Need/Greed etiquette, from a MRD/GLD POV

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JeckylTesla, Aug 23, 2013.

1. xusha

xusha Well Known Member

...What?
  2. Cynessae

Cynessae Active Member

I don't understand what you're saying here. No one can "get the loot first". Anything that is not gear is randomly dropped into someone's inventory.
    xusha likes this.
  3. Cyn Romanace

Cyn Romanace Content Moderator Content Moderator

Not sure what you want us to say?

Sorry the RNG on your rolls sucks?

Better luck next time champ?

Even when rolling need or greed its completely chance if you are rolling off against someone. Like I said before, it is not the responcibility of the other players to insure you recive loot.
    xusha likes this.
  4. Grembo

Grembo Active Member

Clues in the word Greed guys, it's pretty selfish behaviour. It just makes more sense to me to consider the other players i'm with and only roll when something comes up that I need for my current class.

Rolling greed/need on every single item obviously irks people otherwise we wouldn't have so many disconnects during our dungeon trips. Not something i'm terribly fussed about either way, me and my bro are usually in hysterics by the time we've lost our 4 - 5th item.

eh?

From memory. Not all gear loot spawns upon clearing mobs sadly.
  5. xusha

xusha Well Known Member

I'm sorry Grembo but you do not know what you're talking about.
    Need = Priority
    Greed = Fair Role
    Pass = Not rolling.

It does not irk anyone if you roll greed.
    People were disconnected because of errors. It was the beta, of course there would be people disconnecting.
  6. Cyn Romanace

Gunna be a long miserable ride for you then becuse the very design for the need/greed system is if you need it you have priority, if you greed it then you have an equal chance with everyone else who rolled greed.

You are at this point trying to make us seem like bad people for playing by the rules and your lack of good RNG in terms of your own rolls. This is not my problem nor the problem of the rest of the games community.
    xusha likes this.
  7. Cynessae

Cynessae Active Member

Your statement still doesn't make sense. Loot dropped off a mob is randomly given to a player (as in, the game does this, no one has control over it). Non-gear loot from chests (like the bronze, silver, gold pieces, etc.) is randomly given to a player (again, the game does this, no one has control over it).

All gear drops cause the need/greed/pass window to pop up, and regardless what you roll, it's still the "luck of the draw" unless no one else rolls with your option. All need rolls battle against each other, all greed rolls do, as well.

No one can "get loot first". So, either you're mis-informed about how loot is distributed, or you mis-typed and that isn't what you meant.

Just FYI, I completely agree with you. I understand that it's the "luck of the roll", so to speak, to the point @Cyn Romanace was making, but that doesn't mean you have to be a jerk about it. Like I said initially, I will eventually start passing if I happen to win two greed items in a row. I will also tend to either greed or pass if I already won at least one need item in that dungeon. But, the odds of me winning two in a row with a greed roll doesn't seem to be very high, from what I can tell.
  8. JeckylTesla

JeckylTesla Active Member

The whole point of this thread was me thinking I could not roll need on Disciple of War plate gear as a tank, which I was wrong baout, since they were 99% most probably medium armour.

If everyone greeds, it's down to the rolling.

Using your logic, it's also unfair if items that can only be used by classes other than yours drop the most in one dungeon.

For example, if you were a GLD. And throughout a dungeon group, 90% of the drops were for THM/spell casters only. You can't roll need on them, so that too is unfair, if we use your logic.
    Grembo likes this.
  9. Grembo

Grembo Active Member

Yes no one is irked when they actually type in the party chat (shortly before dropping from the game) expressing anger when they roll need on something and lose out to someone who rolls greed on everything for the third time in a row.

That Beta must have been mad buggy.

Sorry if it came across that way, I was just merely trying to chime in with my opinion. You guys were eager to disagree with me every time I posted, whereas I was merely trying to discuss what I saw in open beta.

Real life friends will be picking the game up at launch so don't worry about me being too msierable.
  10. JeckylTesla

I ran multiple dungeons, in multiple phases and that hasn't happened ot me once. It's the first time I've even heard of it.
    Grembo likes this.
  11. Cyn Romanace

The unfortuinate thing in this reguard is the bosses and first few dungeons share a loot table with a added items along the way. So RNG can be pretty unfair in this reguard.

Did a sastashia run in which only plate armor dropped in the entire place and on two boss enounters it was the same pair of gloves.
    Grembo and Cynessae like this.
  12. Grembo

Grembo Active Member

Seen it happen quite a bit, even happened when me and my bro were rolling need too.

I'm not saying you guys shouldn't roll need & greed whenever you can, i'm just discussing what I saw in open beta.
  13. Cyn Romanace

I think there were a few things lossed in translation with wording used. If I seemed a little harsh my apologies it just felt like what we tryed to explain the same question a couple times over when infact it seems it was simply an opinion on ethics and conduct.

Anywho, it is unfortuinately a roll of the dice as well on what kind of people you will get in your group too. sometimes people will allow for even dispersion of loot other times they will greed to their hearts content.
    Grembo likes this.
  14. xusha

xusha Well Known Member

Oh my gosh, it is pointless to explain how the actual need/greed system works to you.
    You just cannot understand what it is. Okay, some people get mad for losing a roll to someone else. People get pissed off thinking the loot is for them, no one else.

If you roll NEED, you go up against others who rolled NEED.
    If you rolled GREED and someone else rolled NEED, your roll won't count.

In other terms
    A,B,C,D are in a dungeon. An item that can be used only by C drops.
    C is able to roll NEED because it is for their class. A, B, D CANNOT roll NEED. So therefore they either PASS or GREED. Sense C rolled NEED, the NEED is PRIORITY so they WIN it. Meaning that those who rolled GREED don't get to battle it out.
    Now if an item that drops and no one can use it. A,B,C,D will either roll GREED or PASS. For this sake, they will all roll GREED. Whoever rolls the highest number WINS it.

Now if A and D are able to roll on an item and B and C can't. A and D will hit NEED (for the sake of this example). B and C will hit GREED or PASS. To make it easier on you, here is the rolling;
    A (NEED): 78
    B (GREED): 100
    C (GREED): 90
    D (NEED): 90
    Who wins it? D WINS IT.
    Grembo likes this.
  15. Grembo

Grembo Active Member

Cheers for the explanation xusha but it's not needed, I know how the system intends to work. Doesn't change the fact that I saw people rolling greed and taking priority over folk who roll need (multiple times on occasion) though.

Nor am I convinced that people getting visibly upset then dropping from the game were actually errors with the beta but oh well :rolleyes:
  16. JeckylTesla

Well, if the system was not working as it intended to do, then it IS a problem with the beta then, no?
    xusha likes this.
  17. carlos8787

carlos8787 Member

I persionally love how they done the Need/Greed system. Cant need unless you can equip it. I love it!
    Cynessae and xusha like this.
  18. Grembo

Grembo Active Member

Yeah, I guess the rolling could have been an error with the beta. Either way people weren't dropping because of a connection error as stated.
  19. Casamyr

Casamyr Member

Maybe I'm just too nice. I roll Need on anything my GLD can use and simply pass on everything else. I don't see the point in rolling greed for things that I can't use, even if I want to spirit bond it for materia - it would mean that classes who really need it are missing out. Of course, if they really need it then a Greed roll for me shouldn't have any affect, then why waste my time doing it, i'd rather just pass and continue on.
    Grembo likes this.
  20. Darkwes

Darkwes Member

There's another thing. If you already have that item, you can't roll need or greed, even if it is for you class. If that happens and the other ppl hit pass, the item goes to no1...
    xusha likes this.