stressed about stropers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nz_chic, Oct 4, 2013.

1. nz_chic

nz_chic Active Member

I have this mission to do 'In too deep' and there are a bunch of stropers there messing with me.
    I noticed that with most other monsters around my level I can get by without being attacked by them. .
    I'm currently level 29 Arcanist and I noticed I can do a normal amount of damage to them before things get worse.
    But every time they cast a huge amount of stop spells on me and I die with 3 attacks as I can't do anything.
    I need a plan of action. .or items or amor as I tend to get picked on by them. .
    Can someone please help me?
    Fybrile and Rinzwind like this.
  2. ilmaestro

ilmaestro Well Known Member

Is Topaz Carbuncle not tanking them successfully? I don't think I did that sidequest so I don't know the details, but you should be able to send him in first and stay at a safe range depending on what the area is like where you fight them.
  3. nz_chic

nz_chic Active Member

Yea topaz seems to to die. . I even try to keep him alive by casting psychic.

Often there are 2 right next to the water i need to collect.
  4. Rinzwind

Rinzwind Member

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    nz_chic likes this.
  5. nz_chic

nz_chic Active Member

They look like malboro.
  6. Rinzwind

Rinzwind Member

I can't find a list of effects they cast :(
    All I found is "numerous" _O-

But the most annoying one to me is Paralyze (it cancels your actions so if 2 are hitting you a caster is in trouble). So Spine Drops!
  7. Balaur

Balaur Active Member

Stropers are a type of monster called a Malboro. They have an ability called Bad Breath and it imposes a series of seven debuffs simultaneously: a heavy, a slow, paralysis, poison, blind, reduced determination, and one other I cannot immediately recall. These buffs come off in three waves. The Malboro (be it called a Stroper, Morbol, or whatever) will not immediately cast this ability, but when it does it has a large range, nearly 180 degrees, but as a caster one can be far enough away to not get hit. Any pet out getting hit will get the full brunt. Healing through the thing in leveling gear is nearly impossible. However, a chocobo with choco regen and cure can help keep itself alive, so having that in addition to Toebunky will likely help tremendously.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
    Maaja, nz_chic and Rinzwind like this.
  8. Grimus

Grimus Well Known Member

Not to sound like a jerk, but the easiest way to to tackle the quests that have you fight some-what difficult monsters like this, is to do it with other people. Whether it be just walking in on somebody in the process of killing one and helping, or just asking someone near to help you take out a few to finish the requirements.
    I remember the quest, but can't remember if killing them was the requirement.. or some sort of perform X action.
    Maaja likes this.
  9. SilentWinter

SilentWinter Member

I did this quest branch not too long ago and I agree with Grimus, I'm pretty sure I did the collect by running in and getting the samples while someone else was distracting/fighting the stropers. Good luck!
  10. FunkTheWorld

FunkTheWorld Member

I never had much problems with them, even as ACN back when I was still planning to main Summoner. Their AoE isn't that hard to dodge really, and they aren't hard to kite at all as ACN with all the dots you get.
  11. cinequoinon

cinequoinon Active Member

Just like they are saying, avoid aoe and profit, and it's of course easier with someone else nearby. If I do remember correctly, I got owned the first time I was doing this quest because I wanted so badly to try my newly acquired Jump that I just went there and jumped right into a bad breath. Oh well, those nice and sweet memories.
  12. fluttersnipe

fluttersnipe Active Member

Oh man those things were owning the s**t out of me for awhioe on my GLA.. I left and did some fated and leves, came back after grinding up a couple levels.
    Grimus likes this.
  13. Grimus

Grimus Well Known Member

This was me with the Spotted Mud Puppy. That thing ruined my life.
  14. JeckylTesla

JeckylTesla Active Member

Tip: Stand as close as possible, dodging the aoe is easier.
  15. nz_chic

nz_chic Active Member

I will definitely try all your ideas today...
    Wilk post an update once I find one that lets me succeed.
  16. Brandon Copeland

Brandon Copeland Active Member

I kited. o_O only way.
  17. Maaja

Maaja Active Member

There was an x action! I remember. You have to use some potion on it or something, that makes the kill much easier. Weakens its defenses, I believe. I remember cause I died a few times trying to get it casted & stay out of aoe... Not before dying a few times trying to kill it without the potion. :eek:

Also, I will sometimes wait around & watch for people working the same monsters. I sometime ask in say or just fight with them when I come across tougher quest battles. There's one at Ceruleum plant (can't remember the correct name) with coblyns that is a bitch. Seems almost impossible alone.
  18. Drumgiant05

Drumgiant05 Member

Or just....avoid the aoe marked by red on the ground?
  19. nz_chic

nz_chic Active Member

Avoiding aoe is harder than it looks as the monster comes towards me interrupting my casting.
    Standing as close as possible hasn't worked as the attacks still hit me even if I'm right under it.
    I changed to Fisher and used stealth it worked for a short time then they started again so I might level up Fisher for stealth 2.

While my key items are Hopeseed Pond water, Blessed water and Leoformic acid.

I think the postion you put on the stropers is a different quest as the quests I have with stropers says collect 3 water samples from Hopeseed Pond nothing about postions.
  20. Kaedan

Kaedan New Member

Topaz Carby should at least live long enough for you to pick up the item by sic-ing him on the guarding mob. o_O