Mining Basics - Seeking Help

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Kolossus, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Kolossus

Kolossus Active Member

I'm absolutely and completely stuck on level 1 Miner. I open my gathering log, and the level 1-5 page, and select Fire Shards and Ice Shards, the top two entries. I'm in dire need of Ice Shards for crafting(I only have 2 remaining), so I go off on an adventure to find them. I decide to explore the region of Western La Noscea, putting Prospect up to find mining points. I explore an entire half of the zone, not finding one single, solitary mining point. I then hit a literal brick wall, as I come to the gate that enters into the Sahagin Landbase, which is populated by level 40+ mobs.

This can't be functioning as intended, it just can't. I don't see them expecting a level 1 to venture into a level cap area in order to mine shards, and I can't understand why the land is so barren.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, as I am being forced to stop crafting altogether due to my lack of shards.

Thank you.
  2. metallicorphan

metallicorphan Active Member

I only leveled Miner up to about 8,i really didn't like it

I went looking around as well,but could only find mining points just beyond the steps(eighty sins whatever)Western Thanalan,that's the only place i found anything!...they kept respawning though,say there were 5 mining points,when i was on the third or fourth,the first lot reappeared again,as long as Prospect was still buffing
  3. Syn

Syn Guest

1.0 they had sneak and invis abilities for the gathering professions for high level areas, though as a levle 8 I don't know if they are available and you might be too low if it is and would get detected cause I believe they were for mobs 10 levels above you only. My suggestion is to find out which mob drops them the most and farm the hell out of them, or not worry too much about it since the progress wont be saved this phase, xivdb.com might have a reference or so on which mobs drop them or where some nodes might be though I think its still pretty beta and incomplete, worth a shot.
    Kolossus likes this.
  4. Asuna

Asuna Member

It may sound silly, but this is my first time reading about xivdb.com. I've been anticipating an encyclopaedic site for FFXIV ever since I began Beta testing. Thanks Syn!

PS: Gotta love that Google Maps API!
  5. Syn

Syn Guest

NP, happy to help, it hasn't been super advertised, and if you aren't on xivpads.com regularly you probably wouldn't even have heard of it, they have been working on it for a while, I can't wait til its 100% ready.
  6. Asuna

Asuna Member

Seriously. Wowhead was, at times, a distraction from WoW itself! I can tell this database is of comparable, if not greater, quality.

I, too, anticipate its completion.:bookworm:
  7. Syn

Syn Guest

It's fairly new, during 1.0 I used Mooglebox, though they haven't updated for ARR yet.
  8. Kolossus

Kolossus Active Member

Thank you all for the responses.

I received a little bit of coaching in-game from someone who has both gathering classes leveled, and apparently the crystal types are divided up by the classes. For example, ice shards come from low level botany with only a main tool, while fire comes from mining. You won't be able to collect shards that belong to different classes until you've reached level 10 or 11, in which case you'll be able to start collecting crystal types from different gathering classes at a lower rate.

If the information I was provided was incorrect, please let me know. I don't want people to read this thread and be mislead. Also, thank you Syn for citing the XIVDB.com It looks like it will be an amazing tool, as Yellow Gremlin was during the start of 1.0. Speaking of, does anyone know if they're retooling for 2.0's release?
  9. Syn

Syn Guest

They shut down sort of abruptly during 1.0 I used them a lot especially for farming spots, I hope that they will.
  10. Mitoni Katsu

Mitoni Katsu Member

One thing I learned about mining is that until lvl 10, you can only find nodes in the mountains around Ul'dah. At level 10, you get your offhand, which you can equip at lvl 11.

The offhand tool, in this case the sledgehammer, allows you to start mining smaller rocky outcroppings, ie: places outside of Thanalan.

I ran into the same problem with botany, and I'm sure fishing is the same too. Its a game mechanic to keep you closer to the class guildmaster in the earlier levels.

I know I was able to load up on water, fire, and lightning shards on level 5 and 10 mining nodes outside of Uldah.
  11. PokerSavage

PokerSavage Newbie

^^ Is worth repeating, was also enough for me to stop lurking and make an acct, Thank you.

I believe this to be a break in the mechanics of the Gathering Journal then which lists the Ice and Earth Shards as complete-able as lvl 1-5. I don't know about anyone else but it caused me much grief as a ran around trying to find these elusive shards!
  12. Mitoni Katsu

Mitoni Katsu Member

The reason this is, imho, is because the log is kinda broken. For example: [​IMG]

See how this is on the blue pickaxe, which is quarrying. Quarrying is the ability you gain from the offhand I mentioned early. I know for a fact, I have not discovered all those shards yet with quarrying, i have only just started it.

The other thing, which is VERY misleading is that all the shards are located under lvl 1-5. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MINING/BOTANY LEVEL OF THE NODE. If you mine a level 15 node, it may have a shard, which is level 1, yet all other items mined on it are lvl 12-15. ALL shards are level 1 items, which is why they show like this in the gathering log.

Also, it doesn't seem to differentiate where the items have been found, just that it is possible for them to be found there. For example, it would make more sense to me to check off the locations the items are found as well as the items themselves. Otherwise, I may know that this item can be found in locations a, b, and c, even if I have only ever mined in location A. This is confusing, and misleads you to thinking that you have missed something in the area.
  13. Mitoni Katsu

Mitoni Katsu Member

Actually, I got Earth shards very early on, but not from mining. Botany gives them from the first lvl 5 node trees in the North Shard. Same goes for Ice.
  14. Reece

Reece Active Member

They're all very easy to find, I got mining to 23 so far and to be completely honest shard farming because less of a pain at 20.
    You get the 'ward' abilities when used each hit will give you 5 shards instead of 1.
    So if you use on a rock with Gathering Attempts +1 you get a total of 7 hits. 7 x 5 = 35 Shards from one deposit.
  15. Mitoni Katsu

Mitoni Katsu Member

Very good to know, but don't shard costs go up in later levels too for crafting?

Also, it's not bad now. I was in La Noscea and doing botany on the bushes there. Found a group a 5 lvl 15 bushes in a stones throw from each other.

Running between them, got 165 fire shards in 20 minutes, No waiting for respawns. Ill be heading back there again to level botany itself (since shards give barely any xp since they are lvl 1.
  16. Reece

Reece Active Member

How do you mean Shard costs?
  17. Mitoni Katsu

Mitoni Katsu Member

Amount of shards needed per recipe
  18. Reece

Reece Active Member

Oh yeah, sorry totally flew over my head.
    Yeah it does. I got about 26 Alchemy and some recipes even take up to 4.
    Multiple shards, most I seen so far is 3 water and 2 lightning.

EDIT: Water Shards I use for Alchemy, a good place to farm is Horizon. Right outside the gate. Rocky Outcrops.
    I can manage 800-900 an hour there.
  19. Mitoni Katsu

Mitoni Katsu Member

Yea, I don't get what people said about how the secondary skills get less shards compared to the primary. That may be true, but they are less sparse, and heavily farmable.
  20. Reece

Reece Active Member

The thing is, Mining + Botany look like the most efficient way to farm Shards so far. I have a friend who has a ridiculous Botany 32. He can farm around 800-900 aswell an hour.
    Obviously it varies in the spots your in, but honestly that's no time at all and on Diabolos atm. People are buying Shards off the MB for ridiculous prices. I sold 800 for 30K to some dude.