Black Mage Useful Macros for Black Mage?

Discussion in 'Disciples of Magic' started by Mkilbride, May 26, 2014.

1. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Adventurer

So I just started a BLM, and am around 25, almost 26, but thinking on Macros to make it easier. Anyone got some nice ones?

One I know for srue I wanted as soon as I get more DoTs is one Macro to do all 3-4 of em.

2. Kiwi

Kiwi Crystal Brave

As a BLM there are really limited macros compared to the other classes since the rotation they use is so simple. However, here are some macros I found online that might help you. Oh and before I forget, I hear you really do not want to use Thunder 3 because you lose out on damage that way. That is what I am told at least, I do not play my BLM much so I can't really confirm that.

Flare
    Code:
    /macroicon "Flare"
    /ac "Swiftcast" <t>
    /ac "Flare" <t>
    Code:
    /macroicon "Flare"
    /ac "Raging Strikes" <me>
    /ac "Swiftcast" <me>
    /ac "Flare" <t>
    /ac "Convert" <me>
    Convert + Transpose
    Code:
    /macroicon "Convert"
    /ac "Convert" <me>
    /ac "Transpose" <me>
    Sleep
    Code:
    /macroicon "Sleep"
    /ac "Sleep" <t>
    /p Sleeping >[<t>]< please do not wake it up! <se.1>
    Eye for an Eye
    Code:
    /macroicon "Eye for an Eye"
    /ac "Eye for an Eye" <tt>

3. Hermes

Hermes Scion

Personally, I only use the sleep macro as I find it really useful to throw up a binding mark on the mob and announce "SLEEP <t>" in party chat. Blm is pretty easy to manage, otherwise. And a lot of our other skills are situational (w firestarter, thundercloud).

The flare macro can be useful if you have convert and insta up and you want to program a double flare... But that's at the loss if an otherwise valuable hotkey. So - personally, you might want to keep these free so you can weave in your own recovery (ie with transpose) or find your own pace depending on the situation.

Thunder 3 is fine to start (as it lasts an extra tic) but the DoT per tic is the same with all thunder attack. You want thundercloud procs, but not at the cost of longer casting. (when you get blizzard3 you'll understand). Thunder1 or thunder2 are fine... And equivalent, more or less... Thunder1 is faster to cast, so many ppl stick with this... Depends on your umbral recovery. Use highest thunder with TC proc (as this dmg is instant).

edit......
    So, thinking about your desire to stack DoT, I might actually think more about thinking about something like this when the tank is getting pummeled by a hard boss

Lethargy and virus <t>
    Apopopostastasis <tt>

Keep in mind I NEVER use apopopostastasis.... Lol and my auto correct has it in my phone like that... But this would be a nice place to tuck this. AND as a bonus... Outside of party, it would ignore the <tt>... Win/win

Lol, now my brain is on FIRE...

Ok, this would be good too... Just to get it all in one macro (if possible??). I'll check it out. Start in fire3 to Max dmg.

Raging strike <me>
    Quelling <me>
    Flare <t>
    Convert <me>
    Insta <me>
    Flare <t>
    Transpose <me>

And, an "oh s**t" escape macro with grouped sleep or insta freeze would be nice in a pinch...

I'll work on a few and repost.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  4. Artorias

Artorias Crystal Brave

Honestly, the only macro I use is one that I made for Aetherial Manipulation. It's a pretty useful ability if you're creative enough to actually make use of it :)

/micon "Aetherial Manipulation"
    /ac "Aetherial Manipulation" <2>

<2> Represents where I always place my tank in the party make up so that when I hit the macro, I immediately go to him/her. The most obvious use for this is when you get agro of any kind because you should be dragging it back to the tank asap. But for me personally, I have quite a few other uses for the ability as well :)
    --- Double Post Merged, May 28, 2014, Original Post Date: May 28, 2014 ---
    We don't get any DoTs other than Thunder I, II, and III. So you don't need a macro for those as they don't stack. Secondly, Kiwi has the right of it; You only want T3 on your hotbar for when Thundercloud procs because you are losing out on dps if you keep T3 up as your staple DoT. I personally prefer T1 because it costs the least amount of mana and has the shortest casting time and thus having me spend less time in Umbral and more time in Astral. While others, prefer T2. It's a mixed bag really and more preference than anything else. But you definitely don't want to be spamming T3. Go with 1 or 2.

5. Hermes

Hermes Scion

I'd love to see your other uses of AM... I'm on a console, haven't figured how to set up party order, I wish there was a hidden mark you could move for this, and AM to the marked player. Otherwise, I need to redo all my spells as macro <tt> to keep heat on tanks target... Hmm... Might be worth it to have dungeon run hotbar that isn't cycled with my active list.

Aortis, I think he's talking about dot x-skills. When I was a mid 20s... I thought about this too... It's not a bad idea, but it definitely nerfs DPS at higher lvls.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  6. Artorias

Artorias Crystal Brave

To the first part. Many of my other uses involve using AM as a means of dodging. I.e. Titan HM (have tested it there and it works very well for dodging plumes. And tested it in Ifrit HM as well for when everyone needs to stack on the tank for his massive plume. Garuda HM, it can be used to port to the tanks side if there is, for whatever reason, a tornado in your way as you'll not get damaged by going through it. (because even the best laid plans only go as far as the first shot)

Another use I have for it is in Halatali HM for dodging Cold Stare by the Catoblepas (sp?) The tank will almost always be in a position where he/she will not be affected by cold stare so by their side is the optimal "dodge point" I also use it just to have fun in dungeons when I'm bored to just randomly port to the tank in between encounters (<--not a practical use but again, it's fun, for me :p)

As a whole, I can pretty much make use of it in any situation that requires dodging. Some players would argue that's "being lazy". But I believe in the saying "Fight smarter, not harder". So if there is a way for me to not have to focus (as much) on dodging and more on DPS'ing, you can bet I'll be using it :). Also, the players that would call you lazy for it, are incidentally the same players that are jealous (imo) that either A.) They didn't think of it first or B.) Can't do it themselves.

To the second part: That's great and all, but doing something like that for lower levels, and training yourself to do it, is ultimately setting oneself up for failure in later levels. Humans are creatures of habit. So inevitably, some players would end up trying to continue using that hypothetical macro out of habit, when in fact, they need to get rid of it altogether. That's how my brain works anyway. So I tend to "train" myself to implement skills in such a way that regardless of what level I am (in the event of being synced) I switch back to that particular pattern with little to no effort on my part. So while a good idea in theory, it would ultimately not be suggested imo :)

Edit: Also, that macro I posted should work for console as well because as far as I know, you can set up macros in the same manner as everyone else. Not sure how you open up the party window on console (for PC its under the social tab and then Party Members), but there should be an "arrow" button of sorts at the bottom that will allow you to place any player, anywhere you want in the party list. Simply click on the player you want to "move" and then utilize the "arrows" at the bottom. For the sake of the macro, I always place my tank in the <2> slot, which is right under yourself :)

Last edited: May 28, 2014
    Hermes likes this.
  7. Hermes

Hermes Scion

I'll play w party window option. Thanks for tip

Artorias likes this.