New Jobs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aelwyna, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Aelwyna

Aelwyna Adventurer

Server:
    Balmung
    Hi everyone !
    I'm coming back to this (excellent) game after some time away, and I'm confused about the new Classes/Jobs system o_O
    Previously, iirc, you had to have one Class at 30 and another one at 15 to be able to take a Quest that would grant you a Crystal that you would use to get a Job. And you could switch between your Classes and your Jobs.
    But now, some of my base Classes seem to have disappeared from my Class window (like Gladiator or Conjurer) and I only see my Jobs (Paladin and White Mage for exemple).
    Let's say I want to become a Bard, what should I do now ? Do I only need to level Archer ? And when I'm a Bard, will my Archer Class disappear too ?
    Any help on that would be really appreciated, thanks ! :)

Fybrile likes this.
  2. Bobbin Threadbare

Bobbin Threadbare Adventurer

Server:
    Masamune
    Welcome back.

Classes are a thing in the past, 1.0 tbh, so they're kinda useless post 2.0. When you get job crystals, immediately use them. Also, those has been reworked and now players can get job crystal without sub-job requirements anymore. Just level your basic classes to 30 and get their respective job crystals. Easy as that. Skill point (yes, these also introduces back in 1.0 as well) assignment has been abolished as well, just need old way of leveling. Your old classes still there however, just kinda pointless, rumour has it that there's plans to remove those base classes at future 5.0, might've already confirmed from recent fanfest live letter. Either way, classes nowadays are, again, pointless.

Jobs introduced since 3.0 doesn't have their base classes anymore, so when you unlock them, you get their respective job crystal immediately. 3.0 introduces dark knight (tank), astrologian (healer), machinist (ranged DPS sharing BRD gear sets). 4.0 introduces samurai (melee, sharing MNKs) & red mage (caster). Players however, requires to reach their respective expansion MSQ to unlock them, so if you're kinda in a bit hurry, mogshop sells jump potions which makes players skipping all those hundreds of tedious old MSQ up to either 3.0 or 4.0 (think both are sold separately, cmiiw).

Additional note that per recent patch 4.5 has introduced brand new Blue Mage job. ATM this job are treated differently since this one are categorized as limited job, one of main rule is one cannot roll in duty finder solo or even roulettes, can only enter with pre-made parties. And this job has very unique skill system, somewhere akin to their FF11 counter-part. And as this moment, BLU level cap is 50, unlike old jobs which has level cap of 70 ATM. If you still happen to kept those old lvl 50 caster gear, BLU can use them, although BLU did get their i130 AF gears from their respective job quests (sans belt & accessories). Personally suggest against getting this job soon with reasons above, especially if you don't have your 1st level 70 jobs and/or trying to catch up contents, it's all up to you though.

Fybrile, Caimie Tsukino and Aelwyna like this.
  3. Aelwyna

Aelwyna Adventurer

Server:
    Balmung
    Woah, thanks a lot for this very comprehensive answer !

Alright then, so Jobs are now just the extension of Classes, that you're supposed to take when you're level 30 in each of your Classes ?
    Kinda like an Advanced Class ;)
    So I guess you just have to go to your Class trainer in your Guild when you reach 30, and he's gonna give you the Quest to get the appropriate Crystal ?

But about the classless Jobs that you're talking about in 3.0, what does "expansion MSQ" mean ?

And that brings me to another question : what would be the less painful way to level your Class to 30 ?
    Because I remember that, except for a few Class-specific Quests that were actually very fun, when I wanted to level up my Classes to get some Jobs I found myself doing the same Leves over and over again ... is there a more "fun" way to level up now ?

Thanks !

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Caimie Tsukino likes this.
  4. Caimie Tsukino

Caimie Tsukino Realm Scribe

Server:
    Zalera
    Pretty much. You will usually find a quest there that leads you to a different "master" located somewhere else. Then you will continuously go back to visit that new master located in that new area.

The "expansion" in Bobbin's response referred to the specific expansion that introduced the particular class. For instance, for Dark Knight (DRK), Astrologian (AST) and Machinist (MCH), the expansion would be Heavensward (HW). You will need to reach that point of the Main Story Questline (MSQ) in Heavensward in order to have access to these classes. That means, if you haven't finish the very last quest of A Realm Reborn (ARR) yet, you won't be able to enter Ishgard, and of course you won't be able to unlock DRK/AST/MCH. As for Samurai (SAM) and Red Mage (RDM), these were introduced in the Stormblood (SB) expansion. So you must complete both ARR and HW MSQ, and reach a certain point of SB before you have access to SAM and RDM.

