Black Mage New skills?

Discussion in 'Disciples of Magic' started by Sai, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    Well with changes to Enochian thunder is far more viable now.
    And yes thundercloud proc is more potent then FireIV.
    The aoe rotation does feel weak that i agree with. I guess the nerfs really did a number on our rotation, but it really is not class breaking thankfully,lol
    My rotations are very similar to the guide a member has posted http://solitude.guildwork.com/_/aikaals-blm-guide
    Then again if i run with a tank i know i may just oops not use quelling, haha
    Our group likes to mess around like that at times
    Have you done Bismark and Ravana EX yet Sai?
    We do really well in those 2 fights, or at least myself and others have
    Sadly in Alex though the smn in our group does much more damage then me probably due to multi dots and such. In A1 anyhow, but i now run Alex as Bard at least until others in our group have that leveled or Machinist.
    My enochian uptime is around 97% or so right now but not all instances mind you

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    Sai likes this.
  2. Sai

Sai Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I'll definitely look into that guide more when I am not at work. Looks really well put together.

And no, I haven't tried bis ex or rav ex. Did do bis ex once but we didn't clear, I was healing that time tho so I didn't get to try to unleash hell upon those mobs. Sounds like a fun time though! Maybe someday I'll work up the courage to try a pf group but since I've never cleared I'll probably get booted.

Anyhow I'll continue to work on making sure to keep thunder active. :)

3. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    Oh both fights are fun.
    Our first try it was only myself and a FC smn that pulled over 700dps but now that we all know the fight better it is smoother :)
    I am however not going for the hive weapon (getting eso instead) but my Bard will have a hive weapon eventually

4. Sai

Sai Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    There is one change I would like them to make to our new set.....

If you're already midcast and your fire/ice/enocian fall off...can the cast not drop? ;o;

5. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    Omg yes, and even say midcast fireIv and sometimes getting interrupted cancels it out so you must first hit Fire1 before being able to cast FireIV again, very annoying.
    Have had that happen to me is bismark Ex once or twice

6. Skylock

Skylock Crystal Brave

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    First - sorry for the necro bump. I couldn't find any more recent threads and I figured to keep this going instead of starting a whole new thread for the same thing. ^_^

Second - I started playing BLM again, and I find this thread very informative about the somewhat confusing-to-me rotation. Has much changed in the past 10 months? Is there any thing of note that was changed or wasn't covered here? I am level 59, I'll be 60 tonight.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  7. Lucius Tinger

Lucius Tinger Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I like Scholars fairy with my BLM and AST with my BLM but I much prefer AST to SCH as the cards are beneficial to0 others than to just myself as I am not greedy ^_^

8. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    There has been some changes yes, even to flare. I would say to any newer blm out there, try to reach around 1K spell speed.
    So many fights we get the short end of the stick with leylines, sooo more spell speed, less the need to use it, lol
    I sit at over 1100 with food currently. More spell speed also = more attacks and damage.
    This guide, the later pages anyhow may be of use to you:
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/246796-Black-Mage-Sanctuary-A-Guide-to-DPS

Skylock likes this.
  9. Salem

Salem Adventurer

What type of equipment are you using to get to 1k spell speed? I've been trying to up mine with IV and V materia but the lore gear doesn't offer much of a starting point with spell speed.

10. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    For the most part the lore gear is not great, lol
    I have a mix of midan gear, crafted gear and Weeping City for chest piece, which is bis aside from Savage Chest. I did have the Crafted HQ Eikon Melded chest before this fully melded and it is actually very good.
    The lore chest, even Augmented is not good at all.
    Also i have lots of melds, lol
    This is my current set up, i would have melded more but alas my crafters are not all @ 60
    http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/UW9S

I also cannot or do not want to replace some of my gear yet because of all the materia i will loose, so waiting until i accumulate all this back :(

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    Skylock likes this.
  11. Lucius Tinger

Server:
    Brynhildr
    After playing as a BLK for a while now I feel i'm ready to put out some tips I learned by myself and from some friends.

1. You should ALWAYS BE CASTING SOMETHING (this means while performing mechanics, too.)

2. Every step you take should be thought out and reasoned for. Always find ways to minimize excessive movement, whether it be through AETHERIAL MANIPULATION, Sprint, or pre-positioning.

3. Fast target switching allows for uninterrupted casting, so practice it (e.g. A6S’s Brawler adds.)

4. THUNDER does more than you think. Try to keep it up as much as possible by casting it right after BLIZZARD III, even with a fast MP tick.

5. If you’re expecting to get hit by something that will interrupt your cast, use MANAWARD/WALL to mitigate the damage so it won’t (e.g. A7S’s Bombs/adds.)
    6. Losing ENOCHIAN should be rare, and if you do, you probably made a big mistake. It’s not worth casting an extra FIRE IV if you lose ENOCHIAN in the process – don’t be afraid to switch to UMBRAL ICE early.

7. Whenever possible, use the 30-second ENOCHIAN, LEY LINES, RAGING STRIKES, CONVERT, FOES w/ BATTLE VOICE, and an INT pot in conjunction for maximum effectiveness!

8. When returning to an ASTRAL FIRE phase, be very good at predicting your second MP tick. You should be
    timing your FIRE III so that the MP tick happens about halfway into the cast.

9. Don’t waste your ENOCHIAN durations for no reason. You should ideally never start an Astral Fire phase with just one tick worth of MP unless you are certain ENOCHIAN won't run out soon (which normally shouldn’t anyway) and can be recasted, or if the phase/fight is about to end.

10. ENOCHIAN usages should be strictly controlled in any particular fight in order to maximize uptime. Learn to plan these out. You shouldn’t be doing your 2.0 rotation for more than 15 seconds in any fight, provided it wasn’t a death that caused you to lose ENOCHIAN.

11. Don’t try to be fancy and use SHARPCAST in the middle of your fire rotation, stick with using it with ENOCHIAN.

12. Whenever mechanics force you to be unable to engage with the boss/adds for an extended period of time, put a THUNDER on them beforehand (e.g. A5S’s Boost.)

13. Using SHARPCAST THUNDER is a good idea for double-dotting two adds, with the extra bonus of doubling the chance for THUNDERCLOUD PROCS.

14. Don’t rely on SWIFTCAST to make up for your laziness to try to optimize positioning. SWIFTCAST usages should either be planned out beforehand or be used for emergencies.

15. Finishing a phase/add with BLIZZARD III allows you to quickly start the next phase/add with FIRE III and full MP (e.g. transitioning into A6S’s Brawler adds phase.)

16. Hard-casting FIRE III or BLIZZARD III should be avoided. Instead, use either SWIFTCAST or SHARPCAST, or refer to above tip.

17. Be smart about using TRANSPOSE. I’m not sure why but I see a lot of BLMs use TRANSPOSE randomly and unnecessarily. Just don’t. Pretend that you lose 100 DPS every time you press that button in the middle of rotations.

I hope this helps out some as it helped me out a good bit too.

Caimie Tsukino, Ish and Jinzuku like this.
  12. Caimie Tsukino

Caimie Tsukino Realm Scribe

Server:
    Zalera
    I'm learning BLM now, and these tips actually help! Thanks! :)

13. Lucius Tinger

Server:
    Brynhildr

Hooray!! I'm helping people with stuff!!!:joy:

I learned these tips after very long sessions with friends who wanted to have a contest about whether SMN or BLM or the better dps anyways I decided on BLM because I like my stick over a book makes a much better poking weapon than a slap of a hardback ya know ^_^

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017