Questions about Free Company (FC)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kiseki, Jun 3, 2013.

1. kiseki

kiseki Member

Just read most details about Free Companies (FC) here. Still some more questions in my mind though.
    1. Is FC's growth going to be very member dependent? -- means it could hardly grow/level up with low number of members due to many growth contribution will be from the members.
    2. Is there going to be a totally separate exp for FC? -- members gaining exp for FC that helps it to gain level by doing any activities.
    3. Is the way for FC to level up is only by FC exp contributed from members doing activities; no other way such as by Gil?
    vicious, Illithar and Danforth Wright like this.
  2. Blunt Hound

Blunt Hound Member

good question.......ill stick around for an answer.........sorry im no help lol
    Plane likes this.
  3. Danforth Wright

Danforth Wright Well Known Member

Great questions. However, they have not made any of this clear as of yet. Perhaps they have in the closed beta forums, which are covered by NDA, so we won't know about that anyway. I do know that many answers will come in Phase 3 and 4 of testing. That is when they are going to allow us to discover and use the FC management tools and the FC points system. You can find that here: http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/download/en/FFXIV_2.0_BETA_Roadmap_EN.pdf

I'm very interested in these details myself, but unfortunately that well is pretty dry right now.
    Illithar likes this.
  4. Illithar

Illithar Active Member

I'm glad these questions have been posted, as I have full interest in the answers as well, especially seeing as I'd like to create my own Free Company and use it primarily as an individual, while providing somewhere for friends to come while "in-between places," so to speak.
  5. Nova

Nova Member

If the answer to all those is Yes, then it's gonna be one tough of a job to always try looking for members. But hey, I think that's how guild works in most MMOs.
  6. Joygasm

Joygasm Well Known Member

I'm not at all discouraged that one will be faced with finding a FC before jumping to make their own. In XI each shell was well defined in their differences because a lot of the same type of people collaborated.

However I speak when cooperativeness still existed in MMOs
    Tatertash84 likes this.
  7. Enigma

Enigma Member

The FC system sounds alot like the Clan system in White Knight Chronicles 1 and 2.
  8. kiseki

kiseki Member

Wondering if all the features of FC are (or when will be) available since last week's test, such as FC levels, how the perks work, etc.
    I really want to make and manage my own but if everything depends on high number of member counts I might need to consider again. I'm pessimistic on my marketing skill and not having lots of members.
  9. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

kiseki

1.Is FC's growth going to be very member dependent? -- means it could hardly grow/level up with low number of
    members due to many growth contribution will be from the members.

It seems like they will be, to some extent. Yoshi-P has stated that FC's will be able to decorate their houses with things that allow players to recieve minor bonuses (he specifically mentioned towers in a recent live letter that would perhaps give you a minor exp boost.) Generally, when bonuses like these are available for guilds or FCs, the groups with the larger player base has access to those bonuses earlier than smaller, more tightly-knit groups. Of course, if you'd rather trade a few months without them for a better gaming group, IMO it's worth it to choose an FC based upon like-mindedness, rather than bonuses that won't mean much when you hit cap anyways.

2. Is there going to be a totally separate exp for FC? -- members gaining exp for FC that helps it to gain level by
    doing any activities.

This hasn't been answered in detail, but we do know a few things. We know the FC house will be the hub of the FC. We know in that house there will be a chest (bank), towers (buffs), trophies (bragging rights? perhaps bonuses) and leader-determined access for players not in the FC - leaving the possibility open for the future of having an FC shop/retainer selling things. We can assume that many of these things will be purchased for gil, but Yoshi-P also recently mentioned that FCs would grow and level up, so there likely will be some type of FC exp/point system.

3. Is the way for FC to level up is only by FC exp contributed from members doing activities; no other way such as
    by Gil?

Given the game's direction in all other aspects, it is extremely unlikely that you will be able to level up you FC with gil. You can purchase and decorate your housing with gil, perhaps even get buffs, but you will likely need to accomplish FC achievements to level up.

Wondering if all the features of FC are (or when will be) available since last week's test, such as FC levels, how the perks work, etc. I really want to make and manage my own but if everything depends on high number of member counts I might need to consider again. I'm pessimistic on my marketing skill and not having lots of members.

You can be certain that all of the FC features will not be available until launch - perhaps even post launch. Keep in mind that many of the FC perks are tied into the housing system, which won't be available until a post-launch content patch.
    kiseki and Danforth Wright like this.
  10. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Danforth Wright likes this.