DPS Red Mage - Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Disciples of Magic' started by Zheri, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Zheri

Zheri Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    After watching Mr. Happy's and Verri Merri's YouTube videos and spending a couple hours on Tylian Foxfire's rotation simulator I'm pretty hyped about the job and it will likely be my main come Friday. Thematically, I think they hit as close to home as they could within the confines of the combat system. While not a true-to-roots jack of all trades and master of none, it's got both Black and White magic along with melee attacks and a limited ability to heal. (Bonus, the AF armor is totally badass.) The Dualcast mechanic gives the rotation a very rhythmic feel while the Stone/Fire procs keep it from being overly procedural. You're definitely a caster, but not a turret. It's not without its issues though.

First and foremost in my mind is button bloat. The base rotation is 6 buttons. The melee combo is effectively 5. Add to that Holy, Flare, and 2 OGCDs for a 15 button full rotation. 4 mandatory CDs, 2 AoE abilities, Cure, Sprint, and 4 more X-Roles make unwieldy 27 buttons to play the job to its full potential. It's not the most I've ever had on a main, (That honor goes to the exceedingly complex Lethality Operative in SWTOR 2.x. at 36ish.) but it does almost necessitate the use of a MMO mouse on PC and I'm not sure how I'm going to fit everything onto the PS4 XHB yet.

So, what could be done to alleviate some of this? First, Impact feels, well, not impactful. It's nothing more than an extra button that performs the same function as Jolt and as such is not necessary. Also, the 2 OGCDs are just kind of there. Dualcast opened up space for this to be a major theme of the job, similar to ARR Bard. Instead, they chose to only dip their toe in those waters and the result is uninteresting. Axing those 3 brings the full rotation down to a more manageable 12 abilities. The last thing I would change is the melee combo. It's 3 buttons that you will always, without fail, press in the same exact order every single time. It could be condensed into 1 button by changing Zwerchhau and Redoublement from weaponskills into traits that upgrade Riposte, trimming another 2 buttons for a more manageable 10 in the main rotation and 22 total.

My other concern is far more minor, and that is MP management. As it stands with all available info, we will have to use Lucid Dreaming more or less on cooldown for the Refresh in order to not run out. Why not, instead, give Redoublement a weaker Refresh and just remove or replace Lucid Dreaming as a caster X-Role? Black Mage has Umbral Ice and Summoner has Aetherflow for their MP, plus there's another threat reduction already in the pool. The ability just seems superfluous other than RDM's MP regeneration. Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly functional as-is. I just think it would make more sense as something internal to the job and further stress the importance of the melee combo.

Overall, the job feels well done with impressive visuals and an interesting easy to learn, hard to master rotation. Despite the issues I have with it, I'm excited for Friday and can't wait to try it out for real.

Choochoobo and Caimie Tsukino like this.
  2. racooperii

racooperii Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I think Impact could just be an upgraded Jolt that replaces Jolt upon Proc. It's I think the same MP and Cast time but more Mana generation and Damage, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to transform Jolt during Proc.

I'm hoping MP management is like the Simulation, if it is there shouldn't be any problem so long as the player in question uses Lucid Dream and gets to the Enchanted Melee Combo as often as possible. Or, what could be neat is instead of procing a native Refresh at some point, maybe instead at 80/80 or 100/100 Mana you could burn it all for an MP recharge for X%. But in long fights of attrition I could see it being an issue(Especially if combat Rezing is required for whatever reason.).

3. Zheri

Zheri Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Actually, I think that just replacing Jolt makes Impact even less interesting, though it does help with the button bloat. Another idea I just had was to make Impact generate 8 mana of whichever type is currently higher or 4 of each if they're equal. This way it does something different that actually effects the rotation.

racooperii likes this.
  4. Caimie Tsukino

Caimie Tsukino Realm Scribe

Server:
    Zalera
    Red Mage - Initial Impressions
    [​IMG]

Choochoobo and Jinzuku like this.
: Red Mage