PS3 vs PC graphics comparison.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fluttersnipe, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Grim

Grim Active Member

I get it, but my point is - nothing will ever beat PC in graphics and gaming experience. Because PC can be console but console will never be PC lol
  2. perrdxxblade

perrdxxblade Newbie

Of course. I never said PS4 would beat PC. Just a long paragraph explaining what I told you lol.
  3. Heras Death

Heras Death Active Member

i am loving this thread, lots of good feedback from pc owners :D:D:D
  4. Grim

Grim Active Member

I never quoted you in the first place :hilarious: your first quote was "I never said better" and I'm just putting my thoughts out there, not referring to anyone's post
  5. Lasha

Lasha Member

I don't get why SE charges PC players to play the inferior console version. It should be a client download at best.

The Console vs PC debate is always a waste. Hardcore players on each side rarely cross the fence so most of the discussion is based on emotion. PC is the best platform for gaming full stop if you look at games available, accessories, extensibility, uses, performance, etc. There isn't really much room for debate. If a console player were handed a controller of a game in progress running on a PC in the living room they would be shocked to switch back to the console version.

Unfortunately, PC does have a slight learning curve. You need to build the thing yourself and possess basic computer literacy to troubleshoot issues that crop up from time to time. Its also more expensive than buying a console at the start because you have to buy the computer AND the components to make it a gaming PCs. Consoles fix that by being a cheap black box source of entertainment. The sting of being locked into a set of hardware for up to a decade is reduced by some damn nice console exclusives.

The real losers are the people who can't afford both and enjoy a game without caring about the platform.
    nobopyon likes this.
  6. Pandalishus

Pandalishus Active Member

@perrdxxblade Here's a "wall of text." I'll be interested to see if you can make it to the tl;dr at the end.

Always a good idea to think through what's been said before you tell someone to "get their facts straight" and accuse them of posting "idiotic ludicrous responses." I know you're young and still learning, but it can't do anything but help you out in life. So, without further ado...

Did I say previous-gen cards could handle the Luminous engine? I'm searching my post and just not seeing anything about "Luminous Engine" anywhere. Oh yeah, I was specifically referring to the scene, wasn't I? As in 'You're talking about a scene that's so easy to draw that even last-gen GPU's could handle it.' I referenced polygons, texture mapping, detail. Assuming you actually read the post instead of instantly dropping into fanboy mode, you would have understood that I was saying the scene itself was not overly complex.* I honestly don't care what engine is being used. A simple scene is a simple scene. Surely even you realize that a Radeon HD 4870 from 5 years ago can draw some of the scenes required today, and at a reasonable framerate? Since you know it all with respect to graphics, even you should realize that even DX11 is something that last generation's high-end cards handle fairly well at 30fps, 1080p.

FFXV on PS3 suggests otherwise. But you might be right to say "it only uses Luminous in part, and we don't even know if SqEx will ever get it out." Still, that's neither here nor there, as I've already made it clear that I wasn't talking about the engine, only the scene. But just so we're clear here, I'm not saying a last-gen can run make use of the full capability of the Luminous Studio engine. You put those words there, not me. I just said a last-gen card could have rendered that scene without much trouble. I would have thought you'd understan that.

*See? You did know it wasn't the best example of the engine. As I said, "There are far better, far more complex, far more realistic samples to use." A scene of Sora picking up a keyblade on the beach isn't one of them.

That remains to be seen. I would think you would have remembered that the final scene in that trailer was pre-rendered and maybe not come out swinging about something I didn't say. If you do know your KH "s**t," then why are you so defensive about it? No one here is trying to tear down Luminous.

Please tell you didn't just say that Sora's eyes—the blue gradient with a black dot and a white sun flare eyes—are somehoe comparable to the eyes in FFXIV!

--- Double Post Merged, Sep 4, 2013 ---
    ...it'll always match what the PC can do for ARR.[/quote]

Not always. "That should be literally common sense right there."

Now for my own little rant:

Here's what gets me about you fanboys. You specifically referenced the scene on the beach as an in-game cutscene, to which I replied, in effect, that it wasn't exactly amazing by current standards. Pretty, yes, but it's a scene that could be rendered by any number of engines nowadays, and could be handled by Radeon HD 6870's, etc. Now, you could have replied "OK, sure. But I was really thinking about this video." Instead, you started foaming at the mouth because someone dared to suggest that a scene that really doesn't need the Luminous Engine to look like that, well, doesn't need the Luminous Engine to look like that.

Look, if you want to defend the Luminous Engine, be my guest. It's amazing. No argument there. It may never become reality, but if it does, I'll be first in line to pick up whatever game uses it. But that doesn't mean you have to defend that scene of Sora on the beach. Just admit it's not the world's best use of Luminous and move on. Being a fanboy doesn't mean you have to defend a wrong position.

