Realm News The Realm 1.9.9 Is Live!!!

Discussion in 'The Realm Noticeboard' started by Fybrile, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Tonberry
    Update 1.9.9: "Community Connections" is Live!!!

ffxiv_wp03.jpg

We are proud to present the very first of our three-part update as we ramp up towards Heavensward, Update 1.9.9: "Community Connections". For this initial update, we have focused mostly upon improving communication and networking between members around the Realm. We've revamped the forums list, added a ton of features around the site to help you get in touch with others more easily, added a bit of customization to your profile pages, and overhauled our front page. Not to mention these cute new emoticons...

:joy::hello::funnyguy::what::ninja::cheer::bye:

All-in-all, there were over 40 front and back-end additions that have been made to the site, all focused on the best part of the Realm, great community and discussion.

Here's some of the Highlights of 1.9.9...

A Revamped Front Page
    fp.png

On the Home Page, we've added a Slider, big, bold new Featured Threads, Top Guides from the site and a Trending block at the bottom of the sidebar, all to take you directly to the content you're looking for most!

Featured Threads

:what:"So... what are 'Featured Threads'???"

Well, let me answer you, confused little onion head! Every now and then, when something big is happening on the Realm or in the wonderful land of Eorzea, or when we've just got a thread that we think is really great, we're gonna go right ahead and feature it. It'll have a big ol' picture in the slider on the front page for everyone to see, an aesthetically-pleasing block there as well with its very own background, and a tag in the forums index for everyone to see.

We will be constantly choosing threads from around the Realm to Feature on the site portal for everyone to see. And, there might even be a trophy with your name on it for having one of your own threads featured.

Gamer Profiles
    profile-cards.png

Now, you can set your gamer profiles and social networks to display in icons on your message postbit (pictured above), your member card that appears when someone clicks on your name, as well as your own profile page!

Currently, you can set your information for:

Facebook
    Twitter
    Google+
    Youtube
    PSN
    XBoxLive
    Twitch

(There are a couple others you can set as well, but they won't be appearing as icons anywhere except your profile information.)

To set your Gamer Profiles, just go to your Contact Details in your User Menu (the tab with your name on it) and fill in the areas you want to share!

Top Poster of the Month

Yep. On the Forums page, very soon (as the site goes back live and things start to cache again), you'll see a block listing the Top Posters of the Month. At the end of the month, the top poster gets their very own banner on their postbit, a trophy, included in the Realm Hall o' Fame, and a whole lotta bragging rights!

Tags

#Tags

You can put tags in your threads now, to help people find the content they're looking for even faster. You can search tags, review the trending themes in the sidebar, and see similarly-tagged threads to the one you're currently reading.

Members Page

The Members Page makes its return with 1.9.9, and with it, a whole lot of little improvements you'd never probably realize were there unless we told you they were there.

So, with that in mind, we added:

1. Search Members
    2. Contact icons
    3. Sort by Top Poster
    4. Sort by number of Followers
    5. Sort alphabetically
    6. Sort by number of Featured Threads
    7. Sort by Guides
    8. Birthdays​

Profile Covers

You can set profile covers to your profile page now, just like in Facebook. Also in your profile page (and others') you'll see a couple shiney new buttons like:

1. Poke
    2. About Tab
    3. Trophies
    4. Featured Threads
    5. Gamer Cards​

And dozens more new features we hope you'll come across as you use the site!

Well... it's time we brought the site back from maintenance. We apologize for keeping everyone waiting an extra three hours for it to complete this time. Hope you enjoy the update, enjoy the site, and enjoy the game!

And if you liked this update, Realm 2.0 is right around the corner...

Update 1.9.9 Notes (open)
    1. Upgraded the client to Xenforo 1.4.3
    2. Added a "Most Followers" tab to the Members Page
    3. Added an "Online Status" indicator on members' postbit
    4. Added an option to Sort Members alphabetically
    5. Added an option to link users' accounts their Gamer Profiles in their "Contact Details" settings
    6. Added social media and gamer profile icons to users' postbits, profile pages and modals
    7. Added Profile Cover photos to member profile pages
    8. Added a Poke feature
    9. Added Trophies Link to the User Menu
    10. Added a function to Search Members in the search options
    11. Added a "Conversation Button" on user postbits, profile pages and modals
    12. Added a function to send an Alert to a user when they receive a warning
    13. Revamped the Notifications pop-up to display more data
    14. Added a function to Quote parts of a post directly by highlighting text
    15. Added a fixed Go to Top/Bottom button
    16. Added Live Update notifications that will appear in browser tabs and mobile phone widgets
    17. Added a function to control how live updates appear in User Preferences
    18. Added Last Posters' Avatars to the Forum Index
    19. Added a View Count to Guides
    20. Added a function to Sort Guides by number of views
    21. Added a function that Hides Poll Fields until selected when creating a new thread
    22. Added a Slider CAPTCHA to the user registration process
    23. Added a function to Block Registrations from the same IP
    24. Added a function where users can import an Avatar from URL
    25. Re-enabled the Members tab
    26. Added a Tagging feature around the site.
    27. Added a Trending Now widget to show trending topics
    28. Added a Top Posters of the Month widget and banner
    30. Added new Emoticons
    31. Added Featured Threads
    32. Added a Slider to the Front Page

