What's your favorite anime? What do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Vamped, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Vamped

Vamped Administrator

This question serves multiple purposes.

1) I would like to know what everyone else is into

2) I am not huge into anime, but have recently been wanting to get into some new anime series. I would prefer something english dubbed, and not a ridiculous long series (isn't Bleach on like episode 500?)

With that being said, my hands down favorite is Cowboy Bebop. Great story, characters, and mix of action/comedy!
    racooperii and Zephyrus34 like this.
  2. Dragon

Dragon Well Known Member

I like a lot of different anime, and I know a lot of people may disagree with my choices (I remember some people having claimed I couldn't possibly be a fan of anime due to some of my choices & how I prefer English dubs), but here goes & I'm trying to give description without spoiling anything.

Armitage III: Dual-Matrix - English Subbed & Dubbed; absolutely my favorite anime. It is a single film, the sequel to Armitage III: Poly-Matrix (also a good film), and is the reason Armitage is my favorite anime character.

Blue Gender - Englished Subbed & Dubbed (I think both, anyways); a 26-episode anime based in a science-fiction post-apocalyptic world that's basically about a small group of super humans that have awoken from sleep after 30~something years that basically become mankind's last hope against an insect race. (Fun fact: one of the main characters has the same design & style as Armitage and why I like her.)

Elfen Lied - English Subbed & Dubbed; 13-episode about a super-human girl recovering from amnesia while her real personality is trapped inside.

Queen's Blade - Subbed & Dubbed; this is a 24~episode anime about a tournament called Queen's Blade wherein heroines from all over the land enter a tournament that is held once every 4 years to determine the new queen. (It is in no way associated with the MMORPG by the same name that has been renamed to Scarlet Blade by Aeria Games for its N.A. release due to copyright.)

Revolutionary Girl Utena - Subbed & Dubbed; it's a 39-episode magical girl series about this girl that's forced to enter a tournament. Utena would be my next favorite character after Armitage (and the one I spoke of in Blue Gender).

Sword Art Online - Subbed, but not Dubbed yet anyways (AFAIK); with 25 episodes it has become the latest anime craze among a lot of fans. It's based on a young boy that along with hundreds of others gets trapped in a permadeath virtual reality game wherein there is literally no way out except death unless someone gets to the end boss.

Umineko No Naku Koro Ni (When They Cry Higurashi) - English Subbed, no Dubs; a 26-episode anime that, without giving out any more spoilers is about a house massacre on a lonely island by a witch. Warning: it's very sadistic & definitely not for the feint of heart. (The witch in this series is just awesome, has to be my favorite villain of almost any anime.)[/size=2]

Others I enjoy include and likewise suggest are:

A Wind Named Amnesia
    Angel Blade
    Appleseed
    Baldr Force EXE
    Basilisk
    Battle Angel Alita
    Beat Angel Escalayer
    Big Wars
    Fist of the North Star
    Ghost in the Shell 1&2
    Gurren Lagann
    InuYasha
    Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
    Neo Tokyo
    Noein
    Ninja Scroll
    Outlaw Star
    Princess Mononoke
    Ronin Warriors
    Rurouni Kenshin
    Sacred Seven
    Simoun
    Tenchi Muyo
    Tokyo Babylon
    Tokyo Requiem
    Trinity Blood
    Vampire Hunter D
    YuYu Hakusho
    Witch Hunter Robin
    Wolf's Rain
    X (1999)
    Rage McMurder, Kaelemar and Estebanx1 like this.
  3. Estebanx1

Estebanx1 Active Member

I think most anime fans finds it difficult to pick one anime to be their favorite.
    Just wondering would you be open try english Sub if so you should watch Sword Art Online its an mmo inspired anime.
    As for english dub you should watch any of the .hack shows which are also mmo inspired animes lol, or you could watch Blue Exorcist its and amazing show you'll love it.
  4. Kindgineer

Kindgineer Active Member

I don't watch a lot of anime, it's not my thing, but there are a couple of movies I loved. Princess Monoke is one of my favorite movies of all time, so anything by Studio Ghibli gets a thumbs up for me. Not really sure, otherwise. I enjoyed One Piece until the English dubbing ended. Not a fan of subtitles.
    Estebanx1 likes this.
  5. Alderon

Alderon Active Member

My favorites are Bleach, Naruto, Fairy Tail and Katekyo Hitman Reborn. Saint Seiya Omega is pretty good too.
    Estebanx1 likes this.
  6. PendragonXIV

PendragonXIV Active Member

Like alot of stuff from studio ghibli howls castle and spirited away are my fav films
    Najla likes this.
  7. Jesse Welch

