Paladin Paladin changes in ARR?

Discussion in 'Disciples of War' started by Vamped, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Vamped

Vamped Administrator

With FFXIV A Realm Reborn crawling closer and closer to its' official release, would you like to see any changes made to the Paladin job? Do you think they should stay the same from 1.0, or would you personally like to see some changes in their gameplay/group role.

What about their tanking? Should Paladins be the king in both single and multi target tanking?
    Akki and Estebanx1 like this.
  2. Estebanx1

Estebanx1 Active Member

I'm glad you asked :D. Seriously speaking..... er writing though I think that its should stay single target tanking since having them will be crucial. That and it give the Warrior Job some use other than being a damage dealer.
  3. Alderon

Alderon Active Member

Idk how things worked exactly in 1.o but I'd imagine that there's a skill/move where after activating, the likelihood of aggroing would increase. Like provoke or taunt;while an AoE aggro skill could be an option as well.
    Estebanx1 likes this.
  4. Meathooks

Meathooks Member

I typically pick the sword and board class when choosing a main character, so Paladin is pretty big for me.

I haven't played 1.0, but I am aware of the large rift between Team Paladin and Team Warrior, which is pretty silly imo, but things like this tend to arise in MMO communities. I'm pretty protective of my tanking status when I play, but I like to let my skill speak for me and not my class selection. As I understand it Paladins got this stigma thrown on them, probably by self-proclaimed "elitists" that they weren't as effective as Warriors because they couldn't bring extra damage, while their defensive boost wasn't needed. If that's at all true then I'd like to see Paladins get a little love in the tanking department, maybe granting some auras or extra support related abilities to balance out the extra damage that Warriors can bring to a group.

I guess the other thing that really bugs me is when a game considers a dagger to be the equivalent or superior of a sword... no, just no.

I'm the type of player who likes to look cool while still being as good as he possibly can be with regards to both skill and gear. For me a fully armored tank wielding a shield for defense looks ridiculous with a dagger in his sword arm. It's just silly, take out the daggers and give them to Thief or Ninja when those namby-pamby jobs are inevitably released. I don't care if Gladiator's "specialize in the handling of all manner of one-handed blades" IT. LOOKS. DUMB.
    Lilavalanche and Estebanx1 like this.
  5. Celaria

Celaria Active Member

As a Paladin in 1.0, I personally feel the job (and having played gladiator in beta for ARR i just won't go into detail about that :shifty:) is perfect as far as it's going, both 1.0 and ARR are balanced in a way that a sword/board tank should be, personally as it stands i could enjoy it either way, i loved 1.0 tanking and im enjoying beta aswell. we'll see when phase 3 comes out and NDA lifts, then I can really get a solid judgement on Paladin.
    Estebanx1 and Meathooks like this.
  6. Estebanx1

Estebanx1 Active Member

I totally agree with you I mean just imagine a Roegadyn with a full set of Paladin Armor, a shield and pulls out ......a dagger o_O really?
    Aeroblader and Meathooks like this.
  7. Jesse Welch

Jesse Welch Active Member

If you and I are on the same server, I'm gonna mail you so many daggers :D
    Aeroblader, Estebanx1 and Gilthas like this.
  8. Alderon

Alderon Active Member

Ifrit: Wow, you brought an ice pick to fight me? Yo Bahamut, look at this fool!
    Bahamut: *facepalm* You forced me to do this to you, you n00b.......*charges Megaflare* lmao
  9. Celaria

Celaria Active Member

Oh Ifrit, more fun times ahead killing you. :3
  10. Estebanx1

Estebanx1 Active Member

lmao

*Cries* its not funny. I'm dagerous
  11. Chaos_Martin

Chaos_Martin Active Member

I haven't played in 1.0 or beta yet but I've always seen Paladins being the one to take damage and distracting enemies and be a ok healer, not as good as white mage and also protects fellow members.
  12. Alderon

Alderon Active Member

I'm pretty sure that the heals from a Paladin is solely meant for extending their life expectancy till an actual healer can help out more
    Sword and Estebanx1 like this.
  13. Jesse Welch

That IS how it is. Occasionally in ffxi I found myself having to heal others while tanking, but that is just a testament to my own personal awesomeness, even in a n0ob party. Still, assuming the party is not composed of tactical morons, the paladin's healing abilities ARE for extending his survival to continue tanking.
    Estebanx1 likes this.
  14. YuriSan

YuriSan Active Member

As a hardcore Tank I'd like to see things in Tanking
    stay as they were in 1.23 (It's already well know that will not be the case but one can dream)

WAR = Crowd Control + Boss with minions battles.
    PLD = Single target Boss tanking.

