Warrior Warrior Rotation

Discussion in 'Disciples of War' started by NINE-1-6, Oct 28, 2016.

1. NINE-1-6

NINE-1-6 New Member

Server:
    Hyperion
    Hello everyone I am a returning player who thought they had everything figured out till I decided to become a Warrior. I'm sure threads like this are constantly made and answered but I am having no luck getting solid answers. I'm currently a level 34 Warrior and would love to know what the accepted rotation is for my currently level, and max level. I've seen many guides discussing rotations but they all seem to differ, due to updates and expansions and what not. I only have ARR, not Heavensward if that makes a difference. I see things along the lines of Overpower, Heavy Swing, Maim/Skull Sunder and Butchers Block. Why do people not include Fracture, Tomahawk, Thrill of Battle, Foresight etc in their builds? Can anyone guide me in the right direction with a full rotation, useful skills included? Thank you!

2. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

I'm not a WAR main but I know Overpower generates more threat than Tomahawk for use on pulls, so Tomahawk is just when you need aggro on a more distanced target.

Foresight is for mitigating damage, and Thrill of Battle regenerates and increases your HP. Defensive buffs like these are situational so likely won't fit into a DPS or enmity rotation guide.

Fracture I know is a DPS skill that I believe generates no enmity. There's also been off and on concerns about its impact on your TP. That being said, some may consider TP managable with it while others don't. Also it might appear in a DPS rotation but not an enmity rotation.

I know Xeno's been a big name for WAR, you might check out his guides. Theres a thread here linking to his 3.0 video but maybe from there you can find an older pre-Heavensward video.

Caimie Tsukino and NINE-1-6 like this.
  3. NINE-1-6

NINE-1-6 New Member

Server:
    Hyperion
    Thank you for taking time out of your day to reply, I'll check out the video!

GeekMatt likes this.
  4. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Hope it helps. @praysolace is the only WAR main I can think of these forums, maybe they can help.

NINE-1-6 likes this.
  5. Maaja

Maaja Moderator

Server:
    Bryn, Siren
    @GeekMatt Um, hello? Is there anyone here? I mean, Matt. I'm. so. hurt.

While I main WAR, I've been max level for so long, it might be hard for me to remember exactly what I did at 34. I CAN tell you what I do (in low level dungeons). Maybe with that, you can decipher a good rotation. I do remember tanking at low levels & using Overpower often. This is because it generates good hate. I open with a Tomahawk to pull a group, then Overpower 2 times, then I will cycle through (on each mob, first mob heavy swing, second mob skull sunder, third mob butcher's block, switching it up) my hate rotation, Heavy Swing>Skull Sunder> Butcher's Block, applying one hit to each mob - two times, then I'll OP if I see someone getting close to taking one from me. Then rinse & repeat the hate rotation. This should sustain your high enmity, but sometimes it isn't enough & you may have to add in an OP or two once in a while. DPS in regular dungeons is pretty fast, most of the time. If you want, you can feather in Berserk or Fracture, but I usually save those for the boss fights. Using Storm's Eye or Path in this scenario feels like it might just make you lose aggro since neither skill generates hate.

For Boss fights at low levels, (I think you may only have Storm's Path at 34, not even sure you have it yet) I will open with Berserk>Tomahawk>Heavy Swing>Skull Sunder>Butcher's Block>Heavy Swing>Maim>Storm's Eye>Fracture>Heavy Swing>Skull Sunder>Butcher's Block>>Heavy Swing>Skull Sunder>Butcher's Block>Heavy Swing>Maim>Storm's Eye>Fracture. Rinse & repeat that throughout the fight, popping berserk (and any other cross class buffs you may have) when they come back up.

