The Forbidden Land of Eureka

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Choochoobo, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Choochoobo

Choochoobo Crystal Brave

Server:
    Leviathan
    I figured it'd be nice to have a "megathread" for Eureka.

I ended February getting all my battle jobs to 70 thus I'm prepared for Eureka! My guess is there will be another live letter giving more information, as with being twelve days away, I still feel like we have a very vague description of what Eureka even is. There's been a lot of speculation on the reddit of Eureka being pretty lore heavy- being the
    Show Spoiler
    lost Isle of Val and the home of the Students of Baldesion
    All speculation of course.

What does everybody think Eureka is going to be like? What jobs will you be grinding towards?

Caimie Tsukino likes this.
  2. Choochoobo

Choochoobo Crystal Brave

Server:
    Leviathan
    Update: wow, Eureka sure is... something.

:heh:

3. Caimie Tsukino

Caimie Tsukino Realm Scribe

Server:
    Zalera
    So here's what I know about Eureka so far.

(1) It's a grind-fest alright! It's an absolute time sink. And it's VERY BORING, especially between level 1 to 5. It is NOT an effective way of getting high level gear. Personally, I feel that it's more about glamour.

(2) Your magi board of elemental aspects can be turned by clicking the middle of it any time any where. If you continuously turn it, it won't consume anything. But if you settle down on a position after turning, it consumes 1 Magi Aether (MA). You have 5 MA, so you can turn it up to 5 times while you're out in the wilds. To replenish the MA, simply go back to the base.

(3) So the rate of Protean Crystal drop in Eureka at level 1-5 is around 15 crystals/hour. You need about 1300 crystals to obtain the +2 weapon. At this slow rate, you need to play 1300/15 = 87 hours. If you grind Eureka 3 hours a day, it will take about 29 days... basically a month. Luckily, this crystal acquisition rate actually only applies to level 1-5 though. Once you are at level 5, you should explore further, and start doing FATEs. FATEs drop Anemos Crystals, and each Anemos Crystal can be exchanged into 2-5 Protean Crystals. Thus, it greatly enhances your rate of collection. Therefore, the real limiting factor is actually "leveling". The grind is all about leveling up. Once you leveled up higher and do FATEs, the Protean Crystal collection rate will be much faster.

(4) This game takes teamwork. You need to have a good tank, a competent healer, and a bunch of DPS who cannot just think for themselves. The mobs in Eureka are quite annoying... For instance, some monsters will cast very harmful tank busters, others will cast wide area AoE that targets tank, healers or DPS. To avoid these problems, melee DPS or other tanks should help the MT with stuns (leg sweep, low blow, shield bash etc.). Also, a Bard/Mch is pretty much needed if your MT is a WAR like myself. Since this is a continuous grind of mobs, you WILL run out of TP. If you're a PLD, you will run out of MP. Healer will also run out of MP. Thus, Refresh and Tactician from Brd/Mch is NECESSARY. As you can see, DPS's will play important roles in helping out the party.

(5) Towards the north of our base, there's another aetheryte, and an NPC near there will grant you some EXP buffs. So once you reached the level to get pass the mobs to reach there, do it.

(6) If you're level 6 or above, and if you die, you have a limited amount of time to be revived before you will lose EXP. So be more careful about dying, and make sure you have more than just a single healer who can raise... bring a RDM or SMN with you if you don't have two healers.

(7) We anticipate that the amount of Protean Crystals needed for the upgrades will NOT be nerfed within 1 or 2 patches. But we do expect a nerf to happen in a year or two. So we think if you hold on to the Protean Crystals without upgrading your gear, after a year or two, you will be able to upgrade TWICE as many gear after they nerf the amount required. It will greatly delay you from getting the upgrades, but you can achieve twice as much by doing the same amount of work.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Choochoobo likes this.
  4. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I only just hit level 5 but I have about 160+ protean crystals. You can farm them pretty well if you're chain pulling to 30 (it's max pull number) , and doing regular NM FATEs.

5. Caimie Tsukino

Server:
    Zalera
    Reposting from Facebook:

Ricky Morris:

Eureka Tips and Tricks.
    I'm seeing a lot of misinformation and general lack of knowledge on how things work, so here are some tips to help you through the Eureka experience. Hopefully with this information we can see less people complain about the 2+ hours it took them to hit level 2.

