"

7. praysolace

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Well I admit part of my nervousness is because when I did Cape Westwind I had the damnedest time trying to get aggro on those two adds, and there were only two of them—they kept bouncing between me and the Black Mage and the White Mage, even when I spammed out Flash and Overpower. Well, hopefully that was an anomaly.

8. Comrade Questions

Comrade Questions Adventurer

Gear will help a lot, but also, BLM has quelling strikes and WHM has Shroud of Saints, and it's partially on them to also make sure they are keeping their aggro down. If a BLM jumps immediately to an add and doesn't pop quelling strikes, you as a tank are going to have little chance of keeping aggro, so that's on them more than you. They might try to boss you around of course, depending upon the player and all that, but really the DPS and healers have a responsibility to watch their aggro as well.

But, keep in mind many of these dungeons might have people who are more experienced, and some of them can take down the adds so quickly that tanking them isn't really even necessary (such as doing Gardua HM, I as the bard would always grab an add and we'd just solo-tank it, the adds die so quickly they don't do enough damage to be worrisome)

9. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I hate that I'm too late! :p

I hated tanking in 8 man dungeons at first, but I got use to it. As far as etiquette goes, I personally enter runs I know well with "Any preferences [tank name here]?" unless he was a WAR or significantly more/less geared than I was, in which case I'd suggest the appropriate/ideal strat. When I didn't know the content well, I'd just let people know as soon as I entered that I was a newbie. As a WAR, you often serve better as an OT, as you're better at picking up adds and your extra DPS means they burn faster, however, a persons experience is far more important than their class and if there's a newbie in the run, that'll likely be the deciding factor as to who MTs and who OTs. Surprisingly, the newbie often MTs since OT often needs to be more aware of the mechanics, like in Ifrit HM -- MT holds still, OT needs to stun Eruptions consistently. But then in Garuda HM, MT does most of the work and needs to know the run.

If you have the opportunity to run newer content with a more experienced tank, it would be beneficial to do so, and your runs will go much smoother.

10. praysolace

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Not totally too late, Matt, I'm sure Praetorium won't be the last time I run an 8-man ;)

Seems the most important thing is to communicate. I ended up changing FCs to join some people who helped me out in Castrum and Praetorium, so hopefully I'll be able to run with people who are okay with learners (or at least another thank who is). Castrum and Praetorium weren't as bad as I'd feared, though, so I think I'll be okay now. Thanks :)

(Seriously, I don't understand why I couldn't keep aggro on two adds in Cape Westwind and yet had no problem with the adds in Castrum. It's a mystery.)