Materia changes

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Xak, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Sword

Sword Well Known Member

It sounds more complex than it really is Aarok. Basically to attach a materia you just need a few things and only a handful of guidelines to go by.

Creating Materia- After completing the quest to create materia, all you have to do is wear a piece of disposable gear until it has spiritbound itself to you. The time it takes to spiritbond an item varies from piece to piece and level to level, but after the gear is spiritbound, all you have to do is de-equip the gear and select the option to crytalize it into materia.

Binding/Melding Materia- When you come across a piece of materia you want to bind to a piece of gear you need to do a few things. First obtain the ability to meld materia by completing a quest, then you will need a piece of gear that's equal too or higher in grade than the materia, make sure the gear has materia slots, and a catalyst that's the same grade as the materia your trying to meld. Select the Bind/Meld option on the piece of gear or materia your trying to put together, select the other components required and wala done. As for what crafter can bind materia for you it depends on what class can repair that piece of gear and what their level is.

Multiple Binds/Meld- Same as above you just have to do a quest to multi-bind/meld, and follow the same procedures. The only difference is until you try to meld more materia than the gear has slots for it's 100% success, if you try for more there's a chance of failure and loosing that piece of materia and the catalyst you were trying to use to bind/meld to the gear. That chance of failure increases with each subsequent piece of materia attached as well as other factors such as the grade of materia and how many are already attached.
    Aarok Dahlmel likes this.
  2. Aarok Dahlmel

Aarok Dahlmel New Member

Wow thanks for sharing the knowledge. I think I grasp the concept now :bookworm:
  3. rhkim85

rhkim85 New Member

Quick question Sword:

In regard to multi-binding, is there no limit to how many materia can be melded to a piece of equipment?

Also, once a materia is affixed to a piece of equipment, you can never equip that same materia on anything else right? (Unbinding materia)?

Thanks. :)
  4. Sword

Sword Well Known Member

My pleasure.

You can equip up too a maximum of 5 materia to any piece of equipment that will allow materia to be attached. This might change in ARR I dunno, but since our information on this is limited atm it's safe to assume it will remain the same.

Yes, the only way to remove materia (at least in 1.0) was you took the gear to the Moblin that taught you how to affix materia, pay him a small fee and he'll remove the materia/s, but end up destroying them in the process. In 1.0 you would lose all the materia attached when you did this, however this might also change in ARR, but like I said before lack of information atm will probably means it will remain the same.

Oh, and just in case you were wondering, what gear constitutes as meldable? All meldable gear will have at least one open socket, at least according to the information given to us already.
    Aarok Dahlmel likes this.
  5. Balaur

Balaur Active Member

I do not believe you need to equip the piece to convert it to materia. I converted several pieces from my inventory, by right-clicking the menus and selecting the "Convert" option therein.
  6. Danforth Wright

Danforth Wright Well Known Member

I thought this too. However, I discovered that those pieces of gear were old items that I used for very short periods of time. What's not clear is how long it takes for a piece to become soul bound. In some cases it's pretty damn fast. So fast you won't even realize it. Unless somebody else can confirm I'm wrong, those items you were converting were most likely soul bound only you didn't know it had even happened.
  7. Sword

Sword Well Known Member

You aren't wrong in that assumption. Spiritbinding seemed worked by these rules in 1.0, and for the most part probably still apply in ARR.

-The higher you're class level is over the gear the faster that gear will spiritbond.

-The higher the mob is over your character the faster gear will spiritbond. (You could SB pretty quick on Primals and in Dungeons)

-You can get spiritbound through any action from taking damage, to damage dealing, gaining experience, casting spells repeatedly, etc.

-You cannot gain spiritbonding from instanced rewards such as fates, guildheists, guildleves, or quests, however actions and exp gained from defeating monsters during those events still apply. (This is probably why Yoshi said it would take longer to SB now, because more exp is gained through these methods than just exp mob grinding).

-All gear has different values when it comes to spiritbonding. (IE: Leather gloves might have a value of 100, while Leather Boots might have a value of 50.)

-The grade of the gear affects the maximum grade of your materia (IE: Grade 2 gear can only yield 1 and 2 grade materia, while Grade 5 can yield 1-5 grade materia though it's rare to get anything beyond a grade lower than the gears grade.)

-Inhibits Spiritbond Gain gear, restricts the users ability to spiritbond any gear save for that item with the restriction, the player must fight enemies equal too or higher than the players/gears level, and must be done solo, bonuses from SB gain items still apply. (Note:Unfinished Relics were the only thing to restrict SB thus far)
  8. General_JT

General_JT Member

omg this materia system is awesome just started breaking down all my 100% sb gear and i have only gotten str materia and heavens eye matera and the vit materia no magic at all.
    So whoever had the theory of magic gear = magic materia and physical gear = physical materia is pretty spot on.
  9. Sword

Sword Well Known Member

Yeah it was pretty convuluted before. There was like 60+ types and each piece of equipment could put out around 20 of those types with roughly 2-4 worthwhile types, and through the magic of Random Number Generation you got crap most of the time.
  10. ThadeusStern89

ThadeusStern89 Active Member

Your post reminded me of something, I mentioned this in a post about pricing in the market place, but there's something inherently illogical and unprofitable about materia melding as an enterprise.

