"Tricks" for beginner crafters lvl 20 or lower

Discussion in 'Crafters & Gatherers' started by Caimie Tsukino, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Caimie Tsukino

Caimie Tsukino Realm Scribe

Server:
    Zalera
    I decided to create this thread to help the beginner crafters. These were the most basic "crafting tricks" that I picked up when I was a nobody, and with very minimal cross class skills. But I don't think many crafting guides mention these. So I think it'd be helpful to bring them up before they're completely forgotten. Especially when the Ixali Crafting Beast Quests are on the trend at the moment, there are probably some people who are new to crafting and need a little bit more help. This mini-guide intends to help those brand new crafters who don't even have multiple lvl 15 cross class skills yet, and those who cannot even make their own HQ crafting gear yet.

Understanding Crafting Conditions

First, you need to know that there are 4 types of "Crafting Conditions":
    1) Normal
    2) Good
    3) Excellent
    4) Poor
    Conditions have nothing to do with synthesis (i.e. progress), and has everything to do with touches (i.e. quality).
    - Good conditions pop up at about 20 to 25% chance. A touch under Good condition will give 1.5x quality increase.
    - Excellent conditions pop up at about 5 to 10% chance. A touch under Excellent condition will give 4x quality increase.
    - Poor always pops up right after an Excellent. Followed by a Normal. Poor gives 0.5x quality.
    - You can never get a Good right after a Good.

How to "bait" for favorable conditions by mixing Synthesis, Touch and using Observe

Ideally, you want as many touches as possible to land on a Good or Excellent condition. The way to maximize your chance can be performed by the following or similar baiting methods:

(1) Pop your Inner Quiet & Steady Hand, and let the "baiting" begins!
    (2) If the condition is Normal, use Basic Synthesis to increase progress instead of quality. If the condition is Good or Excellent, your "baiting" is successful. Use Basic Touch instead.
    (3) Repeat the above until your progress is just 1 step away from completion. Now you're "forced" to increase quality. However, if durability is close to the limit, but you still have CP to spare, you can now use "Observe" for 14CP to continue baiting for favorable conditions before you use Basic Touch.
    (4) When you don't have extra CP to spare, you are ultimately forced to use Basic Touch to increase quality.
    (5) Use the final step to use Basic Synthesis to complete your synthesis.

[​IMG]
    Observe (gained from any class at level 13) - Do nothing for 1 turn at the cost of 14 CP without consuming durability.
    Most people have no idea what this is for. This is a low level skill to "bait" for favorable conditions when durability is the limiting factor while CP is not. This skill is useless once you have acquired more Basic Crafting Skills & Cross Class Skills.

Inner Quiet (IQ)

Inner Quiet grants a bonus control (20% of base control) every time when quality is increased. Control is the stats that determines the strength of your touches. Thus stronger control will help with quality.

Lets say, you originally have 130 control (I'm just making up numbers). Each "Basic Touch" gives rise to, lets say, 70 quality. Without Inner Quiet, you will forever gain +70 quality each time you use Basic Touch. But with Inner Quiet, each time after a touch, you gain extra 20% of your base control (in this case, 20% is 26), and so the next time you touch again, it'll be more than just 70 quality. It ends up with something like this:
    -> Click Inner Quiet (IQ stack = 1)
    -> Basic Touch -> +70 quality (IQ stack 2, control+26, reached 156)
    -> Basic Touch -> +80 quality (IQ stack 3, control+26, reached 182)
    -> Basic Touch -> +90 quality (IQ stack 4, control+26, reached 208)
    -> Basic Touch -> +100 quality (IQ stack 5, control+26, reached 234)
    ...etc.

As you can see, under the influence of Inner Quiet, each Basic Touch will give 10 more quality than the previous. It's a linear increase. So every IQ stack, the additional bonus control is still calculated base on your base control number. However, when you level up, gear up or use food to increase your base control, that 20% bonus will also increase.