The way things are in beta right now Tanking has become laughable and sad at the same time.
    You could lay the keyboard on the floor spray some bread crumbs on it, let a pidgeon loose in the house
    and sit back to watch it tank while having his delicious meal....
    Estebanx1 and Alderon like this.
  15. Jesse Welch

That is disappointing. Tanking in ffxi was a challenge and required skill. Not only did you have to keep hate, but you had to stay alive as well. You could stun with shield bash, blind with flash, heal yourself... you had to worry about hp and mp at the same time. It actually took more skill than being a simple damage dealer. I truly, truly hope you are wrong and tanking will still remain in the realm of the skillful, but time will tell. If not, I can always go DD.
    Estebanx1 and Lilavalanche like this.
  16. Celaria

Celaria Active Member

as on level 35 (keywords) it's easy but soloing as a gladiator i noticed at certain times I actually had to tank like in 1.0 i think the two main issues with judgement of beta is, 1: the level cap was 35, there was no real end-game test, we didn't even have PLD in beta, nor the skills to 50. 2: The battle system, in P1/2 wasn't finished, which SE stated several times, they intended to put in the full battle system come Phase 3, with well, the entire rest of the game.
    Lawndart and Estebanx1 like this.
  17. Jesse Welch

Very true, very true. It would not be accurate to draw any conclusions at all about any of the classes and jobs until at least phase 3. Guess I got all fired up when he described tanking as "laughable" as I take it most seriously!
    Estebanx1 likes this.
  18. YuriSan

YuriSan Active Member

Dear, I hope you are right and I am wrong.
    But the game is becoming easier. everyone knows.
    Why do you think that tanking @ LV 35 with only a few skills from GLA (not even PLD)
    will be easier to tank than when you are a full PLD with all the PLD skills unlocked, let alone all the
    Interclass skills from WAR, DRG, WHM etc unlocked?

Tanking with limited skills is suposed to be harder than tanking with all
    skills in existance availale to ya.
    It's like saying it should be easier to defend a fort with just a knife than defending it with
    Cannons, Gatling guns, Archers, Lasers and such...
    Estebanx1 likes this.
  19. Jesse Welch

Yeah, but there is more to an mmo than just a mad dash to get everything to top level, doing endgame content with people who tell you how you should play the game, then finding another mmo and repeating the process. In WoW and GW2 there are no shortage of people telling you "the game begins at 80" and plenty of people telling you how to play the game. FFXI was different in that abilities did not transfer from class to class and maxing out your black mage level did not make your paladin any stronger. You could take your time, explore a never-ending supply of side-quests, enjoy the game for what it is... There was also tons and tons of content.

I feel as though I am walking on egg shells right now as I do not wish to embroil this fine forum in a flame-war, but between this thread and the "PC Users Still Undecided" one, you do sound like the kind of elitist person who prefers to tell others how to play the game and it is starting to irk me.
  20. YuriSan

YuriSan Active Member

Naah I aint elitist at all.
    If you a good guy you're good enough for mah shell.
    That aint an elitist behaviour at all.
    Elitist shells have a gazillion rules we have none pretty much.

+ I took mah sweet time leveling up. I didn't dash to anything, this is my first MMO ever, I never even played FFXI
    so I dunno what you talking about when you talking about other MMOs.

Also you can debate without flamewars. all you need is to leave emotion out of debating alltogether and voila!

I'm no elitist but I sure like to finish endgame content.
    Especially when it is available for a limited amount of time only...

In the other thread you mentioned I am talking about a shell that aint hardcore at all.
    They taking their sweet time are super casual and nobody tells anyone what to do or how to play the game, the only problem is they never even came close to a relic, never killed Garuda, never killed Nael Darnus hard, and barely killed moogle... I mean c'mon.
    It's goo to be in a lax enviorment as long as they get stuff done.
    They want to do endgame but can't due to lack of skill or strategy or coordination or whatnot.
    You can't believe that that's ok eh?