I've tried real hard to edit out the pieces above that actually turned your "moronic" and "ludicrous" back on you. I even think I've done a good job, but you're welcome to try and defend your position if it's that important. You won't be able to, though, so I'd really just prefer a "OK, yeah, maybe the Sora scene could be done by a 6870, but not all this other stuff." And then maybe you could link a few other videos of the Luminous engine (or anything running on the PS4) and we could all be happy that gaming is about to get a much-needed shot in the leg. Your choice, but unless your response has fun videos in it, I'm not wasting any (more) time on this.
  7. perrdxxblade

perrdxxblade Newbie

Oh, woops, my bad.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 4, 2013, Original Post Date: Sep 4, 2013 ---
    Not always. "That should be literally common sense right there."

Now for my own little rant:[/quote]

(Please read on, I have clearer photos of what I'm talking about...) While you have valid points, and I admittedly was a little too rude about how I acted, you misunderstood what I meant by saying "that should be common sense." I was referring to the fact that if they designed a game for PC at a certain graphics level at max that even the PS4 could handle (which it easily can if it can handle luminous...), the PC wouldn't magically look better just because it's more powerful. It may have a slightly higher framerate, but the graphics themselves wouldn't be "better" unless they actually designed them to be. But they didn't. It looks worse than Luminous even on PC with max settings, even after the DX11 update. Luminous uses DX11 too. ARR doesn't run on Luminous, which is superior. Put 2 and 2 together.

"Are you actually comparing ARR eyes?!" ...Anyone on Earth but you apparently would say the second picture looks 5 times better. And did you not pay attention to his facial expressions? ARRs are static as hell compared...

It's also been said by the creator of KH that KH3 and FF15 will in fact use Luminous because it is already finished. So that has been answered already. And how you think this: (THOSE EARS. 'NUFF SAID.) -_-[​IMG]

Looks better than THIS: [​IMG] [​IMG]

Is literally beyond me. And if you paid attention to the details in ARR, it's not even a QUESTION whether or not it looks better than what's shown in the KH3 trailer. The RR models have very obvious jaggy edges on clothes, while Sora's KH3 model does NOT. I'm pretty sure that's the very DEFINITION of better graphics. (It was said that they didn't put much detail into the hair because it's a beta model they aren't using.) But yeah, I don't even see how you could even think for a second ARR faces look better than this. It's almost literally like saying "PS2 graphics look better than current gen!" ...
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    Heras Death likes this.
  8. Karamethien

Karamethien Active Member

Isn't the contention that PS4 will look better than PC?

[​IMG]
  9. perrdxxblade

perrdxxblade Newbie

Maybe initially if the graphics do actually end up looking that good, but I wouldn't be surprised if PCs were made to handle stuff like that within a few months after next-gen's release. That happened with this gen, didn't it? I don't know for sure how long it took for PC's to catch up to PS3/360, but it couldn't have been that long.
    Pandalishus likes this.
  10. Lasha

Lasha Member

I don't think so because wasn't this gen started around the time "The Orange Box" was released? I remember Bioshock looking leaps and bounds better than the console version.
  11. Eossian

Eossian Member

i guess i read the "a" as an "e" , as most dont call it "FFARR". regardless, you're incorrect that FF14 has worse graphics than KH3...

i personally dont know the details of DX11 and generally don't care about the bells and whistle's of grafix. people simply need to get OUT of the mindset that A) PC's are too expensive and B) Consoles are better than PC's. PS4 and Xbone are already behind the computing power that a PC can manage, not to mention a PC has and will always have more games and more "apps". It's an all in one system that does everything.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 5, 2013 ---
    lol PC's were already slighty better and it took barely any time to surpass ps3/360 by leaps and bounds. PC's are already better than PS4/Xbone. PC has been "next-gen" for years already.
    Heras Death likes this.
  12. Pandalishus

@perrdxxblade OK, now we're getting somewhere, but you're also shifting the goalposts on me a bit. You're pulling screenshots from places other than the video you showed. I'm also willing to bet they're pre-rendered. In the two images you linked, you've got the right of it: Sora does look better. But in the video you linked, this is what we get:

[​IMG]

Now that could be because even in 1080p, YouTube's compressing too much. Maybe if we saw a straight render from a PS4, I'd be blown away. My gut says it wouldn't look like your screengrab, but that's not a hill I'm willing to die on. But that does bring me back to what was my original point all along: you pointed out to us that this was an in-game cutscene and I just wasn't impressed. Now there could be a 100 variables I don't know about, but I only had what you gave me to go on. Assuming we're not looking at some sort of compression defect, that's just not super impressive. Your screenshot is! The test video with the dragon is! The trailer for KH3... is not. Y'shtola's eyes in in-game FFXIV:ARR ctscenes blow that away (remember, the eyes of dev-designed characters can carry more oomph than the eyes we actually get to use).

With any luck, you're seeing where I'm coming from now. As I've said, I have no doubt the PS4 will blow us all away. So far, however, the KH3 trailer is not showcasing the capabilities. Even SqEx have admitted the final scene had to be pre-rendered. I have no doubt that the Luminous Studio engine (if it actually winds up happening, about which there's some doubt) will be amazing. But I'm still willing to stand by the claim that a 6870 could render the scene on the beach without keeling over.

