Multiboxing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thyristor, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Thyristor

Thyristor Member

Hello everyone.

I've been doing quite a bit of multiboxing in previous MMOs with varying degrees of success depending on the mmo in question and after playing the beta phase 3 of FFXIV:ARR I've sort of figured out that this game might have what it takes to be one of those games that work really well when it comes down to multiboxing.

For those who do not know what multiboxing is;
    You are merely using software or hardware to send one keypress on a keyboard/mouse to multiple clients. One person is the one making all the decisions unlike some people seem to believe when they come across multiboxers. A lot of people believe them to be bots using software to powerlevel etc. which is not the case in most situations.

I mainly have two questions to decide wether or not I will be buying multiple copies of the game or if I should just keep my one CE copy:

1:
    Has there been any words from the devs on what they think about running multiple clients at once (if even possible due to the launcher etc)?
    2:
    How advanced the ingame macro system is (a huge factor of success when it comes to multiboxing in targetbased MMO)? Can I i.e. make a macro to make a character target the same target as a specific member of the group?

Regards from my old shaman team back in wow :)
    Show Spoiler

Is four enough.jpg
  2. fluttersnipe

fluttersnipe Active Member

Why exactly do you need to multi-box though?
  3. ThadeusStern89

ThadeusStern89 Active Member

Regarding your second point, yes I believe you can. There's a target of target macro <tt> I think.
  4. Thyristor

Thyristor Member

Because I like the challenge that comes with it. Managing multiple characters at once is an experience unlike any other in MMOs and the feeling you get when you actually clear a hard dungeon on your own can only be compared to beating a boss you've been working with a group of other people for weeks to manage.

That said I play quite a lot more than most people and I will probably play one character through the main story to max level (scholar seems most interesting atm) while fishing on the side and do dungeons with a free company etc.

After I've reached endgame with one character I'll probably have a lot of game time to spare while most others aren't playing that much and will move on to get a feel of the different classes that to see which classes accompany each other well skill-wise before I actually start leveling up a set of characters.
    fluttersnipe likes this.
  5. Fybrile

Fybrile Moderator

/checks Thyristor's intended server
    /breathes a sigh of relief
  6. ThadeusStern89

ThadeusStern89 Active Member

Is multiboxing frowned upon?
  7. Fybrile

Fybrile Moderator

No. That was just a test to see if there could be a post where you weren't the first to reply. I just lost 50 bucks.
    Nako-Chan, Najla, Grimus and 5 others like this.
  8. Thyristor

Thyristor Member

Depends on the community really.

Back in wow I got a few angry people yelling at me from time to time after my 5 shamans had nuked them down in a matter of seconds in a battleground while others were just curious to how I was doing it or just thought it looked awesome.
    In EvE online I rarely even got a comment about having multiple accounts as it is fairly common there.
  9. Fybrile

Fybrile Moderator

Think about it like this: You're settling into a nice gaming session. Figure you're gonna do some BGs - or in the case of FFXIV, Frontlines - and there you are, running to get the mine or the lumber yard, and you come across a small train of warlocks who are - ostensibly - 1 player with 5 times as many health points, 5 times as many lives, and 5 times as many attacks as you have. For every hit you make, he makes 5.

Sound fun to anyone except the multiboxer?
    Nako-Chan, Amaranthia and Grimus like this.
  10. Thyristor

Thyristor Member

To the both of you:

There is a really easy way to disable a multiboxer. Most people just don't know of it and therefore feels helpless.

Almost all multiboxers play with one main char and multiple followers. If you disable the main char (as in putting them to sleep, stunning etc) there will be a very good chance the multiboxer will start fumbling like an idiot trying to rearrange the chars to regain control from another char.

Secondly in most MMOs you've got a limited number of individuals on each side. If one person plays lets say 5 of them you've basically got a well coordinated group of 5 chars with the drawback of them not being able to split up if needed.
  11. Fybrile

Fybrile Moderator

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining about multiboxing. I'll be the first to fight for your right to pay for 5 subs to play 5 characters in FFXIV:ARR. As Clonk said, it's what you do when you want to pay to win and the devs haven't given you that option. It's fully within the terms of service as far as I know. And, to each his or her own! But, I won't lose a wink of sleep if SE bans it outright.

Now, to answer your questions, they haven't said anything about running multiple clients as far as I know, but I don't expect they'll have a problem with it. You will need to buy multiple copies of the game, and pay multiple subs, because you won't be able to use the same account. As for the in-game macro system, it's top notch. You won't find anything you need missing as far as I can see.
    Thyristor likes this.
  12. Thyristor

Thyristor Member

Haven't played LoL I'm afraid.

