PS4 or PC?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by delta5ff, Feb 8, 2017.

1. delta5ff

delta5ff Scion

I've been paying this game on and off since the PS3 beta. I started off playing on the PS3 and took the free PS4 upgrade as soon as it was available. All my life I've primarily been a console gamer but now I have a high end PC. I have the base game and Hevansward on both systems but now with Stormblood on the horizon I want to know what system to get it on first. later on I will get it for both systems but that may be months to a year later so I want to know the pros and cons to each platform. And when I play on PC I plug my PS4 controller in because that's the most natural way for me to play.

From my point of view the PC has better performance and graphics versus been able to have more relaxed sessions sprawled out on the couch for console. Also there's no completion for time on the PC where as people boot me off the console to watch TV from time to time.

2. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Sounds like a really personal choice based on your criteria. In general they're the same with a few advantages to pc for things like parsing yourself and higher graphics, etc. if you have a good machine. PS4 as some conveniences like the share button, and like you I'm a console gamer and like being able to sprawl out on a couch and play on the big screeen

If it were me in your shoes, assuming you're equally comfortable playing on both, I'd go for the PC just because you aren't restricted to playing when others aren't using the TV.

3. delta5ff

delta5ff Scion

that's what I'm leaning towards. but looking at prices I want to start with the big collectors edition again, which costs the same on both platforms. However the digital download for pc is £10 cheaper than the base expac for PS4 which means over all I'd spend less money since I plan on getting it for both eventually.

4. Jinzuku

Jinzuku Vice Administrator

Top Poster Of Month

Server:
    Phoenix
    Based on what you've said it sounds like PC is the best way to go. Personally I've gotten used to the PS4 so playing on anything else would be odd to me. That and my laptop is not made for games so it would probably commit Seppuku if I tried running FFXIV on it.

5. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    I would say graphically there is probably not a huge difference because PS3 has sort of been holding the game back in that area a bit (not overly so like some say)
    Myself i started off on PS3, then PS4 and now PS4 Pro, either PC or console should be fine and like others have said perhaps in your situation PC would be better for now

6. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

PS3 support will be disontinued

7. delta5ff

delta5ff Scion

I'm thinking digital collectors edition for pc because the only physical item I'd actually want this time is the cloth map. and it seems a little silly to pay £100+ just for a cloth map:heh:

Caimie Tsukino and GeekMatt like this.
  8. Jinzuku

Top Poster Of Month

Server:
    Phoenix
    Is there a graphical difference for FFXIV between the PS4 and the Pro? I've recently upgraded to a Pro but haven't run FFXIV on it yet.

9. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    I am well aware of this, lol
    Once Stormblood hits that is it for PS3

None at all. Until SE does a patch and updates it for the Pro it will remain the same graphically, so perhaps by 5.0 we will see better graphics i am guessing.

Only thing the Pro may bring to FFXIV for now is the boost mode coming in a future system update which i hope helps with load times in Idylshire for example. But no way in knowing if the "boost mode" will actually work in this game or not.
    Also am stoked that it will bring external hd support (This will be available for Regular PS4 also) :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  10. Jinzuku

Top Poster Of Month

Server:
    Phoenix
    I'm wondering what this feature will actually do. I guess there is no way of knowing unless you know someone in the beta scheme that's trying it out. Would be nice to have the console do something without waiting for developers to make their patches.

11. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
  12. Skylock

Skylock Crystal Brave

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    I have a bias in favor of PC. Not because the PS4 is bad by any means, but because my laptop is a monster.

I started on PS3 at launch of ARR, then moved to PS4 when it was released. My mind was blown by the improvements. A year later, I was gifted with a gaming laptop, so I decided to try playing on PC. My mind was blown at how much better the game looked and played on a powerful system running at max fps. It just feels better to me.

I play PC now, and my wife plays using my PS4. I would find it hard going back to PS4 based on my situation and the contrast between both my PC and PS4, but prior to getting my PC, PS4 got the job done for me just fine. I also have the added benefit of mobility with my laptop in that I can play anywhere in my house, and take the game with me on the road.

That said, I am jealous that my wife gets to play on our TV while I'm stuck playing on a 17" laptop screen. :p

tl;dr / stop rambling Skylock
    PS4 is great and was fine for me before I ruined it with a more powerful machine.
    Mobility
    If I were you I'd just get it first for whichever machine you feel more comfortable playing on.

13. I have PC and PS4 version. PS4 is for when I want to be more mobile. Don't feel like lugging around my gaming rig on trips. I know I could get a gaming notebook or whatever but they are expensive for their performance.

14. delta5ff

delta5ff Scion

I ended up going with the collectors edition digital download on PC since there was no physical items I wanted this time. is the collectors edition code sent late because mog station is only showing the early access?