Legacy Vs New Server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Finnalie, Jun 14, 2013.

?

Legacy server or new?

1. Legacy server

32.8%
  2. New server

67.2%
  1. Colt47

Colt47 Active Member

I'm picking a new server over legacy simply because it let's me play on an even play field. It allows me to avoid some of the economy issues the legacy servers will likely have given high level characters will easily dominate the crafting and gathering markets.
  2. Orien

Orien Well Known Member

I honestly don't think it's going to make any difference at all when it comes down to it.

I think everyone here should join one of the legacy servers where folks from Realm are going to be because it would be awesome to get to play with you all in game. You'll have a built in friends list ready to go instead of having to start completely from scratch and I know most of us Vets plan on leveling at least 1 new character to check out the differences in the story line and just to have a sort of fresh start with things. Having friends is never a bad thing (no matter how much of a socially awkward turtle I might be at times :p).
    Aster likes this.
  3. BSpeerTX

BSpeerTX Member

I'm going to love going on a new server. To me, the leveling experience is great when there's a crowd leveling with you. People are available at your level for the dungeons you need, and I do get a little competitive trying to stay ahead of the tidal wave of new players. Also, the people you're with when you down that first dungeon or that crazy guildhest, are the people you recognize late game. Even if they're pugs and not in any of your FC/LS.
  4. Orien

Orien Well Known Member

The majority of people on Legacy servers are going to be new people. I really just don't understand where this misinformation that Legacy servers are going to be filled with nothing but max level characters is coming from.
  5. Aster

Aster Active Member

Not to mention most 1.0 characters that'll be in the legacy servers are those that quit the game within 4 months or less
  6. scrogge

scrogge Member

Stupid Question but can anyone choice a legacy server or do u have to had the original copy? or can i start as a new AAR player on a leagacy server??
  7. Aster

Aster Active Member

You can be a new player and start on a legacy or new server if you wish. You don't have to be legacy, "legacy" is just a name for old 1.0 players that survived the calamity. (and those with legacy status)
    Orien likes this.
  8. Orien

Orien Well Known Member

Yep I mean the number of people playing the game in November when servers went down was under 10K. Servers are being estimated to be around 5k capacity to start out with. So............ that leaves a whole lot of room for new folks. Pretty much everyone I know that I've gotten interested in ARR is planning on rolling on a Legacy server and I would imagine that holds true for many folks whether they are starting fresh as total newbies or folks who left after the flop and just want to start completely anew with a new character. Plus as I've said at least 75% of Legacy players I have spoken to have every intention of starting a fresh character to see everything the game has to offer.
  9. Kassatsu

Kassatsu Member

My Ls has lots of friends and family joining us on our Legacy server. And a lot of people we know are much happier with the changes they got to see in the most recent test. There is no reason for people to be afraid to join legacy servers. There will be so many crafters gear should be easy to come by and help plentiful.
  10. Taintedone

Taintedone Member

First off, Most of my friends and I did not play 1.0. All but myself played FFXI. My group and I are going to be starting out on a new server. One of the reasons I favor a new server is because of the advantage that legacy players would have over me if I played on a Legacy server. Since my friends and I are looking to build a community in this game, it will be easier to do so on a new server. Being that our group is more on the hardcore side, we can also recognize players that are ahead of the curve at the beginning. I feel new servers will be the best place to find new talent. I always liked to pick up new players rather than older players in games. Newer players have more to prove and are usually more willing to learn. Experience however is never a bad thing.

Now I also think new servers can be shaky. I figure that newer players to final fantasy mmos are going to prefer jumping into new servers. This can pose as a problem simply because newer players tend to have little patience in games. Legacy servers for the most part are going to have a community already there. New servers are going to suffer the greatest loss in numbers after launch. Some players will pick up a game, try it for a month or two and give it up. I am hoping this does not happen or that I secure a big enough community to keep our chosen server operational. I was playing WoW not to long ago. I realized that the server I was playing on was starting to die. Being a raider in the server first guild I felt the devastating blow to our servers community when the guild left. Quickly after the guild left, you saw less and less of iconic names from the server. Another view can be that losing some players soon after launch could be a good thing. I would prefer to have players in the server that are going to keep playing it as long as the number loss isn't more than half of the people that started on the server.

All in all, I am very excited to play this game for a long period of time and look forward to building a community on the server we chose as well as joining in on the community on these forums from time to time.
  11. Rostnhaemr Zirnundsyn

Rostnhaemr Zirnundsyn Well Known Member

I'm still leaning towards a Legacy server for the sake of a solid community and fear that 3 months from launch, people will move on to the next "up and coming" MMO like they normally do. That being said, I am not completely opposed to a new server, but I'll let the community decide for me.
  12. Mondo

Mondo Member

Wherever my friends want to roll
  13. Colt47

Colt47 Active Member

Not really sure that a legacy server is going to be any more future proof than a new server. The assumption is being based upon legacy players being the ones who stuck through FFXIV until it got shut down in November of 2012, where in reality it's probably going to be a lot of returning players from the free playing period with pockets of high level players here and there.
    Luko likes this.
  14. Rostnhaemr Zirnundsyn

Well, like I said: I'm on the fence. I'm going to let the community decide for me. If the majority of people I enjoy hanging out with on these board goes Legacy, then I'll go Legacy. If they go New, I'll go New.
    Luko likes this.
  15. Orien

Orien Well Known Member

There's no difference between a legacy or new server.
  16. Luko

Luko Well Known Member

^ There really isn't. I mean hell, the only justifiable reason to join legacy as a new player would be to access the AH that will likely be full much faster than new servers, due to 1.0 characters having max crafting skills. Even so, that's only a benefit for a couple of weeks or so anyway until everyone on new servers levels their skills, so it's not really a gamechanger.
  17. Rostnhaemr Zirnundsyn

Again...community. :p

Whichever server has players that want me to play with them will have a hairy manbear with a Barry White voice gracing their ventrilo/mumble/teamspeak server with their presence.
  18. Orien

Orien Well Known Member

Well the community is going to be good. I will tell you I know the community coming over from 1.0 was awesome without any question. The new community? Who knows for sure, but I am betting it will be great too.
  19. Rostnhaemr Zirnundsyn

I have absolute faith in both the old and new communities. I just want to figure out which one is going to be better suited for me.
  20. Luko

Luko Well Known Member

I'd back this up. There's enough strength from the 1.0 players and the XI vets combined that the toxic mentality will fade out decently quick, assuming there's much of one to begin with. (I just assume on the safe side considering it's still an MMO and people are still people)