Dungeons is much more fun than Battle Leves. You can learn how to utilize the class better by participating in party activities via the Duty Finder. Getting into an FC is also a very beneficial move, as it provides people who can queue together with you, teach you how to play etc. Furthermore, FC buffs can let you gain up to 10% more exp in battles, significantly enhances you leveling speed. Remember to use food as well to gain an extra 3% EXP, and remember to log off from FC house or Inns to gain resting bonus EXP (the blue exp bar gives you double exp in battle).

5. Aelwyna

Aelwyna Adventurer

Server:
    Balmung
    Ah ok, so MSQ is Main Storyline Quest, thanks !
    I'm a bit far from unlocking those new Jobs then, as my highest level is 31 in Paladin, I'm actually impressed by your signature with all those level 70 ;)
    How do you generate such a signature btw ?

And yes, Battle Leves can become a bit boring after a while, I'll try to do some more Dungeons, and join a FC, but as I'm not a regular player (real life gets in a way a lot), some FCs don't like to have inactive characters for too long, which I can totally understand...

Thanks for all the advices !

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Bobbin Threadbare likes this.
  6. delta5ff

delta5ff Scion

I could be wrong as I've never not been up-to-date when an expansion has launched, bit I thought you only needed to be level 50 and have completed the two eight man main scenario dungeons.

I don't think you needed any of Heavensward completed is because you needed access to Ishgaurd first. But with the SB jobs been in the original city states (both in Ul-Dah I believe) you don't need access to the new expansion areas to get to the job trainers.

I think the new Shadowbringers (SB2?) Will be similar as the only one confirmed so far starts in Gridania. But with them starting at level 60 I don't know if there will be any requirements beyond been level 60.

7. Bobbin Threadbare

Server:
    Masamune
    These advice are much useful for leveling your extra jobs, since for your 1st, MSQ & side quest already supplied you more than enough xp to cap them (unless you shared their xp rewards to various classes/jobs, might not be bad idea if you would have surplus xp on your 1st job):
    For levelling, midway 3.0, we are introduced to new content which is Deep Dungeons. For 3.0 we have Palace of the Dead/PotD, which is great for leveling between 1-60, and then Heaven on High/HoH for 60-70.

PotD are located at South Shroud & I think unlock requirements is level 15, while HoH unfortunately located at 4.0 zones which obviously requires player to do 4.0 MSQ around halfway until unlocking said zone, which is Ruby Sea. For further info about deep dungeon, please check here and follow their respective guides for either PotD or HoH.

Even with that, just spamming daily roulettes should give you huge amount of xp, especially if you don't have many hours per day. Deep dungeon has many floors & players can't leave until at least 10 floors are cleared which they could either record their progress & continue to next 10 floors or reset to floor 1, upside is that while roulettes bonus are daily limited, one can spam deep dungeon to their heart content.

Before doing all that, for 2.0 class/jobs, don't forget your hunting log. They also give huge xp & also kinda useless if you already capped your level, so take advantage of them very early on. 3.0 onward don't have to worry about this though since there's no list of hunting logs for them.

Also a bit bonus: the game also introduced sightseeing log, basically requires players to climb unusual vantage point of sights called vista and do certain emotes which also might requires certain weather & condition as well. They also gave xps, & can be comparatively big depending on your current level. If you decide to do this, don't forget change to jobs still needing xp before doing emotes to complete it. There are many throughout 2.0 to 4.0 zones, please refer to here to unlock said feature along with comprehensive list of places you can go for it. Most of 3.0 onward zones requires flight mode, so best wait till you unlock flight on that zone before trying to get those vistas. ;)

You might be right for 4.0 jobs, need confirmation though.
    As for upcoming 5.0, I don't think they would start at any of 2.0 zones. 4.0, which either Ala Mhigo, Yanxia, or Azim Steppe might've best candidate for entrance since the zones are located between those two anyways.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  8. delta5ff

delta5ff Scion

DyY9EpjUwAAam8v.jpg
    The first job, Gunbreaker (a tank) is alread confirmed as starting in Gridania in the last fanfest

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Bobbin Threadbare likes this.
  9. Bobbin Threadbare

Server:
    Masamune
    ah right... Didn't notice you were talking strictly about job quest. Thx for confirming that though. My earlier comment was about MSQ starter for 5.0 & I think it still stands as is. ;)