Featured FFXIV News The Palace of the Dead; new dungeon type coming in Patch 3.35

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy XIV News' started by Fybrile, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Masamune
    [​IMG]

During a Looking Heavensward panel at PAX East, Final Fantasy XIV director and producer Naoki Yoshida was asked about new content coming in future patches. Revealed is a new type of content based around the theme of “The Deep Dungeon!” and it can be played solo or with a party of up to four players.

It’s called The Palace of the Dead and will release with Patch 3.35.

The levelling system will be entirely separate from the main game, and item level does not work. That way, everyone can participate in the content together no matter of their level or gear progression. The dungeon will have many floors that will get more difficult as you descend, and each floor will be slightly different each time you enter. Some floors, for example, will restrict the use of magic and there will also be a multitude of bosses waiting for you.

You’ll be able to power up at certain stones in the dungeon, but be careful, these can also be traps. Your progress will be auto-saved at certain floors — and if you die you will be returned to your last save point.

For solo players, The Palace of the Dead will challenge you to see how deep can go with your main Job. In future updates the team will be adding deeper levels to the dungeon and a ranking system for parties and individuals by Job.

The team is also planning different types of content in the future, such as a new Treasure Map dungeon that will arrive in Patch 3.3. More information about Patch 3.3 will be revealed at the next Letter from the Producer Live, which will air on Friday, April 29th at 12:00am Pacific Daylight Time.

hikazekero and Jinzuku like this.
  2. racooperii

racooperii Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I've only written suggestions for this idea on this site for 3 years...let's hope it's better than incursions

Fybrile likes this.
  3. Jinzuku

Jinzuku Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

Server:
    Phoenix
    I just finished watching the panel at PAX East where this was revealed and I'm currently not sure what to think about it.

Pretty much everything about it sounds awesome BUT it has it's own level system so you start at level 1. I'm sure this is to avoid people using it as their sole way of leveling but I guess that's what I would have wanted it for.

Outside of that I'm not sure what purpose it serves as it seems completely independent from the main game. Unless it rewards gear that is actually viable.

Maybe I'm just not understanding it or I'm simply not the demographic the content is aimed at.

With all that said, I am glad they are trying to branch into other features of the game. Hopefully this will be more successful than their other attempts.

GeekMatt and racooperii like this.
  4. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Masamune
    I couldn't possibly be less enthralled over yet more side content.

racooperii likes this.
  5. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    While I like the idea of a Horde Mode(That's what it is in all truth) and the game needs some soloable content, I just don't think that it's going to be much use outside the first two weeks.

Starting over at level 1 killed any interest I had already, as I've been level 1 and gotten up to 30 on every Job...REALLY don't want to do that again.

Rewards will probably be about the same as Diadem, which is to say easily dismissable.

Once people do it enough they'll go back to grinding the same 2 dungeons for Lore and Eso and never look back like most of the other game content. I'm sure some people will love it and exclusively play it, but it doesn't sound like it's an alternative to the extremely linear progression system they've been running fir the last 3 years.

I'm sure if they had a proper Dev team this game could be amazing, as it is and as it appears to be continuing is simply slightly above average in an already over saturated genre. To me at least.

Jinzuku likes this.
  6. praysolace

praysolace Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Waaaaait wait wait wait. I thought it would just have independent levels like PVP ranks, not actual "you get X skill at Y level" levels. If they're shoving us back to "keep mashing one button" level I am out, forget that crap. Soloing a gauntlet dungeon as a level 60 with all of my abilities is a test of skill; soloing a gauntlet dungeon as a level 1 with absolutely nothing is a test of mashing a single button and hoping they set the difficulty at a point where it's physically possible to progress.

7. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I could be wrong but that's what I took from it.

I've already paid for a sub I didn't use last month lol and this isn't making me anymore likely to login again

8. praysolace

praysolace Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    If that's legitimately the design choice they made, they've not just shot it in the foot, they've disemboweled it. I thought the idea of doing a gauntlet with some guildies or by myself would be fun, but only if I'm in there using all my skills and trying to push myself. If I am literally standing in there butt naked pressing Heavy Swing every 2.5 seconds I will be out of there like lightning and I am hardly the only one. I don't think ANYONE would play that.

racooperii likes this.
  9. This reminds me of Salvage which ruined FFXI for a lot of people.

10. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I honestly don't remember Salvage.

Also, is it just me or did calling it the Deep Dungeon remind anyone else of the Darkest Dungeon(Phenomenal game by the way, and extremely difficult)