1. Do not waste your time killing enemies that someone else has claimed, you will get very little experience. You can use these enemies to keep your chain going if need be.
    2. Do not waste your time killing enemies lower then your level, you will get very little experience, and they do not chain.
    3. If you are soloing kill enemies that are your level, you will be able to chain and get decent experience.
    4. Soloing sucks, get a party together and kill enemies that are 4+ levels higher then you. Personally I aim for 5 or 6 levels higher. This will net you good experience and good chains.
    5. Drop everything you're doing to go fight the NM's that spawn, they give a great deal of experience.
    6. Try not to bring adds into an NM fight. If there are adds kill them. If more are pulled kill them. If possible pull the NM to a location away from other mobs.
    7. NM's are spawned by killing specific other mobs, cactuars spawn the Cactuar, bears spawn the Bear, etc. If you want to help spawn NM's just shout to find out what people are working on.
    8. Spawning an NM does not "reset" the progress of other NMs.
    9. Every chain 30 is a g̶u̶a̶r̶a̶n̶t̶e̶e̶d protean crystal drop. Getting reports now that it just increases drop rate. Personally I've always received one on the 30th chain.
    10. You get another magicite at 3, 5, 13, ?? (I have not gotten to 13 yet so I don't know the next one.) Make sure you are doing your quests at those levels to become stronger.
    11. Magicite is used to strengthen your defense or attack power, if the mobs are killing you put it in the appropriate slot to increase defense, if you are a DPS, put it in the appropriate slot to deal more damage.
    12. Once you reach level 6, if you die you lose experience but you cannot delevel. If you are raised you do not lose experience. You can safely let mobs kill you to return to town under 5. Use this to quickly get back and pick up quests.
    13. Once you reach level 11, if you die you lose experience, and if your experience falls below 0 you will delevel. If you are raised you do not lose experience.
    14. You can turn in your Anemos crystals for 2-5 protean crystals, doing this is personal preference.
    15. You can change your elemental affinity in the field AND in combat, you get 5 charges to do so, and your charges slowly regenerate or can be refilled at the Magia Melder.
    16. Don't forget about Return, it brings you back to town, but it is on a 15 minute cooldown.
    17. You cannot attune to the other two aetherytes until you are level 9. Scouting the map is encouraged, but not necessary until then.
    18. You can power level your friends. Level 1's get a great deal of exp from level 7 mobs, but they do not get any from level 9 mobs. We did not test level 8. You can easily get your low level friends to 4 by killing the crickets near the shack.
    19. A fairy will spawn periodically around the map for a short time. During this time she will cast an AOE buff on players near her. There are two buffs you get, one increases the exp you get from normal mobs, but not NMs. The second increases your damage output and gives you a healing over time effect. Both buffs last for 1 hour and persist through death. Be careful, you can "click off" the damage/hots buff, but you cannot click off the experience buff. The fairy also does not refresh the buff timers. I'll manually click off my damage buff if there is a nearby fairy to refresh it though.
    20. If you are dead you can still receive rewards from your team killing mobs, to include exp, crystals, minions, etc.
    21. Have fun.
    22. ???
    23. Profit

This is obviously not an extensive list, just based off things I've seen on Facebook and in game. Feel free to add tips to the comments and I can add them to the main post.

Choochoobo likes this.
  6. Caimie Tsukino

Server:
    Zalera
    Confluence locations:
    For level 3 quest: 13.8, 20.2
    For level 5 quest: 24.3, 23.1
    For level 13 quest: 20.6, 13.9
    For level 17 quest: 32.7, 18.9, next go to 25.5, 16.1 with 99 anemos crystals.

Notorious Monster spawning:
    snowing = mind flayers
    gale = sabo

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  7. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    There's gotta be more to it, or it's bugged. 2 days ago me and a friend were level 4 and helped out level 1s by spam-killing level 4-7 enemies. The exp gained by me and my friend was brutally low, but more importantly; killing those level 7 crickets gave us 0 exp and we were the only group doing it.

We did get the 1s up to level 3 quickly though.

8. Choochoobo

Choochoobo Crystal Brave

Server:
    Leviathan
    I've found that having a BRD or MCH is really nice to have as well; BRD's in particular just need to watch out for their Foe pulling in more mobs. I haven't noticed DRK or PLD having MP/TP issue but WAR's definitely have TP, so they're probably not the best to bring.

