No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Jinzuku, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Jinzuku

Jinzuku Vice Administrator

Server:
    Phoenix
    Am I the only one hyped for this game? I'm usually against games that let you fly in space (like EVE Online) but this game just seems too unbelievable to pass up.

I really like what the studio are trying to do with this game. It's hard to believe that there is only 8 of them.

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, look at these:

Reveal from E3 2014

Latest and greatest gameplay video (with the guy making it)

Fybrile and Ish like this.
  2. Contraband

Contraband Adventurer

Yeah, this game looks really interesting and it's mainly because of the atmospheric entry since I'm not really interested in the space travel by itself. It'd be amazing with those joystick setups too.
    It looks pretty similar to Elite: Dangerous minus being able to visit planets like No Man's Sky.

3. Brash Torque

Brash Torque Loremaster

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Definitely have this on my radar and waiting for it to hit on PC. Love the art style and the fact that you can not only explore but discover entire planets.

4. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    I still think it's crazy that it would take a player 500 billion years to visit each of the 18 quintillion (that's 18 zeros) planets in No Man's Sky, and that is assuming you only spend 1 second on each planet.

5. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    So I have about 585 billion questions.

Is this an mmo? I got the impression that it is and that discovering a planet will result in your characters name being permanently associated with that planet as the discoverer. This is a pretty awesome feature if that's the case.

How did they do it? What magic is this? Did they repeat the same content a bajillion times ( I assume not because that would be terrible and stupid), they obviously didn't craft it all themselves given the amount of time it'd take. So I assume it's a program that generates new regions and new areas. If they really did add in an insane amount of variables, this could be really cool, and the fact that even the developers haven't seen a fraction of the content as a result is intriguing. I could see there being glitched solar systems and planets fused together, and those errors make it more interesting (or maybe frustrating depending on the issue).

What do we know about the gameplay? I know you can upgrade ships and stuff, but is there a benefit to that other than blowing up all the spacey-things that were floating around? Can you fight other players like that?

6. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    NO had to mention this hey, lol
    I want the game now
    E3 they said we would have a release date soon but the wait is killing me.
    In terms of the genre of game it is, very good question. It is more of an exploration game and is said that no person will begin in the same area and everyone will experience a different world. It uses a procedural algorithm
    The goal of the game is for every player to make it to the center of the universe but there may or not be an end? That portion i am not sure about yet.
    This game will be PC and PS4 and possibly other platforms down the road but hoping it is just those 2 platforms :>

Jinzuku and GeekMatt like this.
  7. Brash Torque

Brash Torque Loremaster

Server:
    Brynhildr
    www.no-mans-sky.com

Here is a link to the official website for the game. IGN also did a pretty lengthy set of coverage on the game so you can OD on the details from there. It doesn't sound like an MMO style of game in the sense of a WoW or FF but there is definitely multiplayer. If you look at the news section of the main site, there is a link to a video that details how the universe and all the planets are generated using the math algorithms in the game. The part on the creatures is really interesting and how the game goes about creating a multitude of variations off a silhouette.

Jinzuku and GeekMatt like this.
  8. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    Looks like we have a release date: June 2016.

GeekMatt likes this.
  9. Tyo Ganajai

Tyo Ganajai Crystal Brave

Server:
    Bryn
    Sadly it probably will be given MS refusal for cross platform and no likelihood that any company is going to convince them away from it if SE couldn't. Now I have to convince the wife to let me get a ps4 by June.

10. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    Well it is now confirmed PS4 console exclusive and coming out in June 2016, finally some real news :)

11. Brash Torque

Brash Torque Loremaster

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Well, I guess I now know when I'll have to see about upgrading my gaming rig.

Jinzuku likes this.
  12. MasterBox

MasterBox Scion

Server:
    Behemoth
    I am.. i have been watching this game for some time now. Pre order asap

Jinzuku likes this.
  13. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    It truly does look great, and imagine with Sony's VR set coming out next year :D

Jinzuku likes this.
  14. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    For anyone who missed it, No Man's Sky is due to release on June 21st 2016

Personally I'm going to wait for the reviews before I buy it.

racooperii and GeekMatt like this.
  15. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Cactaur
    The 21st can't come soon enough.

Been following this game for a while, and really looking forward to being a merchant, flying between spaceports, buying low and selling high!

16. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    So did anyone pick this up on release day (yesterday for PS4)?

I did, but was wondering what people's thoughts were on it.

Fybrile likes this.
  17. racooperii

racooperii Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I grabbed it and I'm in love.

It's the exact kind of game I was looking for.

Right now I'm trying to make some Units to afford a new ship or I'll happily try to find one...but I'm super picky as it needs to Look cool and have around 25 slots.

Fybrile and Jinzuku like this.
  18. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    I find the game a bit too slow paced for my liking. Although at the moment I'm accrediting that to the fact I'm still to get my hyperdrive. Hopefully once I fuel that bad boy the game will become more interesting.

19. racooperii

racooperii Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I've jumped to about 10 different star systems by now and I've picked up on a lot of the nuances in the game.

Hyperdrive let's you move on and explore new systems, found a dinosaur planet. Found a planet of floating continents, one with nothing but thick jungles as far as the eye could see or endless oceans.

It's really a sit back relax and enjoy the view kinda game.

One non-spoilery tip if you would prefer to discover the properties of the game is:

Explore planets for drop pods, you can purchase more inventory space this way. I'm up to 40 slots so far.

Jinzuku likes this.
  20. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    What should I look out for in order to find these? Do they have a specific icon when you do a local scan?