You spiritbond a piece of gear fully, and can no longer sell it. You purchased that piece of gear for let's say 500 gil. You then destroy it to receive a Grade 1 materia for STR(+1). You then meld it to another piece of gear that is more recent. Once that is spiritbonded you have to go to Mutamix and have him remove the materia, destroy your gear, then attach it to another piece of gear. This process continues until you reach level 50, after which destroying your current gear is more costly, so you'll end up attaching all materia you've gotten upto that point to that gear.

My issue is one of benefit vs cost. Destroying your materia gains you a +1 boost to a stat, yet your gear had a greater boost than that and cost you money to buy (unless you crafted it in which case it would be far cheaper). I suppose the idea is that those of a higher level in the crafting classes would be able to advertise their services to meld materia at a price. That would to an extent give an incentive to make materia purely for commercial reasons. Anyway I just feel as if materia are a lot of effort for very little benefit. Small boosts to strength are fairly irrelevant as it is, for instance, but if I have to pay for both the original piece of gear I destroyed to get the materia, as well as a crafter to meld it to a new piece of gear, where is the profit? I'll end up losing all of my money for a very small boost.

Sorry if this is off-topic. :p Does anyone else have these issues? While I agree the changes have been massive, I still find melding to be extremely awkward and (at least early game) ultimately unrewarding and not worth while.
  11. Sword

Sword Well Known Member

Actually before you could sell any non EX gear long as it was repaired to 100%, now any gear that receives any wear and tear will bind to you. The reason they did that was because the craftable market was stagnant till 50 because leveling was fairly quick and you could easily resell the gear after a few levels. When you hit 50 people would attempt the double/triple melds and failing would destroy everything so people started from scratch letting the lv 50 craft market move at a steady pace.

You can still sell materia melded equipment, just unlike before you cannot let it receive wear and become bound to you. And yes there are several ways to buy them, such as buying a pre-melded piece of gear from a crafter or the wards, or getting a crafter to meld the materia for you either by trading the items to him or using the meld service function (which I'm not sure if it's been reimplemented yet).

Well Benefit vs. cost is kind of another issue, you're going to have to deal with it for a bit as the servers economies are going to be a clusterf**k for the first few months, then as prices stablize prices should be more manageable. TBH though, you probably won't need to mess with materia till 45+ when you get the gear you'll more than likely be wearing full time for your job and the benefits start to really make a difference in your performance.

Oh, bit of advice though, don't stack the same types of materia on any one piece of gear, there's a hidden cap that's supposed to affect the variances of how much benefit you get from a particiular stat. IE: You put +30 STR on a shield but it has a hidden stat cap of +15 so the rest goes to waste. I'm sure someone will dat.mine/test the s**t out of gear trying to find those variances and put them into a guide within the first few months, so I wouldn't get carried away at the start.
    ThadeusStern89 likes this.
  12. ThadeusStern89

Yeah these hidden caps are interesting, and entirely sensible if they don't want people buffing a single stat endlessly. The reason I mentioned benefit vs cost was because I want to make a profit off materia that I'm not using. It might end up being more sensible to hold on to materia that I have given the cost to create it.

What's a meld service function? Please tell me it's an NPC you pay to meld materia to your gear for you in a specific crafting guild. That would be amazing. I didn't play 1.0, so I'm not sure exactly what they changed, just that the system was far more complicated back in 1.0.
  13. Sword

Sword Well Known Member

Not quite, it's similar to the repair service function where you don't actually have to trade the materials to the crafter, you basically put the item and the materia you want melded up for request and any crafter capable of doing it can just pass by and take care of it for you for a small pre-determined fee set by SE. (in 1.0 it was like 500 gil with the redonomination of gil it might be 50 in ARR.)
    ThadeusStern89 likes this.
  14. ThadeusStern89

That's still a pretty nice service to have. I wonder why it has yet to be implemented. Maybe because it wasn't worthwhile for people to pursue intense melding during a beta phase that wasn't going to wipe everything.
  15. Sword

Sword Well Known Member

It was in 1.0, but was limited to just the first meld, hopefully they'll expand on it for ARR. I think the main issue that it's not been implemented yet is because the materia system hasn't been fully fleshed out in the game yet, and as far as I know the repair service isn't re-implemented either so it's just one of those things we'll have to wait on till P4 or Launch.
  16. Fybrile

Fybrile Moderator

Hey Sword
    Great posts! If you could copy/paste the posts where you break down the system into a new thread, I'd like to make it a sticky!
  17. Sword

Sword Well Known Member

Sure I'll do it sometime after work tomarrow.
  18. ThadeusStern89

Yes hopefully all of the aforementioned things will be included in Open Beta/ Launch. I want to be able to use materia in lower level classes. I think that crafting classes will get more use out of them, since you'll be levelling new crafts all the time.
    Sword likes this.
  19. Sword

Sword Well Known Member

Fybrile likes this.
  20. Fybrile

Fybrile Moderator

Sword likes this.