As for your damage mitigation buffs - Storm's path is one to use on boss fights for 2 reasons, it lowers target's damage dealt by 10% and you get to absorb 50% of damage dealt as HP. Then there's Vengeance, Thrill of Battle, Foresight, and Blood Bath. (I tend to use Blood Bath in concert with Berserk and Internal Release in Deliverance at high levels pulling many mobs. It's a fun combo.) At low levels, there aren't a whole lot of tank busters to worry about, so just use the Defensive buffs you have when you know you might be taking a decent amount of damage. There have been times I'm in low level dungeons I don't really use any. Except Blood Bath w/Berserk & IR, even on groups of 3 mobs (it's just fun).

It's super late here, but I will return to this thread tomorrow to walk you thru what I do at max level in dungeons. & I can tell you that as a WAR, in raid situations, you will MOST often be the off tank. WAR DPS is killer. I can tell you 2 of the rotations that I use, raid boss permitting, an opener & a triple fell cleave rotation.

Also, this site each icon tells you what each skill does. Once you become better versed, you'll know what it all does without having to consult those icons (maybe not, cos I still have to look to see what stuff does if someone asks, I just use them cos I have to.).

I totally forgot Inner beast! *facepalm I use that whenever it's up, in Defiance, sometimes I'll pop Unchained (another one I forgot), then Infuriate, then Inner Beast for the bonus mitigation it provides (in boss fights).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    Caimie Tsukino, GeekMatt and NINE-1-6 like this.
  6. NINE-1-6

NINE-1-6 New Member

Server:
    Hyperion
    This is exactly what I was looking for. I'll try this out today and let you know how I do, thank you.

7. WAR at low lvl is pretty much just DPS in disguise. XD

You tank by generating threat with your deeps.

For pulls it's generally Tomahawk wait for the group to get into range and then overpower twice.

Follow up with with Heavy Swing -> Maim to get your 20% damage bonus.

Start your enmity combo: Heavy Swing -> Skull Sunder -> Butcher's Block.

Don't forget about Berserk. Should always be on cooldown as it increase your dps. The more dps you do the more enmity you are generating. Rinse and repeat until you get Inner Beast at lvl 35.

This is where the real fun begins. Since you get a taste of what WAR can do.

Do your combo until you get 4 stacks or Wrath. Pop Berserk and then Inner Beast.

Gets more complicated once you get higher up. I'm still getting use to doing as many Triple Fell Cleaves on one Berserk cool down.

Caimie Tsukino likes this.
  8. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    Pretty much what everyone has said, i always Tomahawk and overpower a few times for larger groups, there is also Steel Cyclone which i rarely use tbh.
    War is both tank and dps :>

Caimie Tsukino likes this.
  9. Caimie Tsukino

Caimie Tsukino Realm Scribe

Top Poster Of Month

Server:
    Zalera
    *Clear throat* I now main WAR as well... been playing it more than PLD for the past few months (until me doing PLD Anima weapon lately, which put me back to PLD. :haha:

Crimson Requiem likes this.
  10. Tufel

Tufel Adventurer

Not rotation oriented but marking the targets 1, 2, 3 helps because it focuses the dps and allows you to not use overpower as much. Then it only takes an occasional enemity hit to keep them off the healer. Just food for thought.

Well shoot didnt realize how old this was. Sorry.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    GeekMatt likes this.
  11. Maaja

Maaja Moderator

Server:
    Bryn, Siren
    This rotation, so to speak, is now obsolete with the changes to WAR. New skills & losing many has changed how it plays a decent bit. Like the use of Steel Cyclone is a very regular part of my rotation now, when MTing.

Tufel, marking is always a good idea, imo. You are correct in the idea that it focuses dps. Not always, but most often, marking does help them focus.

12. Caimie Tsukino

Top Poster Of Month

Server:
    Zalera
    I have been main-ing WAR for awhile now since Stormblood. I find the class so flexible that there's not really a set rotation...
    I mean the basics are there. With us being lvl 70, we all know:
    Heavy Swing (150) -> Maim (190) -> Storm's Eye (270) ...being the damage buff combo.
    Heavy Swing (150) -> Maim (190) -> Storm's Path (270) ...being the HP recovery combo.
    Heavy Swing (150) -> Skull Sunder (200) -> Butcher's Block (280) ...being the enmity combo.