Jesse Welch Active Member

Death note is best anime of all time imo. 37 episodes, english dubbed. Light yagami is a high schools misenthrope who obtains a notebook from a shinigami. If you write a persons name in it while thinking of their face that persons will die. He goes on a crusade, murdering criminals who are broadcast on tv or internet, imposing his sense of justice on the world and becomes a maniac himself. It gets pretty heavy, but it is easy to follow and really makes you think.
    Estebanx1 likes this.
  8. Ffreak

Ffreak Newbie

I would suggest Code Geass, Claymore, Elfen Lied, Blue Exorcist, and Demon King Daimo. I know most of those have dubs, if not all.
  9. Dragon

Dragon Well Known Member

Okay, I just updated my list. Apparently just a few words in this case caused a 403 (Forbidden) error.
  10. YuriSan

YuriSan Active Member

Absolutely favorite is COWBOY BEEBOP!
    By far dude, by far.
    To someone that isn't into Anime a lot but wanna know where to start,
    I recommende these:

Cowboy Beebop
    Samurai Champloo
    Death Note
    Full Metal Alchemist
    Basilisk
    Wolf's Rain
    Berserk
    Ninja Scroll
    Elfen Lied
    Beck
    Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou No Shichinin

Can't really make a top 5 or anything cause all are pretty sweet.

To anime rookies I have an opinion:
    Avoid huge anime series cause they become boring after eleventy billion episodes...
    The ones that last for like 25~40 episodes are the good ones. (imo)
    JRRD likes this.
  11. ilovelamps

ilovelamps Member

I used to watch anime b the bucket, then sort of.....stopped, picked up the flame again recently and really enjoying full metal alchemist brotherhood :D. its quite different to the first show, but more loyal to the manga.
    YuriSan likes this.
  12. kitkatkita

kitkatkita Active Member

I'm quite a big fan, and prefer quite a wide range of Anime. I can't call any my "Favourite", but I have many I like quite a bit. (They'll be numbered, but of course, not in order).

1) Naruto
    2) Naruto Shippuden
    3) Blue Exorcist
    4) Fairy Tail
    5) Katekyo Hitman Reborn
    6) D.Gray-man
    7) Bleach
    8) Pandora Hearts
    9) Full Metal Alchemist
    10) Durarara
    11) Bakuman
    12) Pokemon
    13) Digimon
    14) Natsume Yuujinchou
    15) Psycho Pass
    16) Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
    17) Binbbougami ga!
    18).HackSign
    19) Accel World
    20) Sword Art Online
    21) Code Geass
    22) Code: Breaker
    23) Death Note
    24) Guilty Crown
    25) K
    26) Magi
    27) Mawaru Penguin Drum
    28) Nabari no Ou
    29) Shinsekai Yori
    30) Soul Eater
    31) Tiger and Bunny
    32) Zetsuen no Tempest: The Civilization Blaster
    33) Zettai Karen Children The Unlimited: Hyoubu Kyousuke
    34) Nura: Rise of the Yokai
    35) Black Cat
    36) Saint Seiya: Lost Canvas

From the top of my head, I cannot think of any more...

Also, from the DUB to SUB perspective, it honestly depends on the anime. I watched FMA in DUB, and it was absolutely amazing, along with Death note, Code Geass, Naruto, Pokemon, Digimon and Bleach, D-grayman's dub is pretty good too. Most of the other anime listed are only SUB, but I feel that works well for it. I felt that Fairytails dub was pretty poor, and hard to get used to.
    Estebanx1 likes this.
  13. Vamped

Vamped Administrator

This is actually one of the other few anime series that I've seen and really enjoyed.

Great list Yuri, thanks... I feel like this is something that I can start to work towards, and we seem to have similar tastes in anime.
  14. Celaria

Celaria Active Member

I'm not heavy into anime honestly, but the only ones I really enjoyed were: Trigun, Lucky Star, and K-on!
  15. Kindgineer

Kindgineer Active Member

Tri-gun was fantastic. I lost a little interest when it got to the whole space-kids thing, but still loved it.
  16. Lukien-Leonhart

Lukien-Leonhart New Member

High school of the dead is very good and id say everyone should watch it . other good ones would be queens blade,Trigun,Immortal Swordsman, theres alot of good ones out there if you look around on netflick
    Estebanx1 likes this.
  17. Alothia

Alothia Active Member

I've watched and liked:

XXXHolic
    Fruits Basket
    Love Hina
    some Tsubasa
    some Inuyasha
    Ranma 1/2
    Gokusen

And am currently watching and loving The World God Only Knows
  18. Byakuya Kuchiki

Byakuya Kuchiki Member

There's a ton i love but I highly recommend Sword Art Online.
    Estebanx1 likes this.
  19. ladyjayne sheeva

ladyjayne sheeva Member

my all time favorite is "One Piece"..can't get into fairy tales at all tried
  20. kitkatkita

kitkatkita Active Member

I can't get into One piece, LadyJayne, and I really would like to get into it. :arghh: