Screen Tearing

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Skylock, May 29, 2016.

1. Skylock

Skylock Crystal Brave

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    I'm not the most tech savvy person when it comes to computers and game settings. I have a PC, I know it does things to make the game play... but that's about it. :p

Have you ever experienced much screen tearing in game? If so, what setting would you adjust to fix it? Is there an in-game setting, or would it be something to do with my actual graphics card?

I've tried messing around with the System Configuration settings in game, but no matter what I do (turning settings real low), I still experience it. I usually encounter it mostly in the open world, not while in dungeons or trials.

Alienware 17 Laptop
    Windows 10 (Also experienced on 8.1)
    Processor: Intel (R) Core(TM) i7-4710MQ CPU @2.50GHz
    Memory: 16GB
    Intel HD Graphics 4600
    Current Resolution: 1920 x 1080 (32-bit)

Thanks!

2. Basket Case

Basket Case Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I am guessing that being an Alienware 17 you actually have 2 video cards, the intel HD graphics you list is what it uses when your doing windows stuff, but it has a more powerful card for when your playing games (like an Nvidia 960M). The best thing you can do to fix screen tearing is to go to your system configuration and at the bottom of the display settings is a section called "Frame Rate Limit" set it to a lower setting then its currently at. So if its set for None, set it to 60, if its at 60 set it for 30 and so on. Basicly the screen tearing is happening because the video card is trying to draw the screen faster than your monitor can respond.

Jinzuku likes this.
  3. Skylock

Skylock Crystal Brave

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    I remember looking at those settings and it is definitely set to "None" right now. I'll try that tonight when I get home from work.

Thank you! :)

4. Skylock

Skylock Crystal Brave

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    I forgot to follow up.

This worked! Thanks again.