To counter that argument though I'm mostly an objective based player.

Take Alterac Valley in wow as an example; You have several objectives on the other teams half of the map to make it easier for your team to take out their leader which is at the very end of their half. Most of the time I went in and took objectives and made sure they weren't recaptured before venturing down to help with taking out the leader.
    Most of the time it worked well while other times I met a group of individuals who knew exactly how to deal with multiboxers and I practically became 5 disoriented players stumbling around.
  13. Vamped

Vamped Administrator

I am personally not a fan of multiboxing in this sense. What do you really get out of it? The gratification of "pew pew moar lazer beamz"? You certainly don't get respect from the community. I definitely don't want you on my team in sense of PVP (or PVE for that matter).

You even say it yourself, that multiboxing is pointless without an elaborate and in-depth macro system. So I am confident in saying that multiboxing requiring more skill is a stretch.

Are you really providing more value to the team by multiboxing 5 characters, rather than playing one and letting 4 others join you?

I suppose I didn't answer your questions. Yes, multiple clients will be possible, and yes the macro system will allow you to do anything you need.
    Nako-Chan, garion and Clonk like this.
  14. Thyristor

Thyristor Member

Wether you like it or not is up to you. I am fully aware that some people really hate to see multiboxers while others actually think they are a breath of fresh air to see someone with a different playstyle to most.

Actually the only thing I need is the ability to target another persons target, that is all. The rest comes down to setup and how easy you are able to make it.
    In some cases you can make it easy for yourself by rolling identical chars of a class who can do most stuff on their own.
    What I did for PvE content in other MMOs is roll a tank, a healer and X different DDs (depending on group size). Now try making all of them work as well as a group of individuals. That is the challenge. And yes I enjoy it very much.

No, but I am stating that I can achieve most things _as well as_ a group of 5 individuals. I can do perfectly synchronized attacks, stuns etc but I can not split up while multiboxing. Hence why I do not play i.e. a 10 man battle because it would ruin our teams ability to hold multiple positions unless the game has serious flaws and it's all about defending one key position where the game practically becomes a clusterf**k of spamming damage at each other and no tactics.

Thank you at least for the informative answer.
    I sort of get the sense that you really didn't like this post coming up :p
  15. Orien

Orien Well Known Member

Awesome job at turning an MMO game into a single player game. Sounds like you've taken away 95% of the point of the game.

Multiboxing is usually for bads that can't work properly with others or farmers.

Lol ya people really think multiboxers are a breath of fresh air. Especially when 75% of them are farmers who are contributing to ruining the game.
    Grimus likes this.
  16. Fybrile

Fybrile Moderator

Honestly, shouldn't come as a surprise. I can't see anyone running around and coming across a silly train of elves called "asdf1, asdf2. asdf3, etc," and thinking to themselves: "Oh, golly! What a breath of fresh air! A player who totally misses the point of multiplayer games! I genuinely appreciate this unique, and not-at-all-like-an-offline-rpg playstyle. I'm so super glad he's taking up 5 spaces in the BG queue!"
    garion likes this.
  17. Sithius

Sithius Active Member

I'm cool with 2 characters. Anymore and it is really getting annoying and stupid. Better off playing a single player game at that point.
  18. Vamped

Vamped Administrator

Both my opinion and my decision to play with a multiboxer are indeed up to me (as far as I know?).

As Orien said, why bother play a MMO? If you enjoy it, then it's all good in the neighborhood. I firmly believe that it is your subscription to do whatever you would like with it. As for a challenge? I guess that is just a matter of perspective.

First word says it all.

I have no opinion on the fact that it was posted, just on the topic on hand. It sounds like you were already familiar with the general negative consensus toward the subject, which is completely fine, but don't walk into the kitchen if you can't stand the heat.
    JMATAWWCL and Nako-Chan like this.
  19. Zoot

Zoot Active Member

I'm not a fan of multiboxing. I think it is more fun mastering your one and like others have said, opening up those spots for others to join you. I have seen multiboxing done well and it didn't bother me.

My biggest example was a LS mate on FFXI. I think 4-6 months went by before I even knew these 2 characters were the same person. He never gloated, he never cried over gear, he was just a really good tank and his Taru WHM was a hand-me-down from a friend that he carried on. He would have conversations between his 2 characters and each would get their own points. It was funny seeing new members find out it was actually the same person. In this sense he wasn't trying to get around anything, he just played 2 characters in a very humble way. But, I still don't care much for multiboxing.

*edit, also this guy could have 2 characters at two unrelated events tanking and healing at the same time. He was pretty impressive.
  20. General_JT

General_JT Member

Personally I think multiboxing is cheap as f**k unless you use 2 only and are a tank/healer only.