My thoughts to add to the overall thread: Essentially what my friends and I have gotten into the habit of doing is when entering an instance always ask if Bears or Numbers has spawned recently. By doing this you're seeing where the NM grinders are at in their rotation. It's really important you're in an instance where there is a big group grinding mobs to pop NM otherwise they just won't pop at an efficient rate. Depending on your level of course, if the NM grinders aren't near bears in their rotation- go kill bears. If they're at bears or the Pneumaflayers, go to the turtles right next door. Or even the Leshys. The reason you do this is because if you join in on the NM grinding you won't be maximizing your DPS as many people will be there hitting your mobs and that will devalue your exp gained.

Now, how do I win at Eureka? Focus on getting your main job's weapon by grinding mobs and turning Anemos Crystals in for Protean. The only time you'll be using Anemos Crystals for relics are for the i350 gear which we don't even have confirmed if there's going to be another step for the armor. After that, just grind gear for alt jobs.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  9. Caimie Tsukino

Server:
    Zalera
    Yep, so this entire Eureka game is all about chasing down the NMs. It's basically a zerg fest.
    You jump into Eureka, you shout "level xx WHM lfg", and then shout "Where is the current location of the NM train please"?
    Then it's zerg fest zerg fest zerg fest...

If your level is too low for a NM, you won't get any Anemos Crystals and Lockboxes from the FATE, but you will still get some good EXP (much better EXP than killing mobs). We power-leveled some level 1 friends to level 3 within 30 min of NM train.

Similar to "hunts", make sure you hit ONCE on the NM to "register", and you will get something out of your party.

It helps when you're level 9, which allows you to attune to the two extra Aetheryte Crystals. This way, you can teleport faster around the map to chase down the FATEs.

At level 17, you can use mounts.

10. Lucius Tinger

Lucius Tinger Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Frikkin.Frakkin,Crakalakin TIME SINK!!! Spent several hours on this just for my power to surge an knock me offline. At least I get to spend more time on this glorious game!! Hooray for optimism!![Only thing keeping me sane.]

11. Caimie Tsukino

Server:
    Zalera
    Information about Pazuzu:
    After you have acquired your +2 weapon, you need 3 feathers from him to perform the next upgrade of your weapon. If you get a Gold rating from fighting the Pazuzu, you immediately get 3 feathers. If you get only a Silver rating, you get 1 to 2 feathers, and you have to do it one more time. Usually it takes at least level 19 to get a Gold rating.

12. Caimie Tsukino

Server:
    Zalera
    Useful Macros from Reddit:

This macro turns off other people's shiny action graphics, so that you can actually see the boss:
    NM Mode
    /bfx party simple
    /bfx other off
    /soundeffectsparty 50
    /soundeffectsother 20

This macro restores the normal setting:
    Normal Mode
    /bfx party all
    /bfx other all
    /soundeffectsparty 100
    /soundeffectsother 100

This macro basically does the same thing as clicking the level sync button when you enters a NM FATE:
    /levelsync on

Turns the magia board left:
    /magialeft

Turns the magia board right:
    /magiaright

13. Choochoobo

Choochoobo Crystal Brave

Server:
    Leviathan
    I need a macro for when I turn in all my lockboxes and Anemos Crystals! I've been too lazy to do it and now I have over two stacks of each.

:cry:

14. Caimie Tsukino

Server:
    Zalera
  15. Caimie Tsukino

Server:
    Zalera

Jinzuku, GeekMatt and Choochoobo like this.
  16. Caimie Tsukino

Server:
    Zalera
    Eureka in a nutshell!!!
    [​IMG]

Choochoobo likes this.
  17. Choochoobo

Choochoobo Crystal Brave

Server:
    Leviathan
    So, update time. How many weapons does everyone have now? I'm not online right now so I can't check but off the top of my head I think I have RDM, BLM, WAR, SCH, AST, WHM, and SAM.

18. Caimie Tsukino

Server:
    Zalera
    Got all 15 by now. Well, the hard part was really just leveling to 20. So the first weapon took long. After that, it's approximately 1 weapon a day.

On top of the weapons, I got full WHM set, PLD chest, NIN chest, WAR pants, RDM hat chest boots... Slowly working on full set for WAR, but really just slacking off these days due to being fed up with Eureka.

Choochoobo likes this.