New People Bring New Problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spokey Dokey, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Spokey Dokey

Spokey Dokey Crystal Brave

Server:
    Ultros
    I'm not sure if I am just more aware of it because it seems to be the talk of the town lately, or if it is something that 3.0 has brought to the table, but has anyone else been experiencing a lot of rude shenanigans? I am sure this has been brought up here in the past, but whatever. No, I'm not here to talk about how 80% of the DPS population has forgotten how to DPS (it is because they never knew in the first place and let gear carry them). Instead I'd like to focus on people being inconsiderate and downright rude.

Some recent examples:

1.) I am leveling my second class to 60, a Bard. I only need to run a certain dungeon one last time (thank god). After a long queue, go figure, my group eventually kills the first boss. The tank levels up--ding! He quits. We wait for about 15 minutes, no one joins. We are forced to leave and all re-queue.

2.) Having already gathered my Alexander loot for the week I thought I would be nice and help my friend get hers. Enter: Alexander Floor 2 (A2/F2). We wipe twice--not a big deal. However, on the second wipe I noticed something was off while healing one of the Tanks. Hm. Eventually someone votes to abandon. Why you ask? Because the Tank's gear broke. "I came in here with 20%. I thought that would be enough."

3.) I was collecting an item that a certain mob drops. There are six (6) of these mobs in the area. The drop rate is terrible. In comes another player. This player is a SMN and he has a friend; clearly they are in a party, working together to get the same item I need/want--no big deal, they will take three and I'll take three. This way, no one has to fight over anything and it'll be a smooth affair. This did not turn out this way. I proposed the idea, rather politely, that each of us take a set. In came an endless string of insults. The discussion got so out of hand that I felt the need to take a screenshot of it (too lazy to upload it at the moment).

I cannot be alone in this. . . Again, I am not sure if I am just more aware of it because everyone seems to be talking about a new wave of idiots. Who knows, maybe it has always been like this although surely I would have noticed given how much damn time I spend playing this game. . .

Fiona likes this.
  2. azrieal Moza

azrieal Moza New Member

Server:
    Faerie

I have experienced alot of it myself.. I'm a Bard that's my only class and in almost every dungeon I've been in I have been insulted and voted off.. Here's the thing I'm lvl 53 with 125lvl equipment if I'm so terrible how did I get where I am.. I belong to a free company and have had some help along the way but 98% I've done alone.. Why can't people just play and have fun..

3. Hermes

Hermes Scion

Yaaa, I think HW might be the death knell for me soon... ARR was a lot more jovial... Now the gamers seem sort of overly mean to each other...

4. Sai

Sai Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Aww that's all so sad to hear from all of you!

I haven't really seen anything of the sort besides during hunts cuz someone always "pulls early". But overall I feel most ppl I run into are quite friendly. I can ask the random stranger a question and they'll usually answer.

5. wildbillhdmax01

wildbillhdmax01 Bounty Hunter II

Server:
    Mateus
    Wow that tank is a piece of s**t. I'm sorry, but no f**k that finish the run. Don't just quit.

Why would anyone come in knowing their gear is so broken? Why wouldn't you just repair it before joining a run? WTF? Why?

6. lightfairy287

lightfairy287 New Member

Server:
    Faerie
    I'm a BRD and I haven't had any grief from groups that I've been in. I guess you just haven't been so lucky. :(

People on Diabolos are quite nice, I have yet to run into any rude ones.

7. praysolace

praysolace Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I do think the trolls have come out of the woodwork. Other than hunt early pullers and the subsequent hunt /shout fights, though, I haven't run into anything spectacularly douchey on my home server, only in the DF. Like a guildie of mine who LL Rouletted into Haukke NM as a healer and had to deal with a Marauder tank who insisted that his way of holding aggro was "more fun" and wouldn't listen to advice... and that method was "Flash once, and then apply Fracture." Guildie couldn't boot him either because he came in with two enabler DPS.