Maim no long grants damage buff, but it gives the target a slash resistance reduction of 10%. Storm's Eye now grants a gigantic 20% damage increase, which is really gigantic.

So it's super obvious that you wanna always keep Storm's Eye active while going through the enmity combo since the enmity combo actually does a slight bit more damage when all buffs are active.

The rest are just management of the Beast Gauge and use the off-GCD skills according to need.

Normally, Infuriate should always be used as soon as it's ready, and let it always be on cooldown. There's no point having the button available there, but not using it, unless you're trying to specifically saving it for something.

The same goes for Unchained (under Defiance). Unchained now no longer eats up the Beast Gauge, so there's no point in saving it. Just use it when it's ready.

The same goes for Berserk. There's no Pacification debuff after using Berserk anymore now. So one should always keep using it, UNLESS you're trying to time it so that it buffs things like "double Fell Cleaves". Then ok, save it for a bit longer and use it before your double Fell Cleaves.

Fell Cleave (under Deliverance) is your strongest attack, and it should always be buffed with Storm's Eye's 20% bonus damage. Ideally, it should be buffed with Berserk as well, but if you're a long way from having the Berserk button ready, then there's no point in keeping the Fell Cleave waiting for too long.

When to stance dance is really entirely up to you. When you feel you're safe (keeping aggro fine and with being healthy with HP), that's the time to dance into Deliverance. If you don't like it, there's no pressure. But trust me, the Fell Cleaves can be addictive, and it makes you feel like a pro.

The defensive skills for WAR are very important. Both WAR and DRK are rather "squishy" since they don't have shield like PLD. WAR does have a tad bit of advantage over DRK due to having a bigger pool of HP. But still, this pool of HP can't last long without the use of cooldowns (a.k.a. CD, or off-GCD skills).

Our beloved Foresight, Bloodbath and Brutal Swing are no longer available in Stormblood. But we now have access to Rampart (used to be PLD exclusive) and a bunch of defensive skills from the "Role" skills panel. And to be frank, there are plenty of these defensive skills available.
    [​IMG]
    Personally, I have chosen Rampart, Anticipation, Awareness, Low Blow and Provoke. But this is really entirely up to you.

Rampart, Provoke are a must. Rampart is the most basic CD that reduces damage by 20%. It's actually better than our old Foresight, which only increases physical defense by 20% (and 20% more physical defense doesn't necessarily mean 20% damage reduction, even if we're just talking about physical damage).

Provoke... needless to explain, it's necessary... for tank switching or to catch back loose mobs. Ultimatum, which supposedly an all directional Provoke, seems pretty useless so far due to its long cooldown time and short range. Its existence on the panel has no purpose. They really need to buff Ultimatum if they want the skill to be used at all by anyone.

Low Blow is not as good as our old Brutal Swing because it does zero damage. But nevertheless it's a stun skill. And stuns are always useful, whether to stop a dangerous cast from an enemy or to simply pause 1 out of 6 mobs for a few seconds just to reduce incoming damage.

Awareness is very important PARTICULARLY TO WAR. This is because it pairs perfectly with Raw Intuition. When you activate Raw In, your flanks and rear are vulnerable to crit attacks. But if you pop Awareness at the same time, you will nullify this weakness, and all you gained is a ton of Parries from the front. Awareness has a longer duration than Raw In, so you never have to worry about flank/rear attacks being crit hits. Although, Awareness has a slightly longer cooldown than Raw In, so we sometimes have to wait until both skills are ready before popping them together again.

Out of the 5 I chose, Anticipation is probably the weakest, and some people prefer Convalescence or Reprisal. It really comes down to what content you intent to do. Reprisal is great if you wanna mitigate a really deadly attack from an extreme primal at a very specific time. However, it's drawback is that its duration is very short (only 5 sec). Convalescence is awesome when a healer is constantly pumping your HP. But it's not that great for solo activities. Anticipation increases Parry rate by 30% for 20 sec. It's not that great. But it offers some extra defensive powers.

