Tournament Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MasterBox, May 13, 2017.

1. MasterBox

MasterBox Scion

Server:
    Behemoth
    Hello,

Coming back after a long break..
    Can you no longer battle the NPC (or any) at the Golden Saucer to a Tournament match?

If not, what is a good way to find people to play?

Kind of wish there would be a little Icon over players head that would let other players know they are participating in the current tournament.

Thanks

2. MasterBox

MasterBox Scion

Server:
    Behemoth
    oh.. well I just discovered you can go to a duelist room found in the duty finder.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    GeekMatt likes this.
  3. Caimie Tsukino

Caimie Tsukino Realm Scribe

Top Poster Of Month

Server:
    Zalera
    They have changed the rules! We can no longer directly choose who we play against in triple triad tournament anymore. This is to prevent people with alts to cheat.

As you have found out, we now have to go through the DF, enter the battle arena, and register with the assistant there to play against anyone in tourny. The assistant will queue you up with another player in the same arena who have also registered for tourny, and allow you to play ONCE against him/her.

It is a total pain when I try to do it during U.S. a.m. time and nobody is there. So, I usually just go against the NPCs there in the arena, which you can also play against in tourny matches. The tourny points gain per win is much lower with NPCs, but there is zero wait time, and the chance of winning is higher.

MasterBox likes this.
  4. Caimie Tsukino

Top Poster Of Month

Server:
    Zalera
    However, you can imagine the most hardcore TT players still cheat... They just need to log in with alts using a different computer during empty hours, make sure they are in the same arena as their main, and queue with their main at the same time. They will need many alts to cheat like this, and they can no longer do practice matches before the tourny matches to find a way to 100% win. So the new rules certainly made it very difficult to cheat.

MasterBox likes this.
  5. MasterBox

MasterBox Scion

Server:
    Behemoth
    Thank you Caimie.. that helps a lot.

6. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Crystal Brave

Caimie seems to know an awwwwwwwwful lot about how the cheaters do things :what::ermahgerd::hero:

MasterBox likes this.
  7. MasterBox

MasterBox Scion

Server:
    Behemoth
    She was #1 on Zalera a few times while I was there :p

8. Caimie Tsukino

Top Poster Of Month

Server:
    Zalera
    Isn't it only too obvious that I was one of them cheaters? LOL

The TT tourny (TTT)'s point calculation system has this feature, which a player with more wins will payout more points to others when he/she loses. This is why you can see some players with only 12/20 wins could have more points than a 20/20 player. To exploit this system (back in 2015), Valestia and I created some alts, to "feed" wins to one another. I had 2 alts (CA1 and CA2) and she had 1 alt (VA1). So I first use CA1 and lose 10 matches to VA1. Then Caimie wins 5 matches against VA1. Now both CA1 and VA1's records are ruined. So we feed the remaining 5 VA1 matches to CA2. And Valestia can now win 5 against CA2. Next, we feed all our remaining alts' matches to friends of ours who has TT but did't care about TTT, and then they purposely lost to our mains. Because all the win/loss have to be tightly controlled, before each match up with a new alt or new person, we had to do at least 3 to 4 practice matches to find out perfect "sequences" of play in both scenarios of "blue starting first" and "red starting first".

Even though this method worked well, and made me #1 a few times like MasterBox mentioned, you can imagine that it's actually extremely time consuming, and mechanics-heavy. Raising alts isn't fun, and not every match-up can be controlled 100% even after all those practice matches. Sometimes, you intended to create a loss and it could end up a win, messing up the win/loss ratio that you're trying to create. Valestia and I also had to "record" the sequences of card play by making a huge number of screenshots, and had to follow them. Obviously, not every friend of ours were willing to do that, so it was very hard to control the win/loss outcome.

Was the final payout worth it? Well, #1 place earned about ~140K MPG back then, which was very nice. And you also get unique cards like Lightning or Firion. But even so, after a few times scoring #1, I gave up the cheating. Because it was just too much effort.

Now, with the new TTT rules implemented, it's even harder to control the outcome, or to "feed" wins. If someone is still using the above method to win the TTT, which is a ridiculous amount of work, then I think they deserve to win the TTT. In addition, back then there were very limited ways to earn large amounts of MGP. But now, even just doing challenge log (the Gold Saucer part) per week earns you heaps of MGP anyway. So there's even less reasons to cheat in TTT.

Here are 2 recent screenshot to show you that even without cheating, I'm still getting 2nd place anyway, and the payout was very nice. So why bother with that trouble to cheat anymore? The time I spent on just playing against the NPCs was at least 10 times faster than cheating.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

P.S. I have also become quite an expert with GATEs, which I think is a better choice to earn MGPs. But we can talk about those another time :p :p :p