The PVP Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vamped, Mar 7, 2013.

?

How would you like to see PVP in FFXIV ARR? (multiple choice)

1. Battlegrounds type PVP (8v8, 12v12, 16v16, etc.)

65.3%
  2. Arena type PVP (1v1, 3v3, 5v5)

59.3%
  3. Open World PVP Servers

30.5%
  4. Just Dueling

22.9%
  5. None at all

5.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PendragonXIV

PendragonXIV Active Member

yoshi also mentioned that there will be different gear for pvp with different stats showed off some art work in latest live letter
    Estebanx1 and Danforth Wright like this.
  2. Mjsscott

Mjsscott Member

In live letter VI yoshi said that spectating is in their plans and they would like it to be from the players pov, however due to some copyright issues they will have to work out it most likely wont make it for launch.
    Pendragon likes this.
  3. Brandon

Brandon Member

Ya he also said that the Colosseum would be 4v4 and will we will be able to use the duty finder for matches.
  4. Mjsscott

Mjsscott Member

I think he said it had its own matchmaking system actually ?
  5. Brandon

Brandon Member

either way I cant wait to play :woot:
  6. Mjsscott

Mjsscott Member

damn straight!
  7. Scape

Scape Active Member

Wish I was more into PvP. I tried it a bit in Tera and had some fun with it, but it still isn't for me.
  8. Estebanx1

Estebanx1 Active Member

Btw Danforth Wright I saw that Dr. Mog read your question about E-Sports PvP. :D Thanks for asking.
  9. Danforth Wright

Danforth Wright Well Known Member

I'm pleased you noticed that. The consensus seems to be that PvP should and will be supplemental to FFXIV. Not quite good enough for e-sports. I think a lot of people are seeing things through the RPG and FFXI glasses. While PvP may not rise to e-sports level, it might get very close.
    Estebanx1 likes this.
  10. Orien

Orien Well Known Member

Nah. PvP isn't going to be close to that level in XIV. I think the part that will be the most used is the faction (at least if executed well) battles as they will be tied to GC's and I'd imagine you'd earn rewards from your GC based on performance as well as whatever PvPcentric rewards might come from it.

Don't ever underestimate the number of Carebears that the FF name will bring to a game.
    Meathooks and Estebanx1 like this.
  11. Estebanx1

Estebanx1 Active Member

True, But I'd love for PvP content to be as big and as diverse as PvE content. I don't want it to be some feature that was added there just because.
    Danforth Wright likes this.
  12. Danforth Wright

My thoughts exactly. More than a mini-game is what I say and Ballista and Brenner were basically throw away mini-games in FFXI. I'd like to see some dedicated PvP content/updates and a healthy PvP community.
    Estebanx1 likes this.
  13. Estebanx1

Estebanx1 Active Member

Lets hope that PvP in ARR de\oesn't die with two weeks/months.
  14. Gilthas

Gilthas Active Member

cant wait for PVP! have you guys seen some of the armors? they are spectacular :3
  15. Danforth Wright

Indeed. Especially the gear that's speculated to be for the dragoon.
    Estebanx1 likes this.
  16. Seifen

Seifen Active Member

I've tried to enjoy PvP across many MMO's that I've played. Unfortunately (regarding many of the popular ones), it was always a matter of spank, or be spanked. I was interested in PvP when it was mentioned in the Live letters. Then when I read what Yoshi had to say in Live Letter VI, about how you will be able to progress in PvP by becoming stronger with new abilities, my interest subsided. When I beat someone fair and square, I don't want to be rewarded with the means of beating them again UNfairly, with stronger gear or skills. I want a rematch with them, on an equal playing field as before. That way, they always have that chance to up their game, surprise you and turn the tables. This keeps PvP exciting, in my opinion. What is not exciting, is joining an arena match, and seeing that your opponent has twice the amount of hp that you do.

As someone already mentioned before, PvP is largely about bragging rights. For this reason alone, PvP rewards should only be vanity based, for the sake of balance and maintaining the legitimacy of the aforementioned bragging rights. I am not bothered by certain classes being less desirable in PvP settings, as balancing classes for PvE should be number 1 priority. PvP gear with increased stats, and skills that make you stronger (even if only limited to a PvP setting) will only serve to widen the gap between viable PvP classes and non-viable ones.

I am likely to still participate in PvP with my FC buddies, but how much I enjoy it will largely depend on the reward scheme. In a year or two, if I have a full set of pvp gear and I run into one of you guys who is just testing the pvp waters, and I whomp you before the battle has even begun, then know that I will shed a tear at the sad state of PvP. On the reverse side, if one of you gets geared, and has to square up with my non-geared self, please have mercy and make it end quickly (feign your own death :D ). Tyvm.
    Bronc, Vamped, Meathooks and 3 others like this.
  17. Celaria

Celaria Active Member

I will not, PVP, plain and simple. I did it in WoW, from what I gather this will be the same system, I don't and never did like WoW pvp, it was too easy and all about gear, so I'll just plain not do it in XIV, besides to me FF games are about PVE for me, PVP has no place in a FF game, aside from maybe duels. however that's my personal opinion.
  18. Meathooks

Meathooks Member

I'm stoked that they are adding it, but I hope they are working to do it right.

The Frontlines system is a great nod to DAoC and 3 Faction large scale PvP is a totally different game from the typical Battleground or Arena type matches. It's a great way for players to get in touch with other members of their faction, who aren't in their LS or FC. It offers up the same opportunities for teamwork and camaraderie and all that, with the added bonus of using that against actual players. Individual skill's effectiveness is minimized, and great leaders can rise up for their faction. Overall it's a great community builder.
  19. Estebanx1

Estebanx1 Active Member

What ever PvP ends up being will determine if the playerbase will enjoy or hate it. Lets hope its good.
  20. Vamped

Vamped Administrator

Balanced, unbalanced..... rewards, no rewards; I don't care. I am still going to come home from work to slay some noobs either way :p

Seifen, you make a great point though. For a truly rewarding PVP experience, there can't be any stat-affecting rewards in the mix. That's why in a MMO, it is hard to truly become "competitive" until everyone you PVP against has the best of the best gear.
    Mjsscott likes this.