Guide The Guide Bounties Board

Discussion in 'Guide Discussion' started by Fybrile, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Kylie

Kylie Bounty Hunter III

Server:
    Brynhildr
    My ultimate PvP guide would be this. = DTFO!

XD

2. HellsWrath

HellsWrath New Member

Server:
    Exodus
    Honestly, I'm still too new and low-level to be able to write any of these, as I have only been playing for ~2.5 months. However, as a long-time MMO vet/community member and prior guide writer, I wanted to stop and say thanks for an awesome idea with your bounty system. While writing guides can be it's own reward, it's rare to see ANY actual rewards being given to good guide writers.

To those offering rewards, those running the site, and especially those writing good guides:

Thanks!

3. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Cactaur
    Hey @HellsWrath , thanks very much for taking the time to drop in and post this. It is really, very much appreciated. You might have just singlehandedly ensured that we offer these Bounties for at least one more month because of your post, so thank you!

4. Kylie

Kylie Bounty Hunter III

Server:
    Brynhildr
    My ultimate minion guide was due last month, I'm working on it slow and sure.

I just have had a lot of stuff going on right now, My FC, My own progress in-game. IRL stuff that god Just ended but isn't actually over...
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 27, 2015 ---
    But do look forward to the guide for it will cover EVERY SINGLE MINION IN THE GAME TO THIS VERY DAY!

5. Ivy

Ivy Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    I finished my mount guide finally. Sorry about the delay! I hope it's enough, since I believe a short summary of each is plenty.

JMATAWWCL, Caimie Tsukino and Fybrile like this.
  6. Kylie

Kylie Bounty Hunter III

Server:
    Brynhildr

7. wildbillhdmax01

wildbillhdmax01 Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Mateus
    I know this is the last day, but wasn't sure if I was going to be able to do it or not. But If I can I would like to sign up for Heavensward Dungeon Guide. I would also like to sign up for Heavensward Leveling Guide (Level 50-60), but what exactly are looking for in this? Is this just to tell how to lvl up to 60?

JMATAWWCL, Fybrile and GeekMatt like this.
  8. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Cactaur
    Yes, pretty much. What are the best practices / fastest way(s) for leveling from 50 to 60?

9. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Cactaur
    The Bounties offered have been updated.

Jinzuku likes this.
  10. Kylie

Kylie Bounty Hunter III

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I wish to sign up for the following.
    4. A Creating Your Own Free Company Guide
    And also, please give more detail on the ultimate paladin job guide. What do you wan't and expect?
    3. An Ultimate Paladin Guide (lvl 1-60)

A note on the bounties....
    Don't hate me please (open)
    I truly feel that the PvP guide and Airship guide should be 2*
    PvP is an oddity and has a lot to cover and talk about and especially if you want strategies too that sounds like a lot of work for just a 1*
    The FC Airship guide, I also think should be a 2* due to how rare and unknown Airship stuff is and how much there is to do with them, Unless you just wan't to find out like what you can get from the airship ventures.. Then that seems more tame.

Finally, I have to wonder with a large community here casual and relaxed do you really think a Savage Alexander guide is NOT worth the 3* ?!
    In a way I understand if people wan't it there's already guides and info but at the same time the realm want's ORIGINAL CONTENT right? How do you expect someone to do that kind of hell for a 2* ? I don't mean to be rude but I think It's well worth a 3*

JMATAWWCL likes this.
  11. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Cactaur
    Thanks for signing up for another Guide, Kylie!

As for the Paladin Guide, a good list would include just about everything: Intro. Skills breakdowns. Min/Maxing. Different tanking rotations. Melding. Gear. Stats. Accessing the job. Leveling. Macros, etc. etc.

A response to your note....
    Typically Lengthy (open)
    Once again you're mistaking this whole pet project of mine as monetizing the work people do on Guides, instead of the way it's intended - as giving a little bit of recognition, thanks, and a way to identify some Guides we could use in our library.

Think of it like this: the work someone potentially could do on a 1-Star bounty like "Start your own FC" and the work someone could put into a 3-Star Bounty like "Ultimate Bard Guide" could frankly be equal, depending on the level of depth the writer wants to get into. Caimie's gathering guide is a good example. The amount of time and attention that went into that Guide surmounts 90% of the Guides in our library. For it, she received only a 1-Star Bounty. It's impossible to either predict or arbitrarily prescribe how much time, effort and/or research a Guide writer will put into their Guide - regardless of its perceived level of difficulty. I could not predict that someone as dedicated to detail as Caimie would write a gathering guide. On the flip side, writers could also potentially copy and paste a huge Guide they wrote in the past and publish it here for a 3-Star bounty with less than 5 minutes of work. Trying to pay writers for their effort will inevitably devolve into a petty bitchfest. That's why I don't even try to divide bounties by their perceived level of difficulty. It's all just guesswork, and 9 times out of 10 I'm going to be wrong.

