Preparing for end game, because there is none now

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phage, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Phage

Phage Member

During this awkward period of a newly released MMO which happens in almost all MMO's I've played is that there's a lack of content and queues are outrageously long, now what? End-game in ARR is going to be similar to most MMOs and different as well because the most wanted/viable players that are going to be sought out the most will be the players that have fully developed their toons in multiple classes not just ONE main class. I will be looking for players that can serve multiple roles on the dime. If I need a tank or healer or dps those roles can be filled by 1 player. IMO a player who is progressing their toon should be maxing/gearing out 2 classes at once to serve greater purpose for the guild/raid/group. A fully developed character and most sought after will be players that have 1 dps / 1 healer / 1 tank / 1 craft class max leveled and at least 1 main class geared out. As a hardcore raider and serious PvP'er those are players I'll be looking to play with. It has become apparent to me by the mechanics of the game that this is how ARR is meant to be played. If you're thinking that you're gonna get by in ARR with one class leveled then I believe you're gonna be in for a surprise. Progressing in ARR is progressing your toon in ALL areas if possible or at least in 2-3 classes, this is part of end-game it's in the mechanics. Why else do you think leveling is easy? Is because people are going to be leveling multiple classes.

I really wouldn't worry about grinding AK or HM primals for gear right now then complaining how's there lil end game content, because at this phase the content is currently being developed and will be released soon I have no doubt about it. If anyone played ff11 will know how freaking HUGE end-game was and I have zero doubt that will be no different here in ARR. As more and more content is implemented gearing ONE class will take some effort but now imagine gearing multiple classes... ahh now that's were the commitment comes in and the more serious players will thrive in. Gearing one class... meh thats good for the casual but if you're a serious player like me then the treasure and fun comes in progressing in multiple classes.

What is currently being called "end-game" for ARR at this point is more a learning phase for the players and the current gear/dungeons/raids/fates are just temporary fillers for what is to come, as I mention above if you played ff11 end game then you'll what I'm talking about.
    But if you're really adamant about grinding AK for tomes and dreading the long queues then here's a suggestion and I have no doubt queues will become quicker when people start figuring out but I have level 50 dragoon as a main and 50 warr as sub and I'm leveling a white mage for PvP. I enjoy using my Warr to get into queues and farm tomes and it's been working out brilliantly. So try leveling a healer or tank to get in use them as mules to farm tomes for your main class. I know some of you just want to play that ONE class you've become attached too but I'm telling you that there's greater joy and you'll become a much greater attraction by progressing several classes. True story.

So in the end, start leveling different classes progressing your character that way and it will broaden and give your character more opportunity thus making that much stronger and developed because the gear that is obtainable today I can almost guarantee you that it will be easily replaced within a patch or 2 and in result you'll be preparing your character for real "end game".
    Ryusu, Laychu, Nichigo and 4 others like this.
  2. Eossian

Eossian Member

"there's no end game".

explain titan HM, relic +1 and Coil then.
    Balaur likes this.
  3. ilmaestro

ilmaestro Well Known Member

He explained his view on the current content, read his post.
  4. Luko

Luko Well Known Member

Kind of impressive that the "filler" content, as you refer to it as, has yet to be cleared by a single group. (as of earlier today, I dont follow it as much as I used to.)

Kind of wild for filler content.
  5. ilmaestro

ilmaestro Well Known Member

If they genuinely have a "ten year plan", it's not impossible that they see anything that ships with the initial release of ARR as effectively "filler", too.

I never played XI past the first day it was released, but I heard that game had some content that took a serious amount of time for anyone to clear - not just a few weeks.

(I agree that filler is just generally a bad word, though, if that was any part of your point)
  6. Tyler

Tyler Member

Nar a non-legacy group has got down coil turn 4 so it has been completed.
  7. nz_chic

nz_chic Active Member

I don't tend to read anything as I like to have everything in game surprise. .. otherwise its like watching the ending of a movie and not seeing the first parts.
  8. xusha

xusha Well Known Member

So just wondering, when someone explains the boss fight, do you not read that?
  9. nz_chic

nz_chic Active Member

Well ill read it when I get to fight him... I like to leave everything to the last minute and enjoy as much as possible. .. if for example its in the journal I will read it...but if its someone talking about something I haven't done its kind of like a spoiler.
    Fybrile likes this.
  10. xusha

xusha Well Known Member

Just making sure, cause I had one person actually tell me that they're not reading the boss explanation because they don't want spoilers during a dungeon. They died pretty quickly :p
    Heras Death and nz_chic like this.
  11. Pandalishus

Pandalishus Active Member

EDIT: I think @Phage and I have reached something of an understanding in posts #20 & 21. I'm going to leave the below intact, but I understand more now that what we're actually debating is dev philosophies about endgame content, not player approaches to it. Personally, I think FFXIV:ARR is going to more WoW-like (from an endgame content) than people expect, but if I'm proved wrong, Phage has the right of it.

