No diversity among characters?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oolen, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Oolen

Oolen Adventurer

Diablo 2 was special because every character, even the ones of the same class, were all unique and special. The different trees meant a sorceress could have wildly different play styles because of this.

Diablo 3 ruined this by making all the characters the same. There is no difference between any two characters of the same class, and there was no reason to make alts of the same class.

Point I'm trying to make is that is every black mage etc going to be the same? There aren't any trees, so besides having gear and the flawed stat point system, will there be any diversity among characters? Especially after the game is out for a while and many characters have multiple maxed level classes/jobs, will any characters be able to be different than everyone else?

Hope this all made sense, and thanks for taking the time to read this.

2. satou

satou Adventurer

I didn't exactly understand what you were trying to get at or communicate. Could you please elaborate on the points in which you wish to convey to the community and how mentioning the Diablo Franchise even remotely relates to what you are attempting to say?

Tarathiel and Fybrile like this.
  3. Oolen

Oolen Adventurer

I'm trying to compare other MMO's with skill trees and customization options to this game which doesn't seem to have any, paralleling that with Diablo 2, which was awesome and had customization, to Diablo 3 which didn't have any and was a disappointment as a result. You don't even have to read the diablo part to be able to answer the question, just look at the third paragraph if it's confusing.

Kaelemar and Arieko like this.
  4. Wes

Wes Adventurer

For each character, there is much more customization in FFXIV than any other MMO. The reason there aren't skill trees is because the class/sub-class system is already filling that function.

Brahma likes this.
  5. Nehym

Nehym Crystal Brave

Not mentioning the cross class skills which every player have to hand pick from whatever else they have leveled.

Brahma likes this.
  6. Oolen

Oolen Adventurer

Yes, but since one character will be able to level everything, won't two characters who took the time to level everything be theoretically the same? You can choose what cross-class skills to use, but since every job limits you in how you use them there won't be too much a difference.

Kaelemar likes this.
  7. This is neither Diablo 2 nor Diablo 3. Characters in those games have no specific role, so you mold it to whatever you want because it's an ARPG. In an MMO though, you need clear cut roles.

I, for one, am glad they chose not to give each class/job "specs", because what that eventually leads to is more homogenization (just like Diablo 3 and World of Warcraft). If you want to be DPS, be a DPS class. This game doesn't limit you in the slightest and there's no need to reroll characters. Just simply keep level a different class/job and have the gear set ready if you need to swap out.

Sword, Genesys16 and Luko like this.
  8. DuffMcD

DuffMcD Adventurer

Players will be able to customize their characters using skills from other classes they have leveled. Unfortunately though, jobs will be less customize-able, since they are supposed to fulfill a specific role and can pull skills from less classes. Fortunately though you do not need to level the job, you can just level the base class that you have customized and when you equip the job it will be the same level.

Here is the list of what skills can be cross-used for each job and class:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsPI9Wq6z6GwdHJEYmR0Qjk4QzV2SmYzVzhYTVdCSkE#gid=0

Mycroft likes this.
  9. Zoot

Zoot Crystal Brave

I see it like this. If two wizards from such and such game made an ice wizard, they are inherently going to be the same or remarkably similar. Having trees does not make everyone unique cause people can gravitate to one tree, and the others get thought of as inferior.

Final Fantasy in general, talking XI and XIV, rely on the ability of the player. Often times you might have 2 tanks of the same class, but be played drastically different. This could be due to skill, or how they chose to build cross class skills, or subjob in XI.

This is where uniqueness will come from in XIV. Breaking out of the norm and mixing skills with different skills. 2 people might look the same, but in a party they could function with either more ease or more stress. Just my thoughts.

10. Dragon

Dragon Scion

Even for those of us skeptical of Yoshida, we know one of the things this game will not lack is diversity.

We're going to be getting some form of 'vanity' slots eventually, and as shown in the "What Will Your Character Look Like?" thread, there's already quite a bit of diversity between each gender, tribe, & race themselves. Though on the other hand, it's illogical to think that "skill trees" necessarily diversify the character-base, it's rather how skill-trees are implemented & executed that may or may not determine a skilled diversification, with the potential of such hardly something any recent MMO has utilized.

However, what is going to differentiate two of any particular job is just like in FFXI: how well people are geared & their skill. There was always someone you knew for how good they were at playing the one specific role, as it should be. For instance on my first server, there were two tanks better than anyone else - their reputation as such: they both could tank as PLD & NIN, but one was the better PLD tank while the other was the better NIN tank.

FloDaddelt, Linda and Genesys16 like this.
  11. Luko

Luko Scion

All that crap is overrated anyway. Every MMO ends up with its widely used and demanded cookie cutter specs regardless of the illusion of diversity it presents on launch day.

I'd much rather have a single, dedicated class/job option where I can hone and perfect my skill/rotation rather than 5 variations of the same damn class that I've got to switch back and forth between every time they try to rebalance something.

I'm quite happy with the way things are.

12. Rejha

Rejha Adventurer

I think he was pretty clear. He was simply relating an RPG to an MMO RPG.

Arieko and Luko like this.
  13. seriousry

seriousry Crystal Brave

In D2 the builds are generally focused around maximizing one skill, which is set to your mouse click. Yes, there are many Sorceress builds in D2, but a Black Mage will have many useful abilities where a sorceress build will have only one or two. XIV leaves all the abilities on the table, while D2 makes you pick your favorite and scrapes the rest into a scrap bin. I think the uniqueness of D2 builds is overblown. It is essentially just picking a favorite skill to maximize.

The games are too different. D2 worked. I liked the game immensely and it was a game you could play with just your mouse. I don't think everything that worked in D2 would work for or be better for XIV.

XIV might just not be the game you're looking for OP. You are entitled to dislike it as much as I am entitled to like it.

Genesys16 and Luko like this.
  14. Oolen

Oolen Adventurer

I love the game. I never said anything about dis
    I love ARR, where exactly did I say I didn't like it?

Arieko and Grimus like this.
  15. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Tonberry
    Race, gender, hair colour, size, weapons, armor, minions, voice, mounts, stats and weapon skills and spells are not enough for me to choose from! I want diversity goddamnit!

Illithar likes this.
  16. Rejha

Rejha Adventurer

I really think we need to have a contest to find out who can find the single non-sarcastic post that Fybrile has made. xD

17. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Tonberry

Balaur, Linda and JMATAWWCL like this.
  18. JMATAWWCL

JMATAWWCL Moderator

Server:
    Mateus
    Impossible. Can't be done.

:D

As for me; having to choose my eye type, hair type, voice, eye color, facial hair, height, nose size, mouth type, tail or no rail (where applicable), ear type, amongst other physical traits; my job, abilities, current quest, party etc. has cluster f'd my mind enough. No more diversity, please :D :D

I got the irroooooooony!

Fybrile likes this.
  19. Dragon

Dragon Scion

Fybrile likes this.
  20. Kassatsu

Kassatsu Adventurer