What's your pet-peeve in FFXIV: ARR?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AgelessDaisy, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Endeleon

Endeleon Adventurer

I'm kind of new, but so far I've had a lot of really annoying DPS people who keep attacking every other mob but the one I attack, so I constantly have to use rampart of whatnot to keep enmity, then they decide I wait too long after because I need to wait for my MP to regain and run ahead. Maybe if you actually did what you should, the duty would go smoothly.

2. Spokey Dokey

Spokey Dokey Crystal Brave

Server:
    Ultros
    You shall never escape this. The woe of tanking. <3

racooperii, Maaja and Endeleon like this.
  3. Endeleon

Endeleon Adventurer

Haha I figured... I guess I just find it annoying because I've come across a lot of mentality that DPS is allowed to "just do whatever" whereas tank or healer has to know all these things. >:[ We all work together!! Hopefully soon I'll get some duty friends so I no longer have to use duty finder.

4. Spokey Dokey

Server:
    Ultros
    Uhh. That sums things up pretty well actually. Lol.

The game is always more fun with friends. :)

5. kotorinbo

kotorinbo Crystal Brave

His attitude was definitely a problem if he refused to tank because a few extra mobs were pulled. However, I agree with @Maaja here. I pull only as many mobs as I feel comfortable with. If I am running with a healer I trust like @PrincessNewb, then sure. Literally all the things will be pulled. In a solo queue duty finder group, however, that means relatively conservative pulls because I have no idea about the people I am playing with. 1-2 enemies is obviously a very extreme case, but the point is still valid. Having extra things pulled out of nowhere is frustrating, especially if at least one of them is ranged. I have been killed more than once as a BLM because of a tank not being able to hold aggro in a situation like that. It just adds more stress for everyone.

Also, gear is hardly an indicator of... pretty much anything, especially dreadwyrm gear. Many players roll on FCOB drops regardless of whether they play the class or even have it leveled in some cases. My own WAR had an i130 axe and full set of pentamelded left and right side gear before I even hit level 50, and I specifically remember getting chewed out a few times by DPS who refused to believe I was new to tanking simply based on my gear. Not a good way to judge things for sure.

6. Maaja

Maaja Moderator

Server:
    Bryn, Siren
    It is true that some DPS won't follow marks. I have a great marking macro I use to mark the first 3 mobs. (some of my friends...ahem, @GeekMatt ...don't need a macro cos they have quick fingers & can mark quickly, this is not the case with me. :p ) I just leveled a second WAR to 50 doing a lot of DF dungeoning. My experience was that most DPS will follow the marks. Not all, but most. If you're not marking, then DPS seem to do whatever, unless they DPS like me & follow the tank. #trueDPSstory :D

Spokey Dokey, Sai and GeekMatt like this.
  7. Cazamar

Cazamar New Member

DPS that think they set the pace in a dungeon. You do not. If I am tanking on my PLD using the DF and DPS thinks the pace is too slow and starts pulling extra mobs then he is wrong. I don't know how good the healer is so follow my pace or level a tank and do it yourself.

GeekMatt likes this.
  8. Caimie Tsukino

Caimie Tsukino Realm Scribe

Server:
    Zalera
    Why are you using Titan-Egi though? Wouldn't that make the killing a lot slower?

9. Caimie Tsukino

Server:
    Zalera
    Hi Endeleon, sometimes it's not easy to figure out exactly which mob is being focused by the tank. One way to help smoothen this process is to mark the mobs #1 to #3, so that DPS can clearly follow. If you need a more convenient way than manual marking, you can use a marking macro that can mark all 3 at once (please see: http://ffxivrealm.com/guides/ffxiv-tanking-guide-for-beginners.56/).

Please be aware that popping Rampart does not help with enmity on mobs that are running loose to the DPS's. Rampart reduces your own injuries, thus reducing the need of heals, thus reducing the healer's enmity, thus helping you keep better enmity against the healer. However, Rampart does not affect your enmity vs that of DPS.

In contrast, Fight or Flight will increase your damage on all the mob(s) that you're attacking, thus increases enmity vs all other members.

10. Endeleon

Endeleon Adventurer

Oh yeah sorry, I didn't mean rampart. Just kinda new so I mixed the names up in my head. XD I meant Flash. And since making that post I've learned a lot about marking(my personal preference is a macro that adds a 1 immediately after using shield lob as I haven't found any other numbers to be necessary.)

Caimie Tsukino likes this.
  11. Caimie Tsukino

Server:
    Zalera
    Ah I see! No worries, I'm sure you'll make a really good tank! :cheer:

12. AgelessDaisy

AgelessDaisy Scion

Server:
    Balmung
    No Pet Peeve today, then again I just woke up. Found this and decided to share it.

13. Spokey Dokey

Server:
    Ultros
    No this is a pet-peeve for sure. HW is done. Just effing give it to us already. I'm bored as hell when I sign onto Realm. I sign on. Do dailies. Sign off. Or I just sit around and manderville naked.

14. Lunaix

Lunaix Adventurer

Server:
    Faerie
    lol this made my pet peeve today:not being able to be an astrologer. I want it NOOOOW. :(

Spokey Dokey likes this.
  15. racooperii

racooperii Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Ill be honest that most DPS I run into dont follow my marks ever.

I used to be frustrated by it, but once you get more tools and adapt the. Its kinda a meh problem lol. I still switch targets to check on aggro and hit each with RoH.

My latest pet peeve wa in Bray Normal and I was leveling healer. Tank only flashed at the start then combo'd one mob at a time so I would steal from him without trying. And he never used his CDs.

In an attempt to make my life easier I would mark off mobs Do Not attack and Repose them so I wasnt cure spamming...DPS went ot if thier way to wake everything I slept.

16. Spokey Dokey

Server:
    Ultros
    Since we're talking about DPS for the moment and in this particular case Bray, you reminded me of a run I had a week back in Bray HM. The black mage did not know how to play as a black mage, that is to say he or she did not know their rotation. We all had to teach him... makes me wonder how he even hit 50 because even if it was a secondary class (I did not look) you still have to do your rotation in FATEs.

17. Caimie Tsukino

Server:
    Zalera
    ... But.... how bad could it be???
    Even if he spams Fire III until out of MP, then spam Blizzard III to recover MP, it's still not too bad for level 30-ish dungeon!
    What rotation was he doing?

18. Spokey Dokey

Server:
    Ultros
    Well Bray HM is a 50 dungeon and if the black mage isn't doing AOEs on those pulls everyone is in trouble. His rotation? Single target...

19. Caimie Tsukino

Server:
    Zalera
    Oh it's Bray HM... oops...

20. Spokey Dokey

Server:
    Ultros
    Really no different though. Not knowing a rotation at 30, sure. But at 50? I didn't mind teaching him, it was just really puzzling.