As for the common sense" comment, the reality is that if FFXIV:ARR becomes a hit, and we're playing it 5 years from now on Radeon 11870's and nVidia 980Ti Boosts, the PS4 will look like "crap," just like the PS3 version does now compared to a PC. It's just the nature of the platform. The PS4 will have a long lifespan, but within 4-5 years, PCs will start blowing by it. That's not a shot at the PS4, just the reality. That was my "common sense" point. There will come a day when SqEx devs can do more with the PC version of FFXIV:ARR than with the PS4.

And finally, with respect to the "too rude," no worries. KH3 has been a long time coming. I can understand a bit of combativeness. ;)

EDIT:Ii think this is a better sample of the FFXIV:ARR engine when it comes to the eyes...

[​IMG]
    Heras Death likes this.
  13. perrdxxblade

perrdxxblade Newbie

No, I'm NOT incorrect, dipshit. It runs on LUMINOUS, (which is obvious you know NOTHING about it) that is MUCH more superior than the engine 14 runs on. Omfg...A moron without a brain. Look at the fukcing pictures I posted. Compare the EARS AND EYES. AND the video, while paying attention to the sleeves/circular shapes. You think 100% flawlessly smooth edges are equivalent to jaggy circles that have multiple SIDES, which aren't perfectly circular without a single flaw? Do you own a MORSEL of common sense? What's your IQ? 12? I think I may be giving you a little too much credit there. Even on PC with max settings, the sleeves look like crap compared. Things that are supposed to be circular are more like fukcin octagons. And they don't even flow with movement either. At least, no where NEAR the physics shown in the video. They're static.

Look at the edges of your sleeves in ARR. Then look at Sora's sleeves. Completely out of this world different.

And I never said consoles were better than PCs, fyi.
  14. Pandalishus

I have to agree that the curves on the sleeve in that trailer are pretty impressive.
    Heras Death likes this.
  15. perrdxxblade

perrdxxblade Newbie

But that screencap was in the trailer! (around 30 ish seconds). And yeah, it was indeed stated that was a pre-render and just something quickly made for a teaser, so the graphics could actually end up looking a little better, or the same, who knows, I guess only time will tell.

90% of the time I feel kinda humiliated in a way when I fume like that over something so little, so I'm sorry for that...

I think part of it was due to the fact of still being irritated by someone calling me a "mental retard" on a different site for saying the "Wii U couldn't handle DX11 and Luminous at its fullest which is why KH3 isn't on it", minutes before I started posting on here. lol
  16. metallicorphan

metallicorphan Active Member

were they even using HDMi on the PS3 for that video? and maybe they have brightness settings all wrong

I play on the PS3 and while i accept that PC will most definitely be much better looking than the PS3 version,there isn't a chance in hell my PS3 version looks as bad as it does in that IGN video

Maybe they grabbed that footage from Phase 3,as there was a small graphical overhaul since then,but still i was in phase 3 and i still can't remember it looking that bad

I know pictures can't compensate for video footage,but still..no SD cloudiness here like in that video
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    nobopyon likes this.
  17. Heras Death

Not bad, and definitely 100x better than that ps1 IGN graphics video, IGN sucks anyways. Have you got any sun flare screenies by any chance? I am interested to see what the ps3 version is capable of, also sunset/ sunrise if you have any, i love those! :D
    metallicorphan likes this.
  18. metallicorphan

hmm,i am not sure about lens flare,i will have to try and get some and experiment...I honestly can't remember if i have even seen lens flare,but i know the perfect place to go to try:woot:

as for a sunrise,not one of my best pictures,but the sky looks cool
    [​IMG]
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 5, 2013, Original Post Date: Sep 5, 2013 ---
    Okay took some pictures,not impressed by the lens flare on the PS3 version,it just seemed like a column of green light that came straight from the sun,no matter how you turn and tilt the camera,that's all it ever was.

Maybe i need to experiment more,i don't know.

Hopefully PC players have better luck at getting some decent Lens Flare
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hero shot,LOL
    [​IMG]
    Heras Death likes this.
  19. Heras Death

Hmm I would say those gfx are equal to AMD 6xxx series chip sets, or roughly around that margin. Its honestly not bad at all! I actually expected less :p love your screenies!

[​IMG]
    This is my rig's screenie, this is the sun flare

[​IMG]
    I am not sure if ps3 can draw these much effects or not..

[​IMG]
    sunset flare

[​IMG]
    lighting effects are night are is really beautiful[​IMG]
    looks better than crysis to me lol.

[​IMG]
    I like this realistic water look

[​IMG]
    vibrant/ contrast clouds

[​IMG]
    love the glows on these plants

As you can see, this is what I experience. It is alot better on pc, and I would urge any FF fan to invest in a nice rig if they really want to get the best from this game. Most review sites graphics looks like nothing that my rig or anyone gaming rig can do. It just looks so much better in real life, I cannot explain it.

At least I know for myself PS3 version isnt that bad as people claim it to be :p
    metallicorphan likes this.
  20. metallicorphan

those pictures are fantastic..i'll have to wait for the PS4 version to hope to come near those pics

and they also remind me that i have a lot left to explore still in Eorzea:D
    nobopyon and Heras Death like this.