Tanking Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phalanx, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx New Member

First off, hello everyone I am new to FFxiv. I haven't even played the beta yet but am looking forward to playing Phase 4 and the game on release date. I have been browsing these forums tho and would like some insight on which type of tank I should use. I have tanked in the mmo DC Universe so I'm familiar with the concept of tanking. As for this game I'm wondering which would be best to use between the GLD, PLD, WAR, or MRD. I intend to level each but then sink all my time into mastering which ever is most sought after by the community as far as raids. So is everyone looking for a single target tank or mobbing tank? And which of these classes is best suited for each? I want to be the best tank I can be while still ensuring I have a place in raids. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
  2. Phalanx

Phalanx New Member

Yea I've been looking forward to playing a PLD but then I seen a few posts about ppl preferring the WAR/MRD because of the dmg it's capable of, I'm not really trying to lose my spot in a raid whenever a equally skilled WAR/MRD comes along.
  3. seriousry

seriousry Active Member

in a challenging raid with more than one enemy I'd imagine a good setup would have both WAR and PLD
  4. Orien

Orien Well Known Member

Neither one is going to be inherently better than the other. Pick the one you enjoy the play style of the most and go with it. Both can generate AoE threat and both can sustain ST threat. PLD is a bit more "turtley" and as you have already found out WAR is better offensively.
    Zoot and Clonk like this.
  5. Phalanx

Phalanx New Member

Thanks. One last question: when generate aggro from a single target is possible to switch to a different target grab his aggro then maintain both at the same time or do u lose the first enemies aggro when u switch to another. I'm talking aboug when u use single target enmity abilities. Obviously the aoe abilities will grab whoever it hits.
  6. macey

macey New Member

Yes you can tank like that. Just be sure that the DD's /assist you so they don't draw hate from the one you are not engaging.
  7. Phalanx

Phalanx New Member

Thanks u guys have been a big help. I'll check every class/job for tank abilities that can be used by GLD/PLD, level up to get them then max out my PLD. Looking forward to tanking for y'all in the future.
  8. Phalanx

Phalanx New Member

Thanks for the advice.
    Clonk likes this.
  9. ValinVentas

ValinVentas New Member

I have been a main tank in most mmoz and will be in ARR. Pld will be better with dmg null/shield...and when ninja comes along...plz no blink/shadow tanks...just remember FLASH is ur freind.
  10. Balaur

Balaur Active Member

No Ninjas, no Ninjas. Repeat until you feel it will work.

That said, if they do have Ninjas, they'd better make it so that any type of "shadow" can't be inherited. Ninja-only ability.
  11. macey

macey New Member

LoL, sorry I was a ninja tank on FFXI from the NA launch. I would love to see it again. Was just a cool concept and majorly fun to play. That said, I don't think the current mechanics would lend itself well to Utsusemi tanking.
  12. Balaur

Balaur Active Member

Everyone was a Ninja. Who even needed healers? There's a difference between specialized groups for some content (Burn Parties) and when the group composition for ANY content means you exclude your tank and healer jobs completely. That hurts the game something fierce.
  13. ThadeusStern89

ThadeusStern89 Active Member

Paladin is the way to go. His abilities for end-game raids are amazing. Here's a video illustrating what he can do by MrHappy:

14. Phalanx

Phalanx New Member

Thanks but I watched that like 3 times already lol. I've watched all of mr happy's vids
  15. ThadeusStern89

ThadeusStern89 Active Member

Yeah I figured. He's very informative. Well in that case my personal recommendation would still be Paladin. Consider that if you level GLD you can get some nifty cross-class abilities as well, so in that sense tanks are generally similar except at much higher levels.
  16. Fybrile

Fybrile Moderator

I've found that PLD was better for 1-on-1 tanking. Generally, your DEF is a bit higher, and - when you got your rotation down - no DPS is taking that boss off you no matter how all-out they go. This is your survivability tank. You have about 4 different abilities to mitigate dmg. MRD/WAR, on the other hand, is your trash tank. This job's better at picking up multiple enemies quickly. This is your meat shield tank, as WAR has noticeably more HP than PLD, but fewer ways to mitigate dmg. Both PLD and WAR can heal themselves slightly, so I don't see that being a major differentiator. Hope that helps a bit.
  17. macey

macey New Member

I actually never had a problem holding multiple targets with paladin. Flash is pretty effective when spammed and to maintain you just need to tab to the other targets and land an enmity blow or two. I was about to tank groups while two black mages did AoE spells to kill them all.
  18. Balaur

Balaur Active Member

This method of pulling aggro to you is slow, though, because of the GCD. You need to throw out, every 5 seconds, two movies per target to strip it off another player (usually a healer), per add/mob, whilst at the same time the DPS are peeling enmity from YOU off the boss. There should be better snap aggro skills, even if they have long cooldowns. Sometimes, you need to get the mob back from plastering the THM or CNJ all over the walls.
  19. Fybrile

Fybrile Moderator

ATM, seems to be Enmity Generation Abilities > Heals > Damage, although it seems that the first person to hit the target generates full enimity, and everyone else starts with 0%, having to work their way up the full scale to 100% - which means when a GLD pulls a group of mobs, if the healer's a noob and heals before the tank's touched them all, it'll take a bit of extra effort to peel the mob off him/her.
  20. Balaur

Balaur Active Member

Pull with ranged aggro attack (Shield Lob, Tomahawk), then engage initial enmity rotation; this usually pulls a mob from within a group and allows the puller/tank to establish attack orders. Before this rotation, the healer shouldn't do more than a small Cure to prevent pulling enmity, and the DPS shouldn't start in. After establishing enmity, the DPS get to push in and the healer throws a good heal on the tank.

Tanks should be using defensive cooldowns as well as enmity cooldowns constantly; this helps keep the healer from having to keep trying to cast heals and therefore pull enmity. This is where the tank has the most trouble: Initial engagement requires the tank to focus while the DPS have to hold back. Unless the tank is exceptionally geared (or comparatively better geared than) the DPS can easily outstrip enmity. It is the tank's job to keep the healer alive who, in turn, keeps everyone else alive; while the DPS have the task of taking the boss down as fast as possible, this is also not without caution because the other players must have some security in their jobs. DPS can also serve a secondary support role by dealing with adds in as effective a manner, which is where cross-class defensive skills come in handy, rather than just trying to use DPS WS to "burn the adds down." Unless you're a bunch of Thaumaturges, nuking parties to their ashes is not necessarily the best thing you can do.

Part of the issue of getting into early tanking is that when you start into the early dungeons, you're still in level 15 quest gear. The dungeons cap out in the 20s-24s, so by the time you get in there, every dungeon drop is a big upgrade to you, which is telling you you are inadequately geared. This makes some pulls in Sastasha (after the Coeurl boss especially) harder, because you have groups of 3 or even one 4-pack of mobs to be careful with. Adds on the final boss (Denn the Orca-toothed) are easy for DPS to burn if they don't react to the gates fast enough, but to pull off the healer requires multiple cooldowns. This is where teamwork is absolutely important. I LIKE that in this game. The group gets punished for not working together well enough, or for just going their own thing when in a group.

That said, I've found that tanks do feel a bit cocky trying to be in charge of a run, and not just because they are the point/lead/puller in most cases. There is a sense you get that tanks feel they are the only player that matters (I always thought a good healer holds the party together, but that's just me). We'll see how this attitude shifts in the next phase.