Inner Quiet should always be your 1ST BUTTON TO PRESS! (...unless your initial CP is so low that you don't even have enough for 2 Basic Touches after an Inner Quiet, then you may consider skipping Inner Quiet.) (Or unless you have level 50 Alchemist skill "Comfort Zone", then Comfort Zone becomes your 1st button.)

[​IMG]
    Inner Quiet (gained from any class at level 11) - Remember that this is the 1st button to press before you do anything else!

Crafting Food

If you are always just lacking that little bit of CP, Control or Craftsmanship, please do yourself a favor, and eat some crafting food. Really, they're DIRT CHEAP, and can be easily obtained from ANY city's market vendor - one of the many NPC merchants who stands at the market place (I am not referring to the Market Board). Food also gives extra 3% exp bonus. So why not?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Mint Lassi, Salt Cod and Frumenty can be bought ~15 gil each at any city mark vendor. They add extra Craftsmanship, Control and CP respectively, at a cost much cheaper than buying or making a new gear.

Epilogue
    As demonstrated above, even BEFORE you have multiple level 15 cross class skills to fiddle with, there are still "brains" involved in crafting. The "tricks" in this mini-guide certainly do NOT apply when you have gained more cross class crafting skills & stats. But it shows that there are some very basic ways to HQ things before you even have any cross class powers. Just as I said in my advanced crafting guide, "The best crafter is not the one with the best stats, but the one who makes the best use of one’s stats". I'm not saying one should limit one's stats. But don't blindly go for stronger stats without even thinking about how to utilize that power. Always make the most out of what is available at your current levels!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    ilmaestro, MadwitTY, nobopyon and 2 others like this.
  2. Jinzuku

Jinzuku Vice Administrator

Server:
    Phoenix
    Thanks for this Caimie, already learnt something from this and will put it into use when I'm next online.

Did not know that the quality effects the touches and I'm on the people you mentioned that didn't understand the point of Observe.

3. Shiroe Shirogane

Shiroe Shirogane Crystal Brave

I'd like to add buy mats from regular vendors when you can. Learn what vendors stock what mats so you're not having to run out and harvest them or pay inflated prices on the market. The reason being that crystals can be limited early on, especially if you are doing all the crafts, so conserve your crystals when you can!

Secondly, make HQ crafting sets and drop in a materia, even if it's a +earth resistance, to spirit bond your gear. It's never too early to start stock piling materia, and you'll save yourself hundreds of thousands of gill when you start to hit 50 and really need them.

Don't bother spirit bonding main and off hands. You out level them way too quickly, and since they are not cross class items, they don't spirit bond at the same rate as other items.

Don't forget about GC leve's! They have great items you can get from achievements and from vendor for turn ins like gear, jewelry, venture tokens, Cordials (GP drinks for gathering), level 50 mats (you'll need lots of these!), etc. Never ever too soon to start doing these and I highly recommend them.

Leve's are a great way to level quickly, you get 3 every 12 hours, and in some cases is the only way to obtain rare mats for some crafting classses. It really depends on the rate you want to level, etc. Your leve's max out at 100 though, so if you're not using them they're getting wasted.

4. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    Got my CUL to 37 last night so now I have to get Carpenter to 50 which will take ages as it's only just hit level 30.

I try to do the GC supply hand ins and use normal leves to level crafting classes. I forgot about GC leves, are these worth doing instead of normal leves?

Hermes likes this.
  5. Caimie Tsukino

Server:
    Zalera
    Not in my opinion. Handing in HQ items to regular Tradecraft Leves + doing GC supply is quite sufficient already.

The rest is just doing crafting logs...

If you run out of leves, just harvest or buy stacks of oak, mahogany and rosewood logs, and just turn them all into HQ lumbers. That will give you a lot of exp and improve your crafting skills too... allowing you to test out different rotations until you're satisfied. And the lumber products are useful to yourself, or could be sold for pretty impressive prices (check the MB first!).