Nope. Pick your role and level to 50. Level up any sub-classes that will give important skills (e.g. THM 26 for healers). Then spend all your time gearing. There is absolutely no need to level unneeded classes to 50. It's detrimental to serious raid groups to have a player who's not spent almost every waking moment becoming married to his/her class. This "level a bunch of classes to 50" is silly. Players should be focused on full Darklight + Relic, getting cross-class skills that make sense, and perhaps leveling crafting if they find they don't have easy access to melding. You *will* get roflstomped if your gear is not up to the task, and Darklight/Artifact is currently what's up to the BC task.

I would strongly suggest new players with a serious eye for endgame ignore this post.

PS If you need quicker queue times, you really need to join a FC with a decent roster of heals & tanks to speed your own queue up (if you plan to raid, this is more or less mandatory). You can also queue for up to 5 dungeons at once (e.g. MP, CM, AK, Ifrit for weap, and... um...) to increase your chances of a quicker queue. In the time you spend grinding a second class to 50, you will have queued enough for a full darklight set, even with the longer queue times for DPS.

You really just don't have a clue, do you? This is all talk.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  12. A SIlly Sausage

A SIlly Sausage Active Member

Phage, you the man. Finally someone who knows what they talking about.

Buy following the OP route you would have definitely picked up the skills needed to play the game properly as leveling several jobs to 50 takes time and experience only comes with time.

All this hogwash about getting a 50 and grinding for gear a laugh. Seriously gear never has and never will make a player.

Noobs have no excuse. We where all noobs once in the mmo universe but most of us took the time to read and learn the mechanics of said games instead hopping in like virgins. ARR has been dumbed down so much to make it accessible for these noobs and yet they still to lazy to read or learn. Now it's upto us to babysit them. This what we evolved to in 2013?
    Nichigo and Dragon like this.
  13. Jacin

Jacin Member

Wasn't XI the one with Absolute Virtue and Pandemonium Warden? Some LS/FC made an 18 hour attempt on one of them and still didn't down it. People were like, throwing up and passing out lawl....still, I bet that was epic as hell back in the day.
  14. Phage

Phage Member

My point is there isn't really end-game content yet because the devs were prepping the game for launch so they've focus their efforts on leveling progression to 50 with "some" end game. But now the games out the leveling phase of the game has been pretty much finetune NOW they can focus on real end-game content. If you read the released patch notes it proves my point. Content is coming fellas, I wouldn't worry about the gear you can get today cause it will be replaced in a patch or 2.
    Fybrile likes this.
  15. Dragon

Dragon Well Known Member

Good post, Phage.

I've said it before and will say it again: there is no excuse anymore for not having multiple roles at cap in this game. Everything is s**t-easy to cap, and it was the same in FFXI in the OP's manner (yes, you were a fool to not have multiple jobs at cap even in FFXI).
  16. Grimus

Grimus Well Known Member

So in a game where the max level is 50.. and you cannot gain stats from increasing in levels anymore.. when the bosses and mobs get stronger.. what do you do? Do you just assume your a total badass, that you have the skill of a true pokemon master? Being a skilled player is great. But no skill is going to save you from an attack that will kill you in two swings, when if you simply had better gear you could survive to the third attack and be healed to fight on.

Don't be ignorant.
  17. Phage

Phage Member

You totally missed the message behind this post... typical. I've stated a few times "at this current phase" because right now tome grinding is a bitch so level multiple classes, gear multiple classes but have ONE main class... then once there's other methods of obtaining tomes and gear then start worrying about it because the current end-game ak/coil is just filler content (imo) until they start adding 24 raids and other higher rated dungeons.

So explain what don't I get or is it you who didn't get my post?
    Brandon Copeland likes this.
  18. Brandon Copeland

Brandon Copeland Active Member

I agree with what you've said completely, but regardless people are going to do things their way. They're probably not used to the possibilities of multi classing so give it time to sink in. Once they see people with multiple classes going hard, they'll begin to branch out. Right now the mechanics are to have fun in a vast world.. not reach the end and stay at the end unless that's what you would want to do.
  19. A SIlly Sausage

A SIlly Sausage Active Member

@Grimus. Ignorant no m8, just smart enough to avoid the attack in the first place.
  20. Pandalishus

Pandalishus Active Member

EDIT: Let me preface the following by saying I'm really just debating the "serious" and "casual" connotations of your OP. I'm not saying you're wrong about endgame content being sparse, just that you're wrong about what "serious" and "casual" players are doing right now. You're doing what casuals are doing. Serious players are in BC.

