Realm News Realm 2.0 - Part One

Discussion in 'The Realm Noticeboard' started by Fybrile, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Tonberry
    Hey all,

Well, 12 straight hours at it and we're about half done all we wanted to do. Alas, time to set it aside for the night and let you guys back onto the site. Currently, there's a lot of stuff under the hood that we're not opening up to the public just yet. Consider this an open beta of what little we were able to actually accomplish today. Hopefully over the next week we will finish up the rest of the update piece by piece, as well as work out all of the tiny issues here and there that are bound to crop up.

So, first thing you'll notice upon logging onto the Realm today is the mass of notification spam you received about Trophies. Apologies for that. We've completely revamped all of the Trophies. Check out our thread on what's new about the user trophies, and what we have slated for the near future HERE.

Second thing you'll notice is that I've temporarily set one of our new Themes to the default theme for the site. This is just for a short while to get your thoughts and feedback. You can switch the theme you're using with the Style Selector at the bottom of each page. You're currently able to choose between our new Ul'Dah and Gridania themes, as well as revert back to the Realm Legacy style.

Third thing you'll notice is we've revamped the Guides section completely. It's an entirely new page. Make sure to check it out.

Umm... there's a lot that went into today, and it's really just the tip of the iceberg. Stuff that's just right around the corner includes:

1. An FC Section
    2. That Realm VoIP Service
    3. The Limsa Lominsa Theme
    4. Friends

And, some other stuff. And that's just the rest of 2.0! Wait till you hear what we've got in mind for 2.1!

For now, I need to get some sleep. I wouldn't call this in a ready state, I just didn't want to keep the site shut down while I slept. So, there's going to be some bugs, guys. And I know for a fact responsiveness could be well improved. But, I hope you enjoy what you see so far.

~Fybrile

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
    Euriko, GeekMatt, racooperii and 11 others like this.
  2. Hermes

Hermes Scion

Looks sleek!

Fybrile likes this.
  3. AisuDjin

AisuDjin Adventurer

A nice refreshing look. I could definitely get used to this.

Fybrile likes this.
  4. Sai

Sai Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Wow fancy! Nice work, I like the darker theme

Fybrile likes this.
  5. Aww but sadly the emotes from last patch have white background and are not transparent. :beatenup: Except for a select few.:lie::bling: Being these three so far and they aren't exactly the best of quality. :shifty:""

I edited one. With the new background color. Making them transparent is gonna take awhile. XD

[​IMG]

Jinzuku, Fybrile, praysolace and 2 others like this.
  6. superpotato

superpotato Crystal Brave

Server:
    Moogle
    Fancy and sleek! I like it alot!

Fybrile likes this.
  7. Kolossus

Kolossus Vice Admin

Server:
    Diabolos
    I think we have our first candidate for the Bug spotting trophy right here, Fyb.

Jinzuku and Hermes like this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Scion

No rest for the wicked.

9. delta5ff

delta5ff Scion

I don't know if this is a bug the the legacy theme is no longer mobile compatible. While I think the new look if fantastic I'm personally not a big fan of black backgrounds. But keep up the good work with all the fantastic stuff your adding to the best XIV forum around

Jinzuku and Fybrile like this.
  10. praysolace

praysolace Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I love the new theme! It looks awesome! Thanks for your hard work :3

Fybrile likes this.
  11. Doctorhoo

Doctorhoo Crystal Brave

Server:
    Diabolos
    A lot of Hard Work was done here. Thanks!!

Fybrile likes this.
  12. MasterBox

MasterBox Scion

Server:
    Behemoth
    I already miss the "New Post" button.

It saves me time when I forum on the go.
    It can be tiresome to read through every section.

I miss it.. I really do :(

But the forums looks great

racooperii, Jinzuku and Fybrile like this.
  13. Ivy

Ivy Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    I'm curious what the point of Friends would be. Followers feel...a little pointless if you're going to add friends to that as well. I always assumed people just followed their mutuals since the follow function doesn't really notify you of things that the person does.
    Overall, I love the new themes.

Jinzuku likes this.
  14. ilmaestro

ilmaestro Crystal Brave

Glad to see the update has gone relatively smoothly, even if not as quickly as you would have liked. Looks sweet so far, keep up the excellent work!

