Warrior Level 57+ tanking...

Discussion in 'Disciples of War' started by Shadowin, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Shadowin

Shadowin Adventurer

Server:
    Brynhilder
    hello again everyone! I have a question in regards to tanking experiences as you enter the level 57 dungeons.
    I have not had a single issue maintaining aggro up until last night in The Vault, first and second run. All of my gear is up to date, and my typical tomahawk, overpower, overpower then combos as normal did not seem to hold hate for more than 5-10 seconds. My groups said that I was not spamming Overpower enough, which makes no sense to me as blasting it after each combo drained TP like crazy and still lost aggro. Is it because the level 60 members are not iLvL synced down now and I am competing with the full power of iLvL200-210 gear?
    This concerns me because I really hate not being able to hold the enemies

Edit: I would like to add that single target was not an issue holding enmity.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    GeekMatt likes this.
  2. Caimie Tsukino

Caimie Tsukino Realm Scribe

Server:
    Zalera
    Did you remember to put on Defiance?

3. Salem

Salem Adventurer

Probably is the gear difference you stated. I'm not sure if 57 becomes the unsynched cutoff but that would make sense about being suddenly more difficult to hold aggro if true.

4. Shadowin

Shadowin Adventurer

Server:
    Brynhilder
    Haha! Yes I did have defiance on :p
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 12, 2015, Original Post Date: Dec 12, 2015 ---
    Thanks Salem. I know that I am not a terrible tank, definitely not great, and it was making me rethink tanking

5. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Level 59 is where people stop being Synced. I could name off a few skills like Steel Cyclone, but I'm a lousy WAR. It's good that you asked questions from a broader community than just taking the lacklustre advice of one DF party, I'm sure someone like @praysolace @Maaja or someone can give you a solid rotation. I will say though that tanking in this game has much to do with being able to recognize where aggro is being built and how to adapt to it, rather than just always doing X Overpowers.

6. Crimson Requiem

Crimson Requiem Scion

Well tanking a group of mobs is different than single target that's for sure. Especially if you have party members who are a little trigger happy on the AOEs or like to attack mobs that you haven't established enough threat on.

Either number mobs and pray to Hydaelyn that they can count, use Flash, or use Steel Cyclone. The double Overpower at the beginning is fine but you still need to Flash or Steel cyclone mid fight or else you will lose aggro on the other mobs. Cycling/spreading your threat combo on the mobs is also an option but I'm lazy so I just go for steel cyclone or flash. XD

racooperii likes this.
  7. Maaja

Maaja Moderator

Server:
    Bryn, Siren
    As a WAR, I also utilize flash. Especially in circumstances where I know I need to spam OP. No WAR wants to run out of TP, so I keep flash on my bar for those situations. As @GeekMatt said, you will run into situations where you'll have to do that. Another good way to ensure high enmity is to enter the mass mobs with Infuriate, unchained, berzerk - then OP a few times. If you think the loss of aggro will continue, do this each run in with large groups. That combo is a very high aggro generator. Still watch the mobs for slipping. Use flash when you can.

8. Shadowin

Shadowin Adventurer

Server:
    Brynhilder
    Great, thank you for the tips everyone!

9. praysolace

praysolace Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    What Maaj said is good (don't mind me not checking the Realm for days at a time...). The Vault is one of those places where you're basically never going to get yourself a full stack of Wrath on the trash in the first part of the dungeon, though. Like Maaja, I made sure to throw in Flashes, and Infuriate > Steel Cyclone when possible. I threw in next to no single-target attacks on the big Vault pulls, honestly—there's just too many guys.

If you don't have Unchained up but you do have Berserk (since it comes back faster), you could also use Berserk over your Overpowers and a Steel Cyclone, knowing you can still Flash while Pacified.

And of course whenever you get those pulls with a whole mess of guys and one ranged dude, pull them all to the ranged dude. The DPS or healer can really mess you up there if they start letting loose before you've had a chance to get everything into one Overpower cone. I've had party members who do that, and it's not really your fault if they pull aggro before you're even in range.

Were you also having trouble on any of the later pulls with 2–3 enemies, or just the giant ones?

10. Shadowin

Shadowin Adventurer

Server:
    Brynhilder
    It was just the big ones. I had one guy lose interest in me on one of the smaller 3 guys groups but that was my fault. I was already flustered at that point and fat fingered my buttons.

11. Shadowin

Shadowin Adventurer

Server:
    Brynhilder
    The tips have helped greatly! Three runs with no issues now!! Thanks everyone!

Jinzuku, praysolace, Maaja and 2 others like this.