EDIT 2: I'm going to leave the below intact, but let me be a bit less confrontational. If you're saying that 2.1 content doesn't have a raid in it, so you don't have to pound Mtn Dews all day as you run CM over and over and over, I won't argue that point too strongly. It doesn't sound like that's your main point, but I've been known to misunderstand more than a few people. Ultimately, my point is that those waiting for some future endgame before they start gearing for endgame aren't serious. Endgame is here, whether we like how it looks or not. Serious players are progressing through it so they've got that box checked in order to start the next set of endgame content when it's released. Casual players are the ones leveling other classes for some imagined future scenario. Leveling secondary classes to 50 is a secondary concern for those serious about endgame.

EDIT 3: I think @Phage and I have reached something of an understanding in posts #20 & 21. I understand more now that what we're actually debating is dev philosophies about endgame content, not player approaches to it. Personally, I think FFXIV:ARR is going to more WoW-like (from an endgame content) than people expect, but if I'm proved wrong, Phage has the right of it.

No, I got what you were saying. I don't think you got the point of mine, which is that you're just plain wrong. A serious player is the one progressing in BC right now. Sure, there's not a lot of content, but that's pretty much every single MMO launch ever. If someone wants to grind a second or third class to 50, fine, but if they're serious it's something they'll be doing in between queues for tomes and/or progressing BC. When the newest content is ultimately released, those in BC are the ones who will progress first to that, etc, etc, etc. It's always the people clearing content now that clear future content when it's released. Whatever 24-man is released will most likely assume at least Darklight+Artifact and definitely the Ifrit weap. If you want to step into that raid the day it's released, you should be gearing now. This is MMO 101: if you're serious about endgame content, you do whatever grind there is to clear whatever content there is so you're ready for the next round. You're saying, in effect, wait to the next round to gear up and progress content, and in the meantime level other classes (that you actually won't raid with, because the reality is that a serious endgame team is not going to have players switching roles because everyone is going to guard their position jealously). That is what we call... casual.

Of course this content is training us for future content. But those who are actually serious about endgame are progressing BC (or working their way past HM Garuda or Titan for relic weaps). I think you're confusing a sort of dedication to the game with a serious attitude toward endgame content, which you don't have (judging from the above). If you're saying "current content is short, so don't lose sight of the long term," then fine, I agree. But you're not. You're saying "current content is short, so just ignore it." Nope. Sorry. If it's short, then clear and then do your other stuff (but anyone currently in BC knows it's actually a challenge. Those who skip BC and wait for the first real raid are in for a world of hurt).

Let me put it this way: Everything you've proposed in your main post can be done while progressing in endgame (or, more commonly, once current endgame is on farm and you need something to do to pass the time to the next content patch). This idea that you should be leveling to 50 now and doing endgame later is just plain wrong. You should be progressing endgame now and, if it's really important to you, leveling 50's on the side when you've finished your other prep for tomorrow night's "raid" (our guild just runs 3 8-mans). But the reality is that once you get a job to 50 and plug into an endgame group, you don't need to level anything else to 50 unless you just want to (e.g. maybe you want to tank for Team B, or you're going to switch to heals in 2.2 or something).

Long story short, you're saying there's no endgame to speak of right now, so don't concern yourself with endgame. What you're really saying is "don't go for the best loot in the game right now because it's grindy." Well, welcome to serious endgame progression. It's been this way for over a decade.

I doubt I'll convince you, but my response isn't so much for you as for those who come along thinking you know what you're talking about because you toss out "a serious player like me." I'm saying you make some good points but ultimately get the heart of the issue completely wrong. Still, I'll just leave this post as my last on the subject because I'm sure you and others aren't interested in reading my walls of text (for which I apologize profusely :( )

PS The fact you think tomestone grinding is a bitch is just further proof. Boring? Yes. Difficult? No. Just crash CM until your eyes bleed. Takes 30m or less with a decent group. Throw in an AK every so often to break things up. If you don't have your Ifrit weap, queue for that as well to mix things up. A near-full set of Darklight (chest last since it's actually somewhat decent) can be done in a week with just 2 hours a night (4x7x100 = 2800). Or run AK so you get some ToM in there. Granted, it's not fun, but it's what serious players do in new content.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013