Vengeance is a WAR's strongest defensive CD. It offers 30% damage reduction, while bounces back incoming damage back to the enemies. I use it in the same way as a PLD uses Sentinel. So yes, I only use it when I really feel the need (like if I am doing a big pull). Alternatively, if all other CDs are all on cooldown time, then I'll pop this instead, just so that my other skills can finish the cooldown time.

The remaining defensive skills include Thrill of Battle and Equilibrium. Well, they ain't exactly "defensive" since they don't increase your defense abilities. Thrill just adds extra HP onto you, while Equilibrium is a very potent self healing skill. Notice that by popping Thrill first, the amount of HP gained from Equilibrium will also be increased as well. So the two can be paired up to be used.

Equilibrium also has another function. If you're doing big pulls a lot, you'll end up depleting your TP very fast due to overuse of Overpower. Here, you can stance dance into Deliverance and then pop Equilibrium to replenish your lost TP, then you can jump back to Defiance and continue your pulls.

If, after popping CDs, you still find yourself running very low with HP, then you probably should utilize more of your self-healing attacks. This includes the Heavy Swing (150) -> Maim (190) -> Storm's Path (270) combo, as well as using more Inner Beast (against single target) or Steel Cyclone (against a large number of mobs). When against single target, Inner Beast is a better choice of HP recover, as it offers 6 extra seconds of damage reduction after the hit. But Steel Cyclone isn't half bad if you're facing a large group, as each hit will recover you a tad bit of HP. The only downside is that it doesn't offer damage reduction after the Cyclone. But if you manage your Beast Gauge well, you can do BOTH Inner Beast and Steel Cyclone one after the other.

The remaining skills to discuss include Onslaught and Upheaval. Onslaught is more about its utility than anything else. It's just a very awesome skill to transport you instantly from far away to the target... can be used to dodge something, or can be used to re-connect with the boss after dodging a big AoE. Upheavel is a plain damage skill. Unlike Inner Beast which uses up 50 points from the gauge, Upheaval only uses 20 points. Yet it ignores the damage penalty from Defiance, so it's a very strong killing blow when you're in Defiance stance. However, if I am in Deliverance though, then it's better to save up enough points on the gauge for Fell Cleave instead.

Below is a picture of my hot bars just in case you're curious.
    [​IMG]

Finally, as for Beast Gauge management, I find it best to always keep the Gauge half full. Because a full gauge would mean wasting points during combos, while an empty gauge means I can't use any special skills when I need them. So whenever my gauge is like 50, and if I see Infuriate available, I'll throw out an Inner Beast (if I'm in Defiance) or Fell Cleave (if I'm in Deliverance). And then I'll immediately pop Infuriate to fill it back to half full again. Otherwise, if Infuriate is far from ready, I'll let the gauge go up to like 70 or 80, then use up the points, and let it quickly fill back to half full again.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  13. Caimie Tsukino

Top Poster Of Month

Server:
    Zalera
    For openings, if there are three targets, I usually pop Berserk -> pull with Tomahawk -> Rampart -> Overpower -> Infuriate (while running through the mobs and turning 180 deg to face the party) -> Overpower again. Then run through Storm's Eye combo to increase damage. Then run through enmity combo while Overpower occasionally. The rest is just gauge management and defensive cooldowns management... always keeping the gauge half full and always having at least 1 defensive CD active.

For single target, I opened very similarly with Berserk -> pull with Tomahawk -> Rampart -> Overpower (just to gain that extra aggro immediately) -> Infuriate, while running to edge of arena. I understand the enmity combo offers much better aggro than Overpower, but it requires a few hits. I Overpower this way, so I can pull the boss to the edge safely. Then depending how close the DPS's aggro are with mine, I can either go Storm's Eye combo for more damage first or go enmity combo first to secure the aggro.