This beginner crafting guide doesn't apply to you anymore. You're way pass that point. It's about time for you to pick up my advanced crafting guide.

6. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    Cool. I will have to look at your advanced guide to see if I can fashion out a rotation out of it. I've discovered while crafting just how different it is to combat (beside the obvious), for me working out a combat rotation is really easy but for crafting I really struggle. Goes to show how my mind is wired lol. Thinking about it, it's probably because this is the first game I've played that's had such in-depth mechanics for crafting.

Caimie Tsukino likes this.
  7. Caimie Tsukino

Server:
    Zalera
    That's the cool part of it! That's why i dont usually just give out rotations. It ruins people's fun! You should figure out your own, and we can compare rotations and discuss if you need help. My rotations are not the best anyway. ;)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  8. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    I will have to see what I can come up with then. Getting Carpenter to 50 will be slow going as nowadays I have to balance my already limited gaming time between FFXIV and Destiny. Trying so hard not to look too hard at Shadows of Mordor because the more I do the more tempted I am to buy that too :banghead:

9. Shiroe Shirogane

I'd say it depends. Every time you hand in items, you earn your FC credits, so I did it regularly, and at this point it doesn't really take much effort to keep a stack of ores, etc. 2nd reason I do it is it gives me a good reason to go out and get my challenge log done for the week. It's not like I'd go out fishing unless I was motivated to do so, and those two together are enough to get me out there. Do you have to do it? No, but it's another option to do the supply runs, gets you experience, seals, challenge log completion, etc. so why not!
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 2, 2014 ---
    I think that's why people who just do turn-ins and don't spend a lot of time crafting have trouble. You have different events come up, and you have your bag of tricks to deal with them in terms of skills. Many of them can get your out of a bind, but generally you need to have had experience being under geared, under CP'd to get a feel for what you need to do later on and how each skill can work for you.

MadwitTY likes this.
  10. Crimson Requiem

Crimson Requiem Scion

Don't forget that you can also lvl your crafters with the Ixhali beastmen tribe quests.

11. Shiroe Shirogane

Yep, good point :p

12. Artorious Abysswalker

Artorious Abysswalker Adventurer

This will be very helpful to me. Thank you so much for this information!

13. Tyo Ganajai

Tyo Ganajai Crystal Brave

Server:
    Bryn
    Crap, they max at 100? I've been sitting on them for awhile now. Gona have to rush a few levels in something now.

14. Caimie Tsukino

Server:
    Zalera
    Yea, if you wanna maximize leveling speed of DoH/DoL, it's always better to keep them below 99. But if you wanna just take it in a relaxing way, then don't worry too much. :p

15. Hermes

Hermes Scion

Lol. I'll ruin your fun Jinzuku ^^

Caimie is being modest... Her rotations are great, it's just most of them require you are maxed in all the crafting classes. And even then, you will have to fight RNG before you get comfortable with the expensive star level crafting... My blood pressure still goes up substantially every time i do.

16. Pearl

Pearl Crystal Brave

Lol, yes Caimie is being very modest! I'd have to say her rotations are one of the best if not the best! ;) What would we do without her!

17. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    Just as an update, I managed to get Carpenter to level 50 :D

I've been advised to get my Weaver to 50 next.

Hermes likes this.
  18. Caimie Tsukino

Server:
    Zalera
    Congrats! Yes, Weaver is the choice!
    After WVR 50, you can HQ some 1 star item without too much trouble already.
    After WVR 50, go for BSM & GSM 50....Then ALC & ARM.
    You dont really ever need LTW & CUL's level 50 cross class skills.

19. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    Ok, made a note of the order. I found the levelling to get a lot tougher after I hit level 45.

Although, I didn't realise until level 47 I could have used the Ixal quest to help level my crafters too :p

20. Artorious Abysswalker

Artorious Abysswalker Adventurer

I will start using this template for my crafting classes. I need to level them up for my FC.