Storage, Retainer, and Chocobo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WebPocket, Aug 20, 2013.

1. WebPocket

WebPocket Newbie

Hi guys. I got a few classes to 20 in the open beta, but I never figured out how to use the storage in the inn(?). I was so full of items from craft classes that I had to sold a few things to NPC for dirt cheap gil. I heard from some people that we need to use retainer to use storage and market.

At which point can we get retainer and chocobo? For my story quest, I accepted a quest to go to tam tara and that is where I stopped.
  2. Sithius

Sithius Active Member

I think you get your retainer around the time you get an airship pass. Then you just go to the retainer NPC near the city market and get one. Chocobo is right after Ifrit, which is level 20.
  3. Kolossus

Kolossus Active Member

Are there certain restrictions on the armoir(I probably butchered that) at the Inn? I clicked it, and selected from Inventory, but I wasn't able to put any of my misc items into it. It was the only thing I wasn't able to figure out during Open Beta.
  4. Yeezy

Yeezy Member

Yeah its restricted to untradable items.
    Just use your retainer for everything else.
  5. ShinSuta

ShinSuta Member

You get the retainer after having done the main story quest up to the 3 first dungeons (that's where I leaved in OB).
    For the chocobo, a friend told me it was after level 20, when you can join the Companies.

The armoire is used to stock unique/untreadable items (like the swinsuit), it's the retainer that let you store others items once you have him. It's the retainer also that lets you put items to the auction house.
    WebPocket likes this.
  6. Cynessae

Cynessae Active Member

Just about everything anyone wants in this game (so far) is unlocked by following the main story quests. You probably don't want to slack off on them. You stopped doing them well before you get your retainer (which happens a few quests after you clear the third dungeon). You couldn't have gotten the quest to get your chocobo in the open beta, as that comes after the Ifrit fight once you join a Grand Company.
    WebPocket likes this.
  7. WebPocket

WebPocket Newbie

Thank you for the clear answer. I know what I need to do now :D
  8. Nehym

Nehym Active Member

While we are on the topic of retainers, i'll chime in with my own interrogation.

It says that we can get a maximum of 2 retainers... Are these from different cities? Can we access them from any city?
    I finished the quest to get them but never got around to actually trying them out in any beta phases... Was too focused on leveling.. :s
  9. Cynessae

Cynessae Active Member

With one retainer (which is all I got last weekend), when you summon them via a bell, it brings up what looks like a list (a list of one, but a list nonetheless). Therefore, I would assume you can call either retainer from any location. Retainers aren't bound to cities, as I summoned a retainer I made in Gridania while I was in Limsa.
  10. Grembo

Grembo Active Member

This is correct, in Phase 3 I hired two retainers one from Gridania and one from Ul'dah and could summon either from Limsa.
  11. ShinSuta

ShinSuta Member

I don't know about it so I 'm asking, does hiring more retainer cost money ?
  12. Grembo

Grembo Active Member

Nope :)
  13. Balaur

Balaur Active Member

Retainer is unlocked once you complete the missions through the first three dungeons. You are tasked with going to see Minfilia in Vesper Bay and recruited into the Scions of the Seventh Dawn. At that point, Minfilia allows you to use two retainers. These are hired at no cost to the player, which means Minfilia is footing the bill for them. Awfully nice of her, dontcha think? After this, you are asked to go to Drybone in the Thanalan, which leads you to the Ifrit fight, and upon completing that you are asked to join one of the three Grand Companies, but must take another world tour and hear the histories of the GCs first, in which you meet Louisoix's twin grandchildren. When that's done, you pick your GC, and your first quest is to save an Airship, then you get to farm seals for a chocobo. At that point, you unlock guildleves and seals from FATEs. Then ... it's just a matter of rising in the ranks.
    Hulvein Blitz and Grembo like this.