Instead, Guides are allocated as 1, 2 and 3 stars based upon - in order - random whimsy, my personal interest, relevancy at the current moment in time in the game's lifespan, and filling gaps in our existing library. For example, last month PvP was featured as a 2-Star Guide because everyone was getting into frontlines to grind esoterics. Alas, no one signed up for it, and Heavensward got 1 month older with tons of players experiencing Frontlines for their esoteric farming dozens of times ad nauseum. Add on top of that that FFXIV players aren't exactly notorious for being super hardcore into PvP either. That's what makes it a 1-Star Guide this month. If no one signs up for it, and a lot of threads pop up around the Realm about "How do I PvP better?", maybe it goes all the way up to a 3-Star Guide. You're trying to see rhyme and reason within a list where I have done my best to remove as much of it as I can.

We definitely want and need a really good PvP guide here at the Realm. We want all the Guides here at the Realm. But we're not going to pay for them all. So, for PvP or FC Airships or Alex Savage, this month the focus is elsewhere. The topic of conversation around the Realm has been elsewhere. The focus of the game is elsewhere. My personal focus is elsewhere, and that's an important point: Keep in mind, this is an open board. If you think the PvP guide should be a 2-Star Guide, what's stopping you from offering it as your own 2-Star Guide? It just takes $10 or less to do that. From the beginning, we'd hoped more people would offer 1, 2, 3 star bounties, so the list grows, and the number of writers receiving recognition grows as well. Don't like an entry? Create your own!

On the otherhand, if you want to write a PvP Guide but are deterred because it's only 1-Star right now, then I just have 2 things to say: A) How much are you getting from the other sites you post your Guide on? B) If you won't do something without a reward, you're not the type of writer we're looking for. This is a free site. The content is free and open for everyone. For a site like ours to grow, we need members that want to add to the content as much as they receive from it.

At the end of the day, this program is just me spending my money on hopefully creating something fun and interesting here at the Realm, something that gives people a little bit more pride in their work and say "Hey, I got a prize for this!" like a Kinder Surprise. It's not a salary or a reimbursement. And, the very moment it appears that people think of it as such, or that this is owed to them is the moment I put the credit card away and stop offering them. As the Disclaimer says, it's supposed to be fun. Don't take it too seriously. And, I think most people get that.

TL;DR: If you don't like something about the list, we encourage you and will support you in offering your own Bounties!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    joshua david, Kylie and Jinzuku like this.
  12. Nickolars

Nickolars New Member

Server:
    Phoenix
    I, personally, think that the guide bounties are a fantastic idea.

I'm just trying to work out something that has not already been written that I can do that I have enough confidence in to write a guide myself.

This is my first proper mmo but I have been playing for nine months and one of the higher ranking members in my FC. I have a good understanding of the game but still don't know what best to write a guide on

13. FreiS

FreiS New Member

Server:
    Moogle
    I hope someone takes up the task of that ultimate fishing guide. It'd be really appreciated by this one, at the very least ^^.

14. wildbillhdmax01

wildbillhdmax01 Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Mateus
    I'm not going to be able to do the guides I signed up for... I'm sorry, but something has come up in life and it seems like things are getting worse then better. I put off the guide for some time hoping i might be able to do, but i just can't. I even quit FFXIV about week or 2 ago. For anyone who even really cared I'm sorry. Good bye.

15. Caimie Tsukino

Caimie Tsukino Realm Scribe

Server:
    Zalera
    It's unfortunate to see you go. Hope things work out for you soon! Good luck!

wildbillhdmax01 likes this.
  16. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Cactaur
    I cared. I hope things improve IRL for you WildBill! Sending you best wishes for good luck!

wildbillhdmax01 and Jinzuku like this.
  17. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Cactaur
    **Important Notice**

Aside from the current sign-ups, putting new sign ups on hold for a few days, as we will be mixing things up this month, and I'm away on vacation and can't make the needed edits. I will post immediately when we are accepting new sign ups.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

18. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Cactaur
    Hello Everyone,

I'm happy to announce that the Guide Bounties board will officially be closed as of this post. "Happy?", you say? Yes, extremely happy! Because these Bounties were so successful, we think it would be a great idea to open up MORE Bounties all across the Realm to include Guides, of course, but a whole lot of other ways to recognize contributions around the site! Because of this, with the upcoming FFXIVRealm 2.1 Update (about which you can read more HERE) we will be REOPENING BOUNTIES ALL ACROSS THE REALM!!!

The whole team would like to sincerely thank each of our amazing Bounty Hunters who contributed their awesome Guides to the Realm over the past few months. Please rest assured that more Bounties for Guides will be available when we relaunch the Bounties as Realm Bounties with the 2.1 Update!

From the entire team here,

Thank-you!~