New and checking things out

Discussion in 'Brynhildr' started by Redbear, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Redbear

Redbear New Member

Hello,

Long time WoW/Everquest/Ragnarok Online player looking for an MMO. Been considering going back to WoW for the new xpac but have always been curious about the FF MMOs. Long time fan starting with FF2 (4) on my Super Nintendo just never played either 11 or 14.

Wondering how people feel about the game so far and looking for an active online community. Been fiddling around on the free trial so far, only gotten to level 5 on a pugilist on Cactuar so haven't experienced much. Trying to decide if I want to upgrade to full game. Love the look of the game and may be down for something fresh.

2. Yosuke

Yosuke Crystal Brave

Well the game is really fun once u get a group of ppl to play or chat. I did soloing for a long time and its a big difference whne u start making friends. When it comes to content the game tends to reapeat itself sometimes but the primals, coil, second coil, and other endgame content are very interesting when it comes to mechanics.
    You picked the hardest class (imo) to start but there lies the challenge of the dps. You will love pugilist and eventually monk. So if u want to upgrade I would say try another month, feel the game as a whole (crafting, lvling classes, hunting, completing challenges, getting cross class skills, gearing up) and then pick if u wanna pay another month. For your mmo experience lvling the main story quest wont be hard.

3. Redbear

Redbear New Member

Rolling a lancer on Brynhildr, gonna see how it goes. Wish me luck.

praysolace likes this.
  4. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Good luck, hope you enjoy it. It's my first mmorpg but I've been here a year now and the more experienced players tend to have a lot of good to say about the game and it's community, other than the occasional disagreement over a new patch. Also the community apparently is not like people are accustomed to in other games, in the sense that public chat isn't a big thing. Most talking tends to go on in your party, personal tells, FC or LS chat, or even through voice applications like TS3. However with more open world content lately, such as Hunts, we've been seeing more and more public chat.

Lancer's a good starting class, it's a little more versatile than monk, and people seem to like its story. I personally prefer tank/healer styles of play. This game does allow for quite a bit of solo-play but you'll want to find a group at some point, either a LS (LinkShell) which is just a chat channel with a specific focus such as forming dungeon parties, which you can have up to 8 at one time, or a FC (Free Company) which in other games would be a guild or clan and you can only be in one.

5. praysolace

praysolace Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    /wave As part of the Bryn Brigade, I welcome thee. Shoot me a friend request if you ever see me on, I'm working on leveling a healer so I can help with queue times :p

6. Shiroe Shirogane

Shiroe Shirogane Crystal Brave

Is that like a bucket brigade?

7. praysolace

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Yes, only we pass around the Off-Topic Commentary Bucket. Frequently in circles.

8. Mistral Chambanwey

Mistral Chambanwey Adventurer

Welcome, Redbear! Glad to see you dove in quickly after consideration :) I really like FF and find it user-friendly relative to other MMOs, and the community is really friendly. Bryn is quiet compared to other servers, but I think the quietude is a good thing - not as much competition for grinding spots or requirements, for example.

I solo'ed for the first part of the game myself and still found it lots of fun! The LS for this forum is active and a great way to meet good folks on Bryn, and there are always Free Companies (guilds) looking to recruit) (mine included - The News Team, don't need to like "Anchorman" to apply XD).

My IGN is Mistral Chambanwey - send me a message and friend request! I just started a tank alt and would be happy to help with lower level quests and dungeons!

9. Redbear

Redbear New Member

Still on the free trial and hit 12 on my lancer Red Bear. Not really sure how to friend people yet since I haven't fiddled around much with the UI yet to figure anything other than fighting and putting on equipment :p

10. praysolace

Server:
    Brynhildr
    There's a player search function in the menu, and once you've found somebody through that, you can... probably right-click? Or if you're on console press square to get the mini-menu that includes "send friend request." Only works when people are online though, otherwise they won't show up! :)