Fybrile likes this.
  15. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Tonberry
    Wow... thanks for the wonderful feedback guys! I'll admit I woke up in a bit of a panic this morning - like, the-morning-after-the-night-before kind of thing, when you wake up regretting what you'd done, without quite remembering what exactly it was that you should be regretting. The positive messages are great to hear. Hope you're enjoying the new look.

Over the week, I hope to address the issues that arise in a timely manner, and then implement the rest of the update on the weekend. I don't expect it will require any downtime.

@Crimson Requiem : Yeah, the emoticons from the last update are a shame. Thanks for editing that one. I've added uploaded it to the server so at least we have one nice one in the dark themes. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no GIF-making skills. Hopefully some nice souls out there can help us out and make those backgrounds transparent. A postbit banner goes to anyone who will help us save our emoticons!!!

@delta5ff : The Realm Legacy theme and the responsive themes were actually two different themes that were automatically applied depending upon the device you were using. Because our new dark themes are fully-responsive, I needed to turn this function off. Apologies for the inconvenience. I've gone and made the Realm Legacy theme responsive again. Please note that there are currently some known issues with the navigation tabs in that theme (the new Guides page appears as "Articles" and the old one is still visible, for example). These issues will hopefully disappear over the next few days.

I should also note that the Limsa Lominsa theme will NOT be a dark theme.

@MiKairi : Ironically, the Friends functionality was actually something we were considering in response to some people requesting the ability to ignore other members. Unfortunately, no such functionality is possible in public areas of the Forums yet (we'll look into this some time after we're finished with style & design), but Friends would make it so that only your friends could post on your status board, view your profile, start a conversation with you, etc. It's an extension to the current following feature with simply a few minor (arguably necessary) tweaks. For example, you can follow anyone, regardless of whether or not that person actually wants to be followed. Friends would require both parties to agree.

If privacy is not a big concern for our community, I'm more than happy to put it on the back shelf for now.

Crimson Requiem and Jinzuku like this.
  16. wildbillhdmax01

wildbillhdmax01 Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Mateus
    I haven't been playing FFXIV:ARR, but I come on here time to time to lurk. I was surprised to see this new look, and that I have 15 new alerts. Anyways another great update. You guys are really doing a great job on revamping the website. Looks great. Thanks for all of the hard work!

Jinzuku and Fybrile like this.
  17. Ivy

Ivy Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    I actually assumed that the privacy settings here would make that so the privacy would be fine. I guess it does make sense, but if you do set your privacy to "people who follow only", it's effectively the same thing. Even if someone unwanted is following you, unless you're following them back, they can't post on your wall/start a convo/etc.

Fybrile likes this.
  18. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Tonberry
    You're right. The current privacy settings should definitely be enough. There are subtle differences in the two systems, but there is also a lot of overlap. One would essentially replace the other. If Friends is implemented, it would, somewhere down the road, replace Following.

Friends has:
    1. A certainly more inuitive UX, without as much sub-menu-navigation and micromanagement of settings and easily selecting "Friends" for mass PMs.
    2. Additional privacy settings
    3. The Option for notifications when Friends perform various activities (post, upload a Guide, etc.)
    4. The ability to import Friends from other sites
    5. On the back end, Friends creates a social group, that we can actually do things with. The Following system doesn't create a user criteria, so we can't, for example, assign user banners or custom titles to groups of Followers. But we could with Friends.

Essentially, its social networking on the Realm.

racooperii likes this.
  19. Caimie Tsukino

Caimie Tsukino Realm Scribe

Server:
    Zalera
    Well done, Fybrile, with the new "REALM REBORN"! :)
    I'm enjoying the Gridania theme at the moment!!!

Jinzuku likes this.
  20. Mycroft

Mycroft Crystal Brave

Server:
    Hyperion
    When can we 'spect a piece o' the glorious white jewel o' Eorzea fer us men o' the sea?
    We may've been pirates once, but e'en pirates long fer home during the long nights out at sea.
    Limsa's done right good by us, 'n we'd like ta 'ave a piece o' her with us, when we're away from 'ome.

Theatrics aside, a guesstimate on when the Limsa theme arrives would be fantastic, one can only tolerate forests and deserts for so long.

ilmaestro, delta5ff and Fybrile like this.