The level of derp has definitely gone up. I keep thinking it has to level out eventually though. I mean, if you're that dumb, eventually you'll either learn or quit, right...?

racooperii, delta5ff, Maaja and 2 others like this.
  8. wildbillhdmax01

Server:
    Mateus
    We can only hope.

praysolace and Spokey Dokey like this.
  9. Bizant

Bizant Scion

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I think people place too much importance on toxicity etc. in the community. It's just like real life to me. There are idiots and rude, obnoxious tools everywhere. You learn to not be bothered by it in real life. You should be able to shake it off when it happens in the game. Even more so, in fact. So some nerd with no life is taking the game too seriously and acting like a moron? It's more funny than anything. 99% of the time, I find it genuinely funny. And some moron is shouting at you for proposing you share out the mobs? Even more funny. He's probably trying to assert some kind of aggressive dominance to compensate for a real life insecurity. Laugh at him, tell him to stop over-compensating, and move to a different area.

As for the 20% gear thing, I'd say just chill out a bit on that one :funnyguy: Once again, it's kind of funny, and it's easily done, to be honest. I'm sure I've gone into a run with slightly less "gear HP" than I should have. So just generally, don't take things too seriously. Have fun and let the douchebags be douchebags. They don't need to ruin your day. Or even one single minute.

MiKairi, Jinzuku, racooperii and 4 others like this.
  10. PrincessNewb

PrincessNewb Crystal Brave

Was about to complain about this jerk SMN in DV last night that asked if I was distracted because I "wasn't contributing" (I took like 5 seconds to tell an FC member I would run DV again with him when I was done), then proceeded to antagonize me and paste my DPS stats from his parser into party chat... But then Biz made me realize him taking the game so dang seriously is pretty funny. XD

Bizant likes this.
  11. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Haven't seen much of it myself, and I've been DFing a lot. I do derp, but I'm pretty forthright about it and people are pretty patient, maybe I'm just lucky.

I have heard about it though--people pasting parse in party chat to try and make someone feel bad, etc. There will always be people who are self-centred and/or will try and put you down to make themselves feel better.

12. Bizant

Bizant Scion

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Haha now that's a prime example! Why's this guy in such a rush? Is he a world-class surgeon with critical patients waiting for life-saving treatment? No, he's going to go and get some more exp for his game character. The idea of this guy's time being so valuable that he can't spare a few seconds is just hysterical.

PrincessNewb likes this.
  13. Sai

Sai Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Hmm I'd actually be interested in seeing parse numbers tho probably not when some dick was trying to shove them in my face to prove that I suck or something.

I wonder if I just get really lucky cuz even in DF most ppl I run into are generally really nice. I've met some really cool ppl that I'm so sad to find that they're on a diff server.

PrincessNewb and GeekMatt like this.
  14. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I would like to know my own parse sometimes, but parsing is tricky business. Talking openly about it is likely to offend people--so you may restrict it to only people who ask outright, but even some of them can't deal with the response even if their parse wasn't all that bad. Very few people are capable of handling it responsibly, and it involves a whole lot of keeping it to yourself, IMO.

It could also sour the game for you. "Is this MNK really DPSing that low in an endgame raid?" which leads to silly ideas like "if our DPS wasn't at X during this phase then we can't beat the trial" /disband

Can't tell you how many times I've seen groups brutally fail a simple DPS check, and after a couple attempts, burn it down with time to spare. People get anxious and confused with new content, and there's information missing in the numbers.

...would still have a parser if I could, but it wouldn't see regular use.

Caimie Tsukino and kotorinbo like this.
  15. praysolace

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Personally I'm not sure if I'd want to know my parser numbers or not... rather than just taking it as a learning opportunity I think I'd feel inadequate and get really discouraged. And then even if I did pick myself back up and improve I'd still feel inadequate XD

Laventious, PrincessNewb and GeekMatt like this.
  16. Dakidd Piff

Dakidd Piff Adventurer

Server:
    Adamantoise
  17. Hermes

Hermes Scion

I hope you took a screen shot.
    That's about as good as a "harassment" complaint as you could get

PrincessNewb and Sai like this.
  18. praysolace

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Lol plus parsing is *technically* against the TOS sooooo... *cracks knuckles and grins evilly*

PrincessNewb, etherealskies and Sai like this.
  19. wildbillhdmax01

Server:
    Mateus
    Okay i'm stupid. What's this "parsing" thing?

Fiona likes this.
  20. PrincessNewb

PrincessNewb Crystal Brave

Lolol I did report him, haven't heard back yet from SE though. Had to ask FC wether I should file it under "Harassment" or "Cheating" since it was technically both...