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  2. JMATAWWCL

JMATAWWCL Moderator

Server:
    Mateus
    The Realm never looked better!

delta5ff, Kolossus and Fybrile like this.
  3. Jinzuku

Jinzuku Vice Administrator

Server:
    Phoenix
    LET THE POKE WARS BEGIN!!!!!!!

delta5ff, Caimie Tsukino and Kolossus like this.
  4. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Tonberry
    Honestly, I took out all the toys from the toy box, bought a new box, bought a lot of new toys, threw their boxes all over the floor, and now I'm trying to put it all away... This update took 14 hours, and I'm still working on it. There'll be a few days of bugs to work out, but by the end of the weekend, it should be looking like it's old (smoothly running and sexy) self again.

God, I love those new notification animations in the bottom-right :glee:

5. Solanales

Solanales Crystal Brave

Well wow... I feel special lol. I get a trophy first thing for having a featured post I suppose O___O I'm famous!

Thanks a ton for featuring the Festival so much and I'm really excited for all the new stuff =D

Kolossus and Fybrile like this.
  6. Laventious

Laventious Crystal Brave

Looks amazing :swoon:

7. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Tonberry
    There are currently some issues with Safari wanting to do its own thing. Shows me for testing responsiveness with a WP. Bear with me for a night (it's 2am here and I've been at it since 11am yesterday), and I'll have it fixed and looking as great on iOS devices as it does in Chrome in no time.

Hermes likes this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Scion

:dizzy::hypnotize:

It looks great now. I'm sure you can still fix any bugs after you've slept.

Kolossus, Jinzuku and Fybrile like this.
  9. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Tonberry
    First big update. Want to make sure we give a good impression.... though... that emoticon... so... zzzzzzz

10. Ivy

Ivy Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    Yay, lazy mode update where I can see if I have new alerts just by keeping the realm's site up in a tab.

Jinzuku and Solanales like this.
  11. Solanales

Solanales Crystal Brave

I think thats my favorite part so far haha.

12. Ivy

Ivy Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    On another note - would it be possible to up the avatar's KB allowance? Even to 100 KB over 50 KB would be fantastic. My grainy screenshots make me sad. I'm messing with covers right now and they don't seem to have a limitation with KB (aka uploading random wallpapers I have).

13. Solanales

Solanales Crystal Brave

One minor issue I noticed on the contact page is that the youtube link only seems to work if it's a user not a channel. So like my gmail username is different from my channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVBONHaC3aNPvvrH7CAtCvQ

So going there, obviously it does work. But if I use the userid, channel id, shortlink, so on so forth nothing works because the link generated is youtube.com/user instead of /channel.

Unsure if this is even fixable, but wanted to point it out.

14. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Tonberry
    Once I've ironed out all the bugs from 1.9.9 and got it nice and responsive, we'll take a look at the loadtimes and see if there's something we can do about those avatars.

:idea:

Erm... I have neither a YouTube account nor a channel, so I will need some time for this one. It will likely be addressed in one form or another in the next update.

:apology:

MiKairi likes this.
  15. CJ_pt

CJ_pt Crystal Brave

The Realm looks great! Good job :good:

16. wildbillhdmax01

wildbillhdmax01 Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Mateus
    This is a Really Great Update to the Website! I love everyone of the New features! :joy:
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 15, 2015 ---
    Wow I got a Like on my post, and love the little notification that came up. This is a great update. Even the Little stuff is really neat. Like the little number that comes up on the Tab Icon. I can't wait to find all of the little features, and stuff you put in. You guys did a great job! Keep it up!

17. Hermes

Hermes Scion

Site looks great, but its a lot harder to navigate from a mobile device. It doesn't reformat down like the previous versions had. Not sure what your mobile users think, I'm on an iPhone 5S and find I have to zoom in for everything.

18. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Tonberry
    Hey @Hermes ,

Yeah, sorry about that. I've temporarily turned off the site's responsiveness to address a few issues that were coming up with some third party widgets. I've actually just rolled up my sleeves and am making good headway with getting the mobile theme back online. You should be seeing the site in all its responsive glory within the hour.

**Update** Should be fully responsive now, @Hermes :idea:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  19. DarkAshelin

DarkAshelin Crystal Brave

Love the new update! The tab notifications are awesome.

wildbillhdmax01 and Fybrile like this.
  20. Hermes

Hermes Scion

:hero: Epic and awesome.

wildbillhdmax01, Jinzuku and Fybrile like this.