Warrior or Paladin?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Conzo36, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Conzo36

Conzo36 New Member

Okay so originally I decided I was going to be a warrior but I already started on leveling a Gladiator class I got that to 15 and my Marauder to level 12 but now I'm having second thoughts. I'm taking into consideration the fact that most of the quests available now Require level 15. I just wanted your opinion on whether you think Paladin or Warrior is better.
  2. Big Boss Zuzu

Big Boss Zuzu New Member

I'm at a similar place. I have both GLD and MRD at 16 and can't decide on whether I want to sword and board it up or cleave peoples skulls. I tanked my first dungeon as MRD this morning and it was fun. Going to try GLD tonight. From what Ive read, both classes get the job done so it's just a matter of aesthetics and play style.
    Conzo36 likes this.
  3. Brahma

Brahma Well Known Member

I'm thinking of becoming a tank, which is something I've never even thought about before. I don't really know all the specifics, but I'd go with my gut and say... Warrior. Seems more versatile in the long run.
  4. Renki

Renki Member

It depends on the fight. If you going to main as tank you should really have both leveled. I have both warrior and paladin lvl 50 and can say that paladin is far supperior than warrior for tanking. Atleast in my opinion. Warrior is better for clearing trash mobs and fights with lots of targets where you don't need a ton of defensive abilities. Paladin is the best for single target fights, especially with a boss that hits like a truck.

Essentially you have more Aoe dps with warrior and slightly more single target dps, but a lack of defensive abilities compared to paladin. Both will have their places in end game it is really up to you what role you want to fill.
  5. Repth

Repth Member

Warriors are more versatile as they have better threat management and AoE. Paladins just take less damage.
  6. Renki

Renki Member

I think paladin has better threat management, provoke, flash, weaponskills, sheild lob and circle of scorn. Paladin also has more MP and can recover MP during fights, thus being able to use flash more than warrior.
  7. JeckylTesla

JeckylTesla Active Member

Warriors are based on life steal, they are based on more str than vit. Though they benefit well form Vit, they are by no means worse tanks. They play differently in that aspect.
    WhiteWinged7 and Renki like this.
  8. Renki

Renki Member

Provoke does not add enmity like it used to in ffxi. Provoke puts you 1 point higher than the person with the highest aggro, so if you already have hate it is useless. So really flash and weaponskill are your only hate generators during a fight.
  9. Dragon

Dragon Well Known Member

It's very simple.

Warrior... unless you want to be a coward hiding behind a shield. :p
  10. JeckylTesla

JeckylTesla Active Member

Warriors have other AoE abilities, so Flash is really a null point at that. Threat management wise, it's pretty much the same. Weaponskill wise, PLD/GLD have ones that mitigate damage, and Warriors have moves that give them a shield based on 50% of the dmg they dealt and life steal depending on how much they deal.

They also get Tomahawk which is the same as Shield Lob.
    Renki likes this.
  11. Larsen

Larsen New Member

Warriors are kind of better in every single way except for mitigation cooldowns. Paladins have Rampart and Sentinel which will help a lot when tanking really hard-hitting bosses. That and the ability to block is pretty much the only thing paladins have over warriors who instead have:

- Significantly more HP
    - Noticeably higher damage
    - Great self-healing
    - Much better AoE threat (while still having entirely sufficient single-target threat)
    - Better cross-class skill options
    - Much better at soloing
    - Much more useful when not actively tanking (mostly pertains to raiding)
    - Far more complex and interesting mechanics, paladin is widely considered kind of primitive and boring

Paladins are going to have the advantage when it comes to solo-tanking the big bad raid boss who deals mostly physical damage, but for pretty much everything else, warrior is much better and/or more versatile. Don't underestimate the value of things such as doing reasonable damage while not tanking, something that will almost certainly be important in raid content. The big question will be whether or not warriors will actually be able to tank the raid bosses at all, and if the answer is yes, I think we'll start to see some valid complaints from paladin players.
  12. Yerex

Yerex Member

Warrior because it's been in the game since FF1 ;)
    IMO warrior looks better than the paladin. I'm gonna get warrior after I get dragoon (started with lancer) just because of dat axe. Plus paladin is a white knight.
  13. Karamethien

Karamethien Active Member

Warrior wasn't in FF1.

It is Fighter -> Knight. IIRC
    Ender Mako and Yerex like this.
  14. Yerex

Yerex Member

15. Dragon

Dragon Well Known Member

It'd be proper to say Marauder is Fighter, in the current Class/Job system.
  16. Yerex

Yerex Member

Why do you say that? Not arguing because I feel it's up to interpretation and personal opinion, just curious on your view of it

EDIT: or are you saying to call it fighter as opposed to warrior?
  17. Dragon

Dragon Well Known Member

Fighter would be a class in FFXIV, Marauder is the main class for the job Warrior.
    Yerex likes this.
  18. Yerex

Yerex Member

Ok i get what you're saying now, sorry i was really tired earlier. Wasn't thinking right lol
  19. Dragon

Dragon Well Known Member

No prob, it happens to all of us! :p
  20. Yerex

Yerex Member

Too much trying to get into a server really drains ones energy :p