Guide So You Think You Can Craft

Discussion in 'Guide Discussion' started by Caimie Tsukino, Jan 17, 2015.

?

Be honest, how many questions did you get it right? (if all options are correct, it counts as right)

1. None. I have no idea what this crafting thing is about anyway. Can't even understand what you typed.

8.3%
  2. 1 to 4

8.3%
  3. 5 to 6

16.7%
  4. 7 to 8

16.7%
  5. 9 to 10

50.0%
  1. Hermes

Hermes Scion

Condition modifies the impact of your next touch. It also rules whether or not you can use certain support skills to further or benefit your current rotation.

It's a good idea to watch the condition for when it goes "good" or "excellent" and decide if you can use this effectively (which depends on where you are in your rotation!!)

Lord Tristem likes this.
  2. Lord Tristem

Lord Tristem Crystal Brave

Server:
    Lamia
    Okay... Now I'm even more confused.

3. Hermes

Hermes Scion

When you start to play with making HQ items, this will make more sense. When you start any (or all) crafting that requires improving the quality... You start with inner quiet. Every time you successfully touch the item to improve the quality, your IQ stacks increase... This effectively starts to make each touch more and more potent. However, if you get a "good" or "excellent" condition, it multiplies with the touch strength, and has a greater effect.

Otherwise, there are skills that you can only activate with a "good" condition, like Tricks of the Trade, in exchange for passing up the chance to use the Good for a touch, you use the Good for a Tricks, and gain back 20 CP... This can be HUGE (!!!) if you use it well,... Or really really dumb if you abuse too much. There are times when I use this if it comes up in my rotation... Especially after my initial inner quiet, or after my steady hand falls off.

If that confuses you, you are not ready for this thread yet... Which is totally legit, and don't worry it will all make sense after you've had more experience crafting up your skills. Work on getting HQ 40 durability itens at or below your crafting level to practice!!!!

Here's a working example:

Start...
    Inner quiet
    If Good... Tricks of the trade
    Steady hand
    Waste not
    If good touch, if not hasty touch; repeat x4
    (Steady and waste fall off)
    If good, tricks
    Touch
    If good, tricks
    [durability now 10]
    ... You will likely need to increase the durability now with manipulation (etc)
    And I'll leave it to you to figure out how to close off this craft, as homework...
    Generally, I use manipulation, then waste not, and boost up my quality before converting all of my IQ stacks into more CP to then finish off actually making the item!!

Good luck!

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    Jinzuku and Lord Tristem like this.
  4. Caimie Tsukino

Caimie Tsukino Realm Scribe

Server:
    Zalera
    Here, Tristem, i copied out a chapter from my guide. Hope this help! :)

Ch11: Crafting Conditions

During crafting, you will encounter different "crafting conditions". There are 4 types of conditions:
    1) Normal
    2) Good
    3) Excellent
    4) Poor
    Conditions have nothing to do with synthesis (i.e. progress), and has everything to do with touches (i.e. quality). These are basics, so please visit some basic crafting guides if you need help. Good conditions pops up at about 1/4 chance (which feels like 1/6). Excellent pops up at about 1/20 chance.

Rules of Thumb for Conditions:

Conditions Rule 1 - After a Good condition, it's always followed by a Normal condition.

Conditions Rule 2 - After an Excellent, it's always followed by a Poor, and then a Normal.

Conditions Rule 3 - A touch at a Good condition adds extra 50% CURRENT QUALITY. Innovation, in contrast, adds extra 50% BASE CONTROL. When Inner Quiet (IQ) is 1, they are almost identical. However, when IQ is more than 1, Good condition will always give a higher bonus. Therefore, if you're about to use Innov before a touch but encounters a Good condition, skip the Innov. Even if you plan to have Ingen II after Innov to further buff your Byregot, the bonus coming from a Good condition is still better, provided that the IQ stack is high (like 6 or above). Therefore, usually, Good > Innov + Ingen II.

Conditions Rule 4 - A touch at an Excellent condition gives 4x quality of that from a touch at Normal condition. Therefore, if you're about to use any kind of buff before a touch or a Byregot, even if it's Great Strides or Ingen II, skip it. Do your Byregot first, then use your Ingen II afterward if necessary.

Conditions Rule 5 - A Basic Touch under Good condition (150% efficiency) is more powerful than a Standard Touch under Normal condition (125% efficiency). Therefore, in some situations, it is better to not take a Trick of the Trade, but use the Good condition for a touch if you're not in desperate need of CP.

Lord Tristem likes this.
  5. Lord Tristem

Lord Tristem Crystal Brave

Server:
    Lamia
    Oh I think i get it now the condition determines how much a touch improves the items quality. Is that it?

Caimie Tsukino likes this.
  6. ilmaestro

ilmaestro Crystal Brave

Yes, with the other key point being that the l.15 ALC cross class skill "Tricks of the Trade" procs on "Good" conditions.

Caimie Tsukino and Hermes like this.
: Crafting, Caimie