Realm News Site Outtages

Discussion in 'The Realm Noticeboard' started by Fybrile, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Tonberry
    We are getting reports that people are having difficulty accessing the site, and are currently looking into resolving the issue. Reportedly, the site is easier to access on mobile devices. If you are experiencing, or have recently experienced, any troubles getting the page to load or are receiving a message that the IP address cannot be found, please do me a favor and reply to this thread with the country you are trying to access FFXIVRealm from, as well as the browser you're using.

Sincerest apologies for the inconvenience.

~Admin

2. Jinzuku

Jinzuku Vice Administrator

Server:
    Phoenix
    Hey @Fybrile I had issues trying to access the site at work. I am in the UK and using Chrome.

Oddly enough I'm trying it now at home and still using Chrome and it's working fine.

3. Redemption

Redemption Administrator

Jinzuku - what is the nature of the problems at work? Does the site feel slow, intermittently refuse to respond, or give error messages? If there are errors or some visual problem can you post a screenshot? Is it happening sometimes, all the time, or only infrequently?

When you have problems at work on Chrome, does another browser like Firefox or IE work or is it the same problem with all browsers?

Do you have any similar problems accessing other game sites like IGN, Gamespot, Kotaku at work? We've had a rash of reports elsewhere with work firewalls blocking gaming sites, but if that's happening you'll be outright unable to reach FFXIVRealm or any of the common gaming sites at all (rather than it being intermittent).

4. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    When I'm at work the site will not load at all and this happens consistently. I will try to get a screenshot home so I can post the error message. I don't have any other problems with out sites unless they are outright blocked by the security policy. However, as I was previously able to access the site before these issues started I don't think it's being blocked. I will also test other browsers when I'm back in on Monday.

5. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Tonberry
    It would all just be speculation at this point, since there's so little to go on, but it seems that one commonality between you and Caimie is the site being blocked when accessed from places with potentially sensitive firewalls. There are a bunch of reasons these could be triggered, from the fact it's not an https website, to ads, to something wrong with the site itself, to being particularly singled out and manually blocked. We'd just be guessing, so there's not much we can do besides running diagnostic tests. I can say there's nothing popping up in the error logs that would suggest a reason why you might be being blocked.

In order to narrow it down, I'd appreciate it if you could switch the style of the site from FFXIVRealm 2.1 to "Legacy" and then try it at work. Then, if it works at your work, switch back to 2.1 and see if it works. If it doesn't that'd really narrow down our issue. If you're still experiencing the problem, please purge your cache, reload the site, and try accessing it from somewhere besides the main landing page (such as www.ffxivrealm.com/guides/). Last, try accessing the site via Edge.

If none of these results your connection issue, at least we will have moved past the 3 most likely culprits.

6. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    I tried again at work and have attached the screenshot of my error. I also tried on Edge and to no luck.

Normally my bookmark for The Realm is set to the New Posts rather than the main page.

I will try your style suggestion and let you know.

Attached Files:

7. Redemption

Redemption Administrator

That screenshot is very valuable, thanks! It says that there's a name resolution failure. Looking more closely using a validator I think the FFXIVrealm's listed nameservers were changed by our host a few years ago but we weren't asked to formally change that on our domain, causing the domain to list 2 outdated nameservers.

I'm not sure why we can still access the site properly but I changed the nameserver settings just now. It might take up to 48hrs for your work DNS servers to update but I suspect this will fix it for you, and maybe for others as well.

Jinzuku likes this.
  8. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I hadn't been able to log on for like a month or so lol

GeekMatt - "unable to obtain IP" or something, using google chrome on my android phone. I'm in Toronto and it happened even when I was on my WiFi.

I think it was also an issue on my iPad using chrome and Safari

Edit: actually it was more than a month, but when I visited @PrincessNewb in Illinois (to propose to her ;D) I was able to access the site with her WiFi on my phone

Jinzuku likes this.
  9. Redemption

Redemption Administrator

Is this still happening to you today? Let me know if it still happening tomorrow or the day after. The Nameserver changes can sometimes take a few days to be respected.

10. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    No, I literally couldn't access the site ever and now I can

11. Redemption

Redemption Administrator

It sounds like the Nameserver was definitely problem, how long ago did you first start having the problem? I suspect that the old Nameserver was working "as expected" until these problems started to crop up.

Can you check on all devices where you had problems before (on WiFi, 3G, whatever) and report if they all work now?

12. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    I'm currently at work and the website is working fine. Thanks for the fix @Redemption

13. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    Yep i also have not been able to get on for sometime here.
    @GeekMatt, not sure the outcome on your proposal but congrats :)

GeekMatt likes this.
  14. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    It was a mess, she cried, I panicked and put the ring in the wrong finger, but ultimately we got engaged! :haha:

Choochoobo and Jinzuku like this.
  15. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    Smooth
    :funnyguy:

